Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All this talk about dipping/blasting....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm on a serious budget here, and I'm in the process of removing paint/seam sealer/rust. I've got most things under control, but what's the best way to get that nasty rust harboring foam out of the corners of the rear fenders? Also, where else did they put that junk? Aslo, what's the best way to remove undercoating?
GWN7
On a budget.....use grease...elbow grease. Lots of hacking, scraping, wire wheeling, heat gun useage, ect.

I figure amount of hours doing the above compared to what it would cost to dip a car against a hourly wage and add in my sanity (well what's left of that) and diping is the way to go. wink.gif
mightyohm
Britain knows. I think he uses a special wire wheel on an angle grinder.
bondo
Of all these, I can only see the heat gun doing anything to the foam, and even then probably not much. Should i just go with my instinct and burn it out with a torch? (I'm talking about the stuff that's crammed into the most inaccessable places, like above the taillights, and above the cutouts for the door handles) I would really like to know where else this stuff is so I can get it before it gets me smile.gif I seem to recall a mention of it being inside the trunk lids? Not sure tho.
silver2.0
A torch will distort the metal, Just use paint remover. Nasty ass stuff, but it works awsome, just wipe it on, let it sit a couple minutes, and the pain just bubbles up. I bought mine at NAPA, don't remember the exact name of the stuff.
i love porsche
ive been doing this the entire summer to my car!

your most important ingredient is elbow grease.

you will also want an angle grinder, dremel, paint stripper, navi wash, heat gun and scraper....use all that, time and energy...and it will work
ThinAir
Well I'm a long way from getting back to work on my 72, but when that day comes I'll be interested in dipping. Does anyone know of a dipper in the Phoenix, AZ area?
jgiroux67
How much does an acid dip cost?
Oh yeah for the stuff on the floor pan I used an air chisel- worked like a charm and very quickley!
And yes there is foam in the ends of the trunk lids.
Mike9142.0
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Aug 12 2004, 10:22 PM)
Does anyone know of a dipper in the Phoenix, AZ area?

I do w00t.gif
Sparky
If your down to metal only on the tub take it to a large powder coating company and ask them to burn it for you. Most powder companies burn paint off of metal then lightly blast it to remove any residue.

Good luck!
Mike D.
1bad914
I use a propane torch and a wide bladed chisel to remove tar board, the foam stuff burns away really well, just don't put to much heat on it. I like to play with fire! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.