Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coating on the Lug nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I have some lug nuts that are powder coated where it contacts the rim, whats a good method of removing the powder coating, sandpaper, paint remover ?
I read paint on the contact area it is NOT good, it can screw up proper torquing of the wheels.
underthetire
You could try a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Powder coating can be a bitch to get off!
SUNAB914
Dremel
Gint
I've removed powder coat with a 2" round scotch brite pad on a die grinder. Zipped it right off. Won't help you much with recessed lug bolt holes, but the point is you should be able to get it off.
6freak
throw them away and get new ones ...problem solved smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 28 2011, 08:18 AM) *
I've removed powder coat with a 2" round scotch brite pad on a die grinder. Zipped it right off. Won't help you much with recessed lug bolt holes, but the point is you should be able to get it off.

D'oh! You said lug nuts. Get one of these if you have a die grinder or an electric drill. It should work great for the seating surface of lug bolts.

http://www.shop3m.com/60980018810.html?WT....oc-Sanding-Disc

They have smaller kits that you can buy at your FLAPS for under $15 IIRC. I was just looking at one this morning at Autozone.
Jacob
Yes, powdercoat on the contact point can change the torque setting a little. All you have to do is put a little bit of oil between the bolt head and where it meets the wheel. For that matter, a change in temperature will change the torque setting. Wheels don't need to be super accurate, torque them to 90 lbs/ft and you are good.
913B
Thanks for all the suggestions guys !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.