Jenny
Thanks. I'm going to have nightmares tonight. laugh.gif

Jen
Engman
5 of 7
Engman
6 of 7
JeffBowlsby
That very first shot is odd Mark...Its a 1974 car, but it has a fuel pump cover like the 1975-76 cars? I have never seen or heard of this before on any 1974 car...is it true?
Engman
7 of 7
type47
rust free mid-west car?
Engman
Yep it is a 75-76 cover. I have been working on this car from the back to the front - last thing I did was to covert to a 75-76 pump and relocate it. This is really the worst part of the car past or present. I still have a little welding to do to the battery tray and engine shelf but that is a cakewalk compared to the front trunk. Rear trunk is perfect.

Mark

Jenny - it is a midwest car - ask rustboy (Lawrence) what he had to do to his.. I really would not consider saving it but it is an LE. Rare in these parts - common in CA.
Gint
agree.gif with Jenny. That's ichy.
beemie96
Holy Crap! That looks worse than mine! What do you do to fix the channels the rubber seal goes in?
Engman
The channels will be pretty easy - bend up some sheet metal and cut to fit, weld grind weld some more grind a little more. I do not mind the work, but I gotta find the front trunk piece or pieces to rip out the old rusty one. This will not be done quickly, plan is to do this over the winter. Engine is rebuilt (stock 2.0 with FI) brakes are done, possible repaint next year. It is a creamsicle.

M
1bad914
Cut 22 or 20 guage sheet to the right size use a metal brake to bend it and weld it on. It is actually two pieces. I'm terrible at explaining how, I 'm better at showing you how. I'm replacing a large chunk of my front channel this Sunday. I'll take a few pics and explain how I do it. That is typical mid-west rust. My back trunk was about that bad, it is now fixed and looks great, my front trunk is solid, but the seal channels are bad.

It amazes me how these cars all rust in different ways. My donar cars front and back trunk are perfect and the floor boards are perfect, but the hell hole, longs, sail panels and front fenders are swiss cheese. I'm basically taking two 73 2.0 and making one good one. Welcome to the rust belt! Good luck Engman! welder.gif
JeffBowlsby
but it is an LE. Rare in these parts - common in CA.

The heresy with which you speak young man.... wink.gif

Turns out there are not that many in CA...something like about 10-12 are *believed* to be here but the records are not complete...

Canada has about 10 also, including some of the nicest known to exist....the rest are scattered around the USA here and there...and a Bumblebee has been located in der fatherland

There are only 30-some Creamsicles known to exist...you are to be applauded. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Got it Mark. I'll see if we have a white 73/74 front clip. You have a lot of spot welds to remove. The entire front panel needs to come off. I'll bring a complete front panel with buckets and floor all the way to the wall. It is too bad we cut this current car the way we did. Fortunately the others are cut differently.

B
Brad Roberts
Jeff,

I spoke with Louis today and asked him if any Grasshoppers had been through the shop. He has been with HPH for 10+ years. I asked if he had parted out any LE's that may be buried upstairs. He said no.. but knew of some pieces upstairs.

B
Brad Roberts
For the record..I would never cut an LE.

B
GaroldShaffer
Thanks. I'm going to have nightmares tonight

Jenny a pic of the little rust issue from the LE car I picked up last fall happy11.gif

Boo
GaroldShaffer
one more happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
Welcome to Indiana SALT.

B
JeffBowlsby
For the record..I would never cut an LE.

B

Your faithfulness to the 914 LE cause is well known B-meister... rolleyes.gif
GaroldShaffer
Mark, do you need rims for the car? I have a set off the creamsicle car I had.

edit: one is bent but the tire still held air???
Engman
Thanks - but I have the Mahles from the 74'. These are on my 73' driver - painted silver. Plan is to swap these back after they are repainted the correct color this winter. I have a set of fuchs that will go onto the 73'.

BTW - this will not see salt again - do not drive any 914's during that time of year. It is about a three month period here.

Yep it is going to take some time - I will post progress pics after I get started.

M
Eric_Shea
Hey Jeff,

My 74 Tub had some 75 bits on it. Namely the p-valve mount and brake lines. I found out when I went to mount the Rich mount.

If anyone else is contemplating mounting a Rich Johnson -6 engine mount on a 75-76 (late 74-76) car, the best bet would be to call HPH or a salvage yard and get the proper early 74 rear brake lines. This includes the end fitting at the firewall. You'll also have to cut the bracket off the firewall to get the mount to fit (again, late 74-76).

Luckly I had my early 74 tub still around when I found this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.