Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What tires do you run?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Ok, I get my Fuchs next week. What tires should I get for overall use. I want preformance for the street and autoX?

My car is stock so high HP is not an issue.

What size and brand do you run? How do you like them?

driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Two words:

Falken Azenia's

Best bang for the buck. Average price is 65-70$ a tire and they STICK like glue.

205-50-15

Treadware rating on the side says: 200... they are full of sh_t. More like 80-100.

Run them around town on 32-33 lbs and pump them up to 40-41 for AutoX.

I have upwards of 5 cars running on them in this area right now and they are tad slower at the AutoX compared to the cars on 175$ a piece "sticky tires". The tire was specifically designed to meet a certain requirement in SCCA SoloII competition. What is says on the side of the tire is not what it actually is (treadware)

B
Andyrew
What about the Kumho Ecasta's 711's?

Pretty darn cheap... So far on the street I have yet to find their limits..

Brad, how do those stick compared to the Falkens?
Brad Roberts
They suck. LOL

I think Nathan has been trying to run them at AutoX and he was talking about buying the Falkens.

B
GaroldShaffer
I use the Falkens when I AX. Not the best when the road is wet, but then again I usually don't drive in the rain. On the street I run Bridgestone Potenza's. You can tell a BIG difference between the two. The Falkens stick like glue, I ran them for a few weeks on the street. For the price you can't beat them.

- Garold
Andyrew
Well hopefully the kuhmo's are sticky enough for the v8 for street. I have other rims that I'll put softer compound tires on. I think for long lasting street use the kumo's are good.. But those Falkens do have better grip.. less life though...

Great for to and from events.. hehe
bernbomb914
I always try to be differant (stupid) I just installed Nittos on my ATS wheels, V rated, 205-55 and they fit on stock fenders. Under $70.00, 200 compound, look great but they are for the street only. does anyone know anything about these tires.

Bernie
mikester
I was running Bridgestone Potenzas for street as well. I really liked them - they were a very quiet tire in my opinion.
qa1142
Falken Azenia's

Sport or ST-115
????
Aaron Cox
azenis****

you want the one with the insane tread pattern.... i love mine... people dont bother to ask about the car anymore... "where'd you get them tires????"
nebreitling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 12 2004, 02:10 PM)
They suck. LOL

I think Nathan has been trying to run them at AutoX and he was talking about buying the Falkens.

B

i've got the ecsta 712's. they're an OK street tire, but i would recommend against them for anything more than that:

i don't think our cars are heavy enough for them to work. with a relatively stock setup, i can get into 4-wheels drifts at the AX in them. they don't seem to heat up at all, and even on canyon runs, seem a bit "skiddish". neither do they give much warning before they break traction.

as soon as i recover from this summer (ie, as soon as i have BOTH paychecks coming in instead of just the current one) i'm gonna get the falkens for AX and put the 712's on another set of rims for street.
GaroldShaffer
Sport or ST-115

Sport
thomasotten
So, you guys "really" like that tread pattern? I don't really care for that pattern. Maybe the valance will hide the pattern.
Brad Roberts
The key is: the pattern works.

B
GaroldShaffer
The key is: the pattern works.

agree.gif even this novice AX'er can tell the difference.
thomasotten
Ok, the pattern works. But.... well......what would be your second pick?

I have Yokohoma A-509 tires on my car. I don't think they make them anymore, but they sure look nice.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 12 2004, 08:58 PM)
Ok, the pattern works. But.... well......what would be your second pick?

I have Yokohoma A-509 tires on my car. I don't think they make them anymore, but they sure look nice.

looks are decieving. performance is incapable of perjury (sp)
ChrisReale
How do the Aziens compare to VRacers?
carreraguy
I've heard a few good comments about Yoko ES100's; around $73 from TireRack. I plan on using them for street and the occasional autox.
DougC
Brad, do you have those Falken's in larger sizes for my 8" Fuchs and flares? I need 225/50/15 for the fronts and 245/?/15 for the rears..

Doug C
GaroldShaffer
Have you checked vulcantire?

http://www.vulcantire.com
lapuwali

The A509 isn't made anymore. My favorite street tire for years. They weren't a very good AX tire, though. Tried to run them once after nearly a season of running A008RSIIs (the hot AX tire of the day), and the difference was alarming.

I haven't been to an AX in many years, but when I did them (in the Midwest), the people at the front ran AX-only tires, not dual-use tires. The A008s would wear out in about 500 miles of street use, so people either carried them to the event and swapped there, or swapped in their driveway and drove there, if the event wasn't too far away, then swapped again when they got home.

This still true, or is it common locally to run dual-use tires?

I ran a Honda CRX that was totally stock except for AX tires, and was competitive in Stock (several wins, never placed more than a couple of tenths below the winner if I didn't). If I ran street tires instead, the difference was 2-3 seconds on a 60 second course.
GaroldShaffer
I usually put the Falkens on at home, drive to the AX (5 -40 miles away) run the AX then come home and swap back to my Bridgestones Potenza's for street use.
phantom914
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 12 2004, 02:21 PM)
I use the Falkens when I AX. ....................................On the street I run Bridgestone Potenza's. You can tell a BIG difference between the two.
- Garold

What flavor of Potenza's out of curiosity?

I have the RE750's on a street car and I wouldn't need to go any faster on the street.

Andrew
rhodyguy
my potenza RE71 (205-50-15) stick like crazy on the street. i haven't given them a go at the a-x yet. i run them at 32psi. b's inflation #'s for an a-x were interesting.

kevin
Britain Smith
The Falken's feel just as good on the AX course as my Yok Advants which cost $180 each. They are the best tire for the money...I promise you that.

GET THE FALKEN's...no questions asked!!

-Britain
theol00
on the street I run a set of Dunlop S9000 - they are an ok street tire - they came with the wheels - for the track I just got a set of AVON Tech R on 15x6 and the tire is 205ZR50x15-they are DOT approved, however they have only 2 grooves and are not at all recommended in the rain and I only drive them to the track.

http://www.avontyresusa.com/tires/tech_r.html

I ran these tires at Sears Point - I like them a lot they stick very good
cha914
Get the falkens...I run them on my daily driver 90 BMW 325is...got about 10K on them so far, still have half tread left and they still stick good.

They are fine in the wet, just not good in puddles...I even autox'ed them on the wet and they stuck great!

Bunch of guys in our region run them, talked to an acura driver that got 28K outa one set...but he said they were very bad at the end tongue.gif ... you can't go wrong for the price.

Tony C.

I gotta start driving the teener more so I can burn off these crap street tires and get some falkens
qa1142
Faulken's are ordered. be in Tuesday (rims Tuesday night!)

Also new rotors and pads for all 4 corners.

Thinking Koni's w/ perches and 140# springs will be next.

Then motor this winter when it is cold, wet, and white here in chicago.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give you an update after I run some miles on them.
IronHillRestorations
Brad,

How do you like Yoko AVS? I got a couple closeout sets, and just wondering your .02

PK cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.