Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best adhesive for roll bar vinyl trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reharvey
Going to glue the vinyl trim to the top of the roll bar only. Not planning to use the trim on the sail panels. I did one of these years ago using 3M heavy duty spray adhesive and it didn't work so well. What have you used? Ray
Phoenix-MN
Hands down this is the best stuff I've ever used.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_list...6_A_CatID_E_406
Socalandy
I went with Worth brand but it didnt hold well after 6 months so I went with 3M high temp. Works great and even my headliner stays put in the desert heat
andys
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Nov 28 2011, 01:07 PM) *

Hands down this is the beast stuff I've ever used.

I've used the non-vinyl trim specific Weldwood contact cement, and it always worked very well for me, so I'm not surprised you recommend the Weldwood in your link.

Andy1
reharvey
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Nov 28 2011, 03:07 PM) *

What can I use to spray this Weldwood adhesive on? Will my paint spray gun work? Thanks, Ray
IronHillRestorations
3M super trim and vinyl adhesive spray. The important thing is the application technique. Position it, secure it with tape, pull down the top half, spray both halves let dry per instructions, apply vinyl, repeat process for the lower half. If you try and put the whole thing on at once, you'll never get it lined up right.
jonferns
I used 3M Super 77 adhesive. Mask off all the areas that you dont want any glue to get on, spray the glue on both the vinyl and the rollbar in opposite directions, then position the vinyl (helps to have 2 sets of hands). This applies to both top and side pieces of rollbar vinyl (I just now read that you are only doing the top).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Good luck bye1.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(reharvey @ Nov 28 2011, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Nov 28 2011, 03:07 PM) *

What can I use to spray this Weldwood adhesive on? Will my paint spray gun work? Thanks, Ray

I used a 2" brush. I brushed a smooth even coat on both surfaces let tack and then put it together. I've tried many of the sprays over the years but they don't have nearly the solids in them to work well. They always end up pealing off.
scotty b
agree.gif on the 3M. As Perry said you MUST let the pieces tack up properly before applying. If you try to adhere them wet it WILL NOT last. The peices should feel dry to the touch before attatching
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 28 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I used 3M Super 77 adhesive. Mask off all the areas that you dont want any glue to get on, spray the glue on both the vinyl and the rollbar in opposite directions, then position the vinyl (helps to have 2 sets of hands). This applies to both top and side pieces of rollbar vinyl (I just now read that you are only doing the top).

Good luck bye1.gif

That looks great Jon, where did you get the vinyl?
reharvey
QUOTE(reharvey @ Nov 28 2011, 02:18 PM) *

Going to glue the vinyl trim to the top of the roll bar only. Not planning to use the trim on the sail panels. I did one of these years ago using 3M heavy duty spray adhesive and it didn't work so well. What have you used? Ray

Thanks to everyone for the info. It's been very helpful. Ray
jonferns
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Nov 28 2011, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 28 2011, 03:34 PM) *

Good luck bye1.gif

That looks great Jon, where did you get the vinyl?

Hmm, good question...im pretty sure I got it from Camp914. Matches the original stuff perfectly.
EdwardBlume
Use the can as a roller but it will squeegy out excess goo. I used the super hold 3M with great results...
TheCabinetmaker
I've been building cabinets and plastic laminate countertops for 40 years. I use a spray can contact cement that I get from my Formica or Wilson Art wholesaler for on site touchup or a spot repair/reglue. In a pinch, I will use the 3m adhesive. Its almost as good as my sprayable contact cement.

Always spray both surfaces, and let dry till it does not transfer to your finger when you touch it. If it sticks to your finger, its not ready and it won't hold. A double coat around the edges (very light second coat) is a good idea too.

If you brush it, you must do it evenly without any globs or lumps.
The vinyl will show every imperfection underneath it. The cardinal rule here is " cleanliness is next to godliness". One speck of debris will ruin the job.

Btw, there is a difference between the sprayable contact cement and the old Weldwood "gorilla snot" in the can. You do not want to put that brushable contact in your spray gun, unless you just want to buy a new gun anyway.

One more thing. Don't use the waterborne adhesive. It won't stick!
sean_v8_914
3m super 90
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 29 2011, 05:57 AM) *

Btw, there is a difference between the sprayable contact cement and the old Weldwood "gorilla snot" in the can. You do not want to put that brushable contact in your spray gun, unless you just want to buy a new gun anyway.

This is the Spray grade stuff, use lots of solvent and a cheap gun

Click to view attachment

andys
I used 3M super 77 on some portions of my dash vinyl that were separating. Two months later, it was separating again. Having a can of Weldwood "Gorilla Snot" on the shelf, I brushed it on (both surfaces, etc), and it's stuck; in fact I tried peeling a corner and it's REALLY stuck. Not very scientific of a test, but nevertheless it demonstrated to me how much better that old school stuff works.

Andys
reharvey
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 29 2011, 11:37 AM) *

I used 3M super 77 on some portions of my dash vinyl that were separating. Two months later, it was separating again. Having a can of Weldwood "Gorilla Snot" on the shelf, I brushed it on (both surfaces, etc), and it's stuck; in fact I tried peeling a corner and it's REALLY stuck. Not very scientific of a test, but nevertheless it demonstrated to me how much better that old school stuff works.

Andys

Looks like the Weldwood products are the way to go. I recieved lots of useful info on this post and it's much appreciated. Thanks to everyone! Ray
TheCabinetmaker
Weldwood is the original, still the strongest, and will destroy more brain cells than any other.
reharvey
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 29 2011, 12:16 PM) *

Weldwood is the original, still the strongest, and will destroy more brain cells than any other.

Ha Ha! Yes I've had a few adhesive " highs ". wacko.gif
76-914
I used the 3m 77 stuff years ago on my airplanes interior and was not satisfied with the results after it began to loosen it's grip. Granted, the climate changes are more radical and quicker than an auto will experience so this may not be an apples to apples comparison. I located an automotive interior supplier and bought some stuff in a blue and white spray can. I don't remember the name of the stuff but I do remember the counter guys laughing off the 3m stuff. Evidently not the choice of the "pros". Also, I did not care for the Wurth's product either. My 2 cents
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.