Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raising spindles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
Im getting a '76 911 front suspension set up and have heard that a good way to lower the car is to raise the spindle height. Is this a good idea? What would be the best way to do this?
JWest
If they are original Bilsteins then it is (relatively) straight forward.

If not, then it is beyond the capability of most DIYers.

Racer Chris can do it for you: Tangerine Racing
Andyrew
I'd have someone else do it...

I bought mine pre done, so I cant tell you anything about that..
andys
I have '89 Carrera Boge struts. Just above the spindle, the strut tube transitions to a larger diameter. It doesn't appear that this raising mod is posssible on these; am I right?

Andy
JWest
QUOTE(andys @ Aug 12 2004, 02:17 PM)
I have '89 Carrera Boge struts. Just above the spindle, the strut tube transitions to a larger diameter. It doesn't appear that this raising mod is posssible on these; am I right?

Andy

Correct. They can be raised by sectioning the tube at the top and bottom, but not the conventional way.
jgiroux67
They are boge struts. So would taking it to a local porsche mechanic be the best way? Is there a better way to lower the front of the car?
bernbomb914
There is a pair on ebay with 3 hrs left @ $153.00 are they considered a good job? they are power coated also

Bernie
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jgiroux67 @ Aug 12 2004, 04:10 PM)
They are boge struts. So would taking it to a local porsche mechanic be the best way? Is there a better way to lower the front of the car?

A Porsche mechanic won't be able to modify the struts.

You can just turn the height adjustment screws to lower the car. You will also need to install steering rack spacers and realign the front end.

If you are trying to lower the car a lot then the spindle modification is worthwhile.
brant
Its hard to define "better"...
The spindle change is not really necessary for street ride height.. and not incorporated even for most racecars due to the cost and due to most racing rules prohibiting this on stock type classifications...

So if you just want to lower your street car then yes there is a better way. The 911 suspension is theoretically just like your 914 suspension... Turn the adjustment screw on the torsion bars and the car will raise/lower.

If you run out of range, then re-index your torsion bar and it will raise/lower for another full range.

When your all done get it aligned as any change in ride height will throw off your alignment significantly.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.