Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch Distributor VS MSD Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ghianto66
Is thre anyone have experiance w/ melted distributor rotor? I have 2.0 motor with MSD 6AL and SS blaster coil, I drive for 100miles but suddenly engine stop, I check for ignition but no FIRE. I check for distributor and it shown melted rotor. I change w/ new rotor but when 100miles it happen again. Distributor its self is original BOSCH. Anyone know which rotor that fit w/ bosch and can hold MSD fire?
Mike Bellis
Never seen that happen before. I would assume bad spark plug wires on the engine. The arc is being consumed in the distributor and not the spark plug. Possibly a bad engine ground.
Krieger
I have a MSD 6A Box and Blaster 2 coil with close to 10, 000 miles. Stock distibutor, but my rotor is a stock rev limiting rotor. Maybe check your wires for too much resistance or your plugs could be the issue. I run older style bosch copper core plugs, I can't remember but MSD has recommendations on plugs to avoid. MSD has an fantastic assistance line. Check your instructions for the number. You might have to stay up late or get up early...let us know what you figure out.
kconway
There are numerous threads on this issue on Pelican. I think I remember reading you have a high resistance path between the plugs and heads. The return current is having to go through the resistor in the rotor instead of the head. Pull the plugs and clean up the threads at each cylinder...I think?
Ghianto66
I have check for spark wire and its shown 0 ohm, spark plug I use Bosch.SS blaster produce 40.000volt. I have once use rotor w/ rev limiter but takes only 1 hour driving, its crack in the midle. I have contack MSD, now I just wait for them to replay..

Mike & Andi, thank for your advice I'll check for ground status.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ghianto66 @ Nov 28 2011, 12:33 AM) *

Is thre anyone have experiance w/ melted distributor rotor?...Distributor its self is original BOSCH. Anyone know which rotor that fit w/ bosch and can hold MSD fire?

I had one explode.
You mentioned the distributor is Bosch - is the ROTOR also Bosch?

My exploding rotor was a generic (Beck-Arnley?) replacement - all I could get locally.
Replaced it with a real Bosch rotor and never had that problem again.
Ghianto66
Yes, mine was BOSCH distributor and rotor, the rotor it self is NOS where noted W-
Germany. Ground connection is good, I have add more cable to make the connection more adequate.

I'll try to drive this car about 100 again tomorrow, if this still happend again I let you guys know.

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 28 2011, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Ghianto66 @ Nov 28 2011, 12:33 AM) *

Is thre anyone have experiance w/ melted distributor rotor?...Distributor its self is original BOSCH. Anyone know which rotor that fit w/ bosch and can hold MSD fire?

I had one explode.
You mentioned the distributor is Bosch - is the ROTOR also Bosch?

My exploding rotor was a generic (Beck-Arnley?) replacement - all I could get locally.
Replaced it with a real Bosch rotor and never had that problem again.
sean_v8_914
rotor to cap engagement depth
Gint
I remember a very old thread about someone modifying or changing the resistor in the rotor. What I can't remember is why, but I seem to recall an MSD or high voltage coil was part of the reason for the mod. Do a search.
Gint
Check out this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16122&

Here is a link to search results for +rotor +resistor
Cap'n Krusty
I don't have a fix, but I've seen the problem on more than one car.

The Cap'n
wingnut86
Also keep in mind that Jakarta is always hot and humid, so all of the above mentioned factors are critical due to the moisture content in the air. We've shown that the humidity in the southern US can rot these cars and create additional headaches with the electrical. That's another reason that you want a Bosch part in a Bosch distributor in your region, as the tollerances are tighter with the OEM (not always the case since the mid-80's).

Are you using the car as a daily driver locally? If so, rethink how you want the electrical to be exposed to this climate on a daily basis.

My experience is on older cars driven in Penang, Singapore, Guam and Korea - so your local weather is a bit different.

Good Luck

flag.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The big question here is why do you think you need an MSD ignition? In stock, or even somewhat modified 914s, the stock coil and distributor are sufficient for the needs of the engine. Sometimes too much is actually too much.

The Cap'n
MartyYeoman
I run a MSD 6AL with a Bosch Blue coil, stock Bosch dizzy and stock non-rev limiter rotor. MSD plug wire set and a Pertronix points module. All this on a L-jet motor. I've never had a problem with this combination. It really smoothed the idle and removed the pinging I was plagued with. I'm quite happy with it.
Marty
Ghianto66
back from my journey, around 300 miles outside from town-Jakarta. I have twice change my rotor, the last one is caused my 6AL got shortage. I check for 6AL firing to jumper via magnetic cable but still no spark lead. I contact MSD support, and he said that probably caused by back-firing and cased 6AL no function.

i decide to use SS Blater Coil due to unavailable good Bosch in Indonesia.

My friend told me to use rotor from CB(VW) product (Max....).

now "he-my car" have to be stay in may garage for long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.