Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What fan is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blaize
Ok I have just finished throwing my engine together and with luck it will go in this weekend. My old cooling fan was missing damn near half its blades so I got a used one that is perfect, but it has no TDC mark. this is no big problem really, I just made one with nail polish. It is not perfect of course as I was looking down the plug hole to find TDC but it will have to do. here is the question though. it only had one mark on it, a red line that given its placment I assume is the full advance mark. the engine is a 2.0 but what fan is this? are they all the same? exactly what is that mark?

Since the engine is out I have been cleaning things up in its hole, repainting it, new wiring, and I decided to replace the fuel lines. All the older techs at work (Porsche dealer) tell me they saw tons of engine fires in 914's way back when. but I looked and THE F*CKING TUNNEL LINES ARE PLASTIC!!! what on earth is that all about. Crazy Nazi bastards. Anyone ever have any trouble with these lines, or am I overreacting? the car is now on carbs (Don't start P.O. did it) so the press. will be lower. any input?
Brad Roberts
Never had a problem with those plastic lines. The fires are started from the 90degree bend in the small injector hose. They spring leaks and dump gas down to the heat exchangers. The plastic lines have NO pressure on them/in them so they rarely (if ever) fail. Every new Porsche sold has black plastic lines running from the tank to the engine..even the latest factory Porsche race cars.

The red mark on 2.0 fans is 27deg. It should have had a notch for TDC painted white. Oh.. real men use a paint marker... NOT nail polish... lol2.gif

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 11 2004, 10:19 PM)
...Every new Porsche sold has black plastic lines running from the tank to the engine..even the latest factory Porsche race cars.

these would be the factory race cars where every gram counts, where the philosophy is "hey, racing is dangerous," and the cars come with on-board fire systems laugh.gif

seriously - the real test is that the street cars - the ones sold to doctors and lawyers - come that way... the new black plastic stuff is lots better than the old clear stuff but you're absolutely right - for a lot of reasons - it's just not a factor.
Marlow
I thought the factory moved the FI fuel pump up front under the gas tank in later year cars (I could be wrong). Then the "feed" line would be pressurized with ~30psi, correct? My pump is up front (74) but the PO moved it there. I just replaced the plastic lines with steel just for my own peace of mind while I had the gas tank out dealing with some rust issues.
Brad Roberts
Your correct Joel (75+76 cars). When the factory moved the pump.. they changed to different lines. They used the black plastic lines.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.