Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just made some more room....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Just thought I'd share a couple progress pics... (Ignore the rust) smile.gif

Left side:
bondo
Right side: (Notice anything missing?)
Brad Roberts
We dont need no stinking engine shelf...

I like the green color.

First time I did that... I cut a brake line...LOL

B
dakotaewing
So, How did you take it out...?

Drill bits....?

Sawzall?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
bondo
I had planned on just going in there and drawing lines with the acetylene pencil... but once I got in there, I chickened out (too many brake lines, brake cables, and important suspesion members that would be right behind stuff I would cut). I ended up using my trusty $24.99 air body saw from Harbor Freight. Did all that with only two blades, and it went real fast. The blades will even bend and still cut, so you can cut things closer than you would normally think possible. For those unfamiliar with the tool: it's like a tiny sawzall that's air powered with a smaller stroke, smaller blade, and goes very fast.

Brad: Still got that used 9" kevlar clutch disk?
Andyrew
So... Do you have to do this for a v8?

lol, im asking that now.. ya.. tell me about it..

I got myself a nibbler.. I can handle it! *grunt*

Clean cuts though!
Brad Roberts
Still have the disc...

B
bondo
Andyrew: I don't think so. I just want to make it as easy as possible to work on once it's in there.

Brad: How much do you want for it? I could probably get jkeyzer to pick it up for me, or maybe do it myself later this month.
Jeroen
I'm in the middle of doing exactly that
I'll post some pics tonight so we can have a little competition biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
1bad914
Mine is coming out this weekend. I'll use a combination of die grinder and air saw! sawzall-smiley.gif What is that color by the way?
bondo
I still need to go through with a grinder and flap sander to smooth things out. I believe the color is zambezi green, but I'm doing a color change. I wish I could afford a dip, but I can't. Gonna remove as much paint as I can with chemical stripper. The green is a nice color, but it's just not for me.
watsonrx13
Great job. biggrin.gif

I never thought about removing the engine shelf for a v8 implant.

It take it the shelf isn't structrual?

BTW, I'm cleaning up my engine compartment also, what a PITA to get it clean and removing all extraneous bits. But, when it's done, it's done. beerchug.gif
rey
Hey Bondo, Looking good . what shelf I don't see anything Cant wait to see more pic..
what color are you ging to paint. is it possible to modify a dog house thing so a stock water pump can be used? huh.gif
bondo
I hope it isn't structural smile.gif It doesn't appear to be, although the front engine shelf is an extension of a seam in the firewall, so it probably does lend a bit of strength to the firewall from bowing, but that isn't really a strength it needs (unless you tend to put your seat back too far) smile.gif

I'm going to paint it Hummer H2 Yellow. It's similar to the 914 color sunflower yellow, but brighter and maybe a little more towards orange.

Not sure what you mean by a doghouse. I am using the stock water pump, but I'm reloacating it to the front trunk and putting an electric drive on it. (it's an LT1, so it has a strange water pump and reverse cooling)
John2kx
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2004, 09:11 PM)
So... Do you have to do this for a v8?

lol, im asking that now.. ya.. tell me about it..

I got myself a nibbler.. I can handle it! *grunt*

Clean cuts though!

It is not necessary to remove any part of the engine shelf when running a V8. You will actually be surprised at how much room you have when going "V" as compared to flat.

There is also no gain to be had when it comes to maintenance or installation/removal of drivetrain. Anything you need to access is either above or below engine shelf.

John
John2kx
left side
John2kx
right side
Andyrew
John, Thanks.
I knew there was a ton of room side to side.. But what about in the front? I could cut that part out and give myself a little extra room for timing or other stuff.. Right?
brant
Nice....

damn.. I've got to buy a digital camera (but that would take away from my car budget you know)...

I just finished the same task.. We cut away all unnecessaries and all tin work for our -6 conversion race car. I just got it back from Paint 2 weeks ago (have 35mm pictures but no scanner) and wish I could share on this thread... It really came out nice.

your pictures look good !

brant
rey
Dog house, what I meant was to cut access hole in the firewall behind the back pad then make a door type thing. Is this a bad idea?
bondo
I've heard of doing the hole in firewall for stock pump thing. You can't use the backpad anymore, and you may not be able to get the seats all the way back. I was actually considering doing something like that for my cam driven water pump on the LT1, until I found out about the electric drive for it. It's a pretty nifty idea, and will allow remote mounting of the stock thermostat and water pump assembly. Here's a link to a picture: CSI electric drive water pump They make them for inline remote mounting, which would probably work fine for a regular SBC. With my reverse cooling, I wanted to keep the cooling system as unmolested as possible to avoid problems.

Hopefully I can fit a battery, the water pump, and the radiator in the front trunk.
John2kx
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 13 2004, 08:08 AM)
John, Thanks.
I knew there was a ton of room side to side.. But what about in the front? I could cut that part out and give myself a little extra room for timing or other stuff.. Right?

Andyrew,

I don't think cutting the front part of engine shelf buys you much either in a V8 car. There's still not enough room to be gained to time it from top side of car due to the way cabin bulkhead is angled. I actually ended up timing by ear and seat of pants vs. using the marks I installed on flywheel and harmonic balancer. Remember, the harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator and a/c compressor are all located below engine shelf. I can't imagine anything you would gain (maintenance wise) by removing it. Different animal if your going the "dog house" approach and using stock water pump.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with removing the engine shelf and think it looks pretty clean when done right..........just saying that it is not necessary.

The shelf does provide support for your wiring harness. If you cut it out, you'll need something to support harness so it does not make contact with drive belts.

John
Jeroen
Pass. side almost done. The bottom of the engine mount still needs to go and then some final minor clean-ups
The frame rails underneath the engine mount is still solid smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
Drivers side... gettin' there
Jeroen
Almost ready so seam-weld this puppy up welder.gif
bondo
Jeroen: Whoo, you went a bit farther than I did. Looks good! What engine ya got planned for it? Mine is a daily driver, and I'm already going to lose most/all of the front trunk to the cooling system, so I am keeping the rear trunk.
Jeroen
3.0 Carrera... aiming for 230 bhp and 1750#
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.