Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts, reflections, and all things cool!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Some of you may have read the call to arms From Gary (BS Chairman) when the Alien left us on I 75 near Gaylord MI. That's only part of the story. I thought I would take a minute to fill in the blanks. Ok, so you all know I never shut up so an hour would better discribe the text I'm about to present to you.

"MWC 04" I had photo's to go with the text but Sandy's computer in on strike!

The story really starts the week before the event. The company I work for change software. So I was in training for the entire week before the event. I spent a week 150 miles from home in a hotel. I left for home thursday arriving about 8:30 pm. After changing I went out to prep the car for the trip. With all the things I'm juggling I never had time to wire in the relay for my new fans. So I printed the diagram Scott Kline posted and headed for the garage. I replaced my distributor cap at the same time.

I managed to finish up around 3:30 am. I cleaned up headed to bed. Sandy woke me up at 5:00 am and we packed the car and hit the road. I brought some basic hand tools just incase. As luck would have it we made it about 150 miles before I needed them. We were heading back on our route when the motor simply shut off. After a few minutes of simple tests Sandy spotted an arc shooting from the weather cap over the distributor cap and grounding out on the vacum advance.

She say's I don't think this is supposed to spark here! I removed the new cap to find a vertical arc on the coil wire post under the boot about 3/4 of an inch high and cut deep in the post.

I took a screw driver carved out the carbon in the deep track. Sandy suggested we use some nail polish to seal in any carbon left in the crack. So she pulled out her hot mauve polish and gave the coil post a swipe. I added some electrial tape just incase and reinstalled the cap. One quick tickle of the key and we were back in business.

Some of you would have turned around and went home but were seasoned road trippers. After 29 years we still never shy away from an adventure. My tool wench knows her way around a car since the Big Block Chevy days. She's Cool and hot! wub.gif

During our friday trip to the MWC Gary checked up on us via cell phone. We missed connections with Dave and the others because of the Hour we lost with the cap repair thing and missed an exit that would have taken us away from Down Town Chicago. We ran right into rush hour traffic! We spent 4-5 hours moving 3 feet and waiting 5 minutes to move 20 feet then stop again. You get the picture! About 2/3 the way through Chicago traffic My clutch started to grab when dis-engaged. I hopped off the freeway and gave the adjustment nut a few cranks and we were ready to go. I thought I should check on the fans while I was stopped. Guess what, No fans! My temp gauges were reading 192 deg. the whole way through chicago traffic for hour after hour my temp held at 192 with no fans! That's really Cooool!

We finally made it to the hotel around midnight. Sandy was tired but sent me over to the Bar next to the hotel as an ambassidor to see if anyone was still up. I met Rich and Amy Brennick and they bought me a couple of cold ones. You all know that was chilly cool! beerchug.gif

The next morning was an exciting time. First we ran into Ed (ejm) we were really looking forward to seeing him again. He made it a point to invited us to the East Coast event! We're seriously thinking about attending.

So many people, names and faces! We parked the Alien in the arc right next to
Dave O! I proceeded to hunt down Gary, Tom, Hawk, and all the SMOG guy's I could find. Man they have some Great cars! Sandy and I looked for Qarl and had a great time talking everyone. Sandy owes a special thanks the Sean! you know why buddy! Thanks!

We were honored with trophies for the furthest distance driven and the Best Conversion! Thank you all for your vote. I'm humbled by the reccogintion. I glad you all enjoy seeing my work.

we met Brad Mayuer! I've spoken with him on the phone for 15 + years but never met him! We swapped stories about a car my friend bought from him many years ago. That was cooool!

I spoke with Bob Stoddard! Never thought I'd meet with him in this life! I used to buy my 356 parts from him!

The road to to Hell has many turns! Some more dangerous than others. There were several "good guy's" along the way waiting to set you back on the straight and narrow. We managed to slip under their radar and met up with the rest of the Damned! The costume shop had ice cream, t-shirts and goolish walking hands! That was Goooool!

We found couple of souviners at the Automobile memrobilia Store. Some VW stuff for our youngest son. The said cool in his own way.

We shared dinner with a great group of SMOGers. the waitress was a hoot!

After dinner we checked into seanery's room for a viewing of the WCC 04 Video and a cold one. Gint tried to hack into my computer so we could get on line but we chickened out! happy11.gif

Sandy and I got up early and headed up I 75 tword the Upper Peninsula. About 150 miles out the car bucked once, then again, the shut off. We checked the coil wire at the cap first! But that wasn't it. We had no spark at the cap this time. I looked at the coil and discovered the female wire end was arc'ed and melted off. I had a jumper wire in the tool kit with a female end on it. I did a quick splice and we were back on the road. Don't know why it happened. Could have been related to the other coil thing.

About 50 miles or so later I heard a belt squeel sound and quickly stepped in the clutch. the motor died and we coasted to the shoulder. The rest is a repeat as I posted the crash in the rental car and our near death collsion after rescuing the car from Gaylord MI.

We're home now and working out tails off the get out career work load back in line. The Alien is on the trail in the shop. We're happy to be home and thankful we're safe and not dead.

All things considered, this was a great test for the car and our relationship. The conversion held up fine. No mount, or custom made plates, flywheel, or bracket issues. The motor failure is a set back but not related to any conversion. just a motor issue.

We are glad we went. And really enjoyed meeting with all of you. After all It's about the people. That's coool! aktion035.gif
Howard
Rich, I've decided that you have a good time where ever you go. You're just a really nice guy with a really nice wife. Your kids ain't so bad either, but where is my CD? biggrin.gif
Hawk
Rich,
Youve got big cahones. And Sandy's a lucky girl. Great write-up!
With your attitude youre gonna be drivin these things for a long, long time. Hope to see you next year. But Gint may take the farthest distance traveled burnout.gif
-hawk
Gint
You're definitely one of the rare breed Rick. I'm glad I finally got to meet you.
seanery
agree.gif with all those above me.

It was great to meet you and your lovely wife!
jim912928
Rick, ditto all the above and also thanks for all the moral support you gave on this website as I crunched my car together over those last two weeks. I was even wondering if I would make it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.