Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Consolidation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Howard
The reason I closed a number of threads in the beginning was to avoid post hopping to get the info. This is another attempt to do the same.

Sponsorship/costs/charity/venue/plaques/whatever all come as a package.

Entrants would have the option of purchasing additional 'meal' tickets, goodie bags, T-Shirts etc. for guests. No allowance is made here for that income or expense, but that part should be a break even.

Never did find out how much 2004 cost, but here are some verrrrry rough numbers for 2005:

Estimated income: 80 cars @ $150= $12,000

Track $3000 flat fee no additional charge for xtra car and/or driver
B'fast 960 $12 per person
Box Lunch 640 8 " "
Goodie Bag 1600 20
BBQ 1600 20
Hats 800 10
T-shirts 800 10
Misc 2000 Printing, postage, fudge fund for shit I forgot.

Total Expense: $11,400

Sponsorship.
If 2004 is any indication, the best we can hope for is a few trinkets from the 914 community. I did end up talking to Wayne @ Pelican and hit him to sponsor track. Otto contacted me about same, but I'll be surprised if either comes through with much. But Jeroen and Drew, you are abolutely right, one person who knows these folks shoud hit them.

Charity.
Here's where the money really comes from. Have spoken to Special Olympics and they are all over it. Local newspaper, PCA, POC, will write about us taking the kids for a top down beach cruise and ice cream feed. So then, everyone is a potential sponsor, since it's for a good cause. Some cash would come in, but a local business (like mine) may want to sponsor breakfast, for example, to get their name in the paper. I may be a newbie to 914's but have thrown a few golf tournaments and raised some $$. If everyone coming would just ask friends and business relations for a small donation, we will kick some butt.

Beck's beer and Miller Lite Racing (my son was their pilot for a while and knows all the guys) are probably in. Each one of these event sponsors would reduce our operating costs and allow more goodies. Trophies, plaques, dancing girls.

My bet? We will throw one hell of a party, give away lots of trash, pay all the expenses, and still donate more than $5k to Special Olympics.
Howard
Just an update to see if anyone's listening.

Took a couple of groups out on twisty road tours last two weekends. It's amazing how many otherwise competent people can't read maps. But the more planning that goes in, the better it works. Think I'll get the hang of it by next April, and if enough of us do it and become familiar with the routes, we can spread out in the pack and act as guides. Intermediate stops are a good idea to reform the group, and I'll try not to run out of gas again icon8.gif

Next is hotel. We are booked, and will stay at Casa the whole time, getting up at the crack to go to Willow the last day of event. Please try to make it up Saturday 9/11 to GAF in Ventura. Fun event anyway, and we are having lunch and tour @ Casa. We could also do the twisty tour after lunch or maybe Sunday.

Next item is track day. The reservation is confirmed. If you haven't been to Willow, here's a good chance to do it on the cheap. LA Shelby owners club is having their Open Streets event 9/25 and 9/26. It's $150 for both days with an extra $25 for a second driver. Not timed, so should be similar to what we're trying to do. If you don't sign up, you can still go for $10 gate admission, and ride in the passenger sessions and drive your own car during the lunch break session. 55mph limit, but still plenty of fun in the tight twisties. Last time they did not even require helmets for lunch and passenger sessions, but bring 'em to be on the safe side.

BTW, people run everything from Cobras to Explorers. Kinda funny.
VegasRacer
Good work Howard. clap56.gif
We are soooo far ahead of where we were last year.

One of the items that was a stumbling block in last years planning was the group photo. It was not easy to find a good spot. We got real lucky with the Laguna location. It is never to early to start scoping out the perfect spot for 2005. The biggest problem was finding a scenic location with enough room for all the cars to park and a place for the photographer to stand. When you stumble on a site that might work, take some test shots.
Howard
John, Maxnine11, on Pelican, is a great photog and sets up camp near the Rock Store most weekends to take action shots. Here's an example IPB Image

Check this site for more of his work. He also posted non P-Cars in their OT, so take a look there, too. I am blessed having this as my back yard.

Right down the hill from there is Paramount Ranch. There's a nice hill overlooking a meadow with enough room for all the cars and drivers. We could arrange them in the numbers 9 1 4 but bet that would take all day, if you remember Laguna biggrin.gif. I'll take a pic and post, but not real pretty now in August tan. April green is cool.

BTW, inlaws coming into town and taking them to sin city 9/28 to 10/1. Love her, but he's a PIA. A real buddy would call me at the Sahara and get me out of there for a few hours cool.gif
Howard
Here's a better site...Maxnine11

And Here
drew365
I just got back from Laguna Seca. I spoke with Joel the POC timer and announcer. His fee is $300 for the day and $20 per transponder. I know Howard is not partial to having the event timed but I think there are two good reasons to consider having Joel there. His announcing really helps keeps everyone informed of whats up and whats next and it adds a lot of ambiance to the event. He says a Monday is probably no problem but if we want him we should not take a chance and book ahead. We should kick it around at GAF.
On another note: the POC raised $118,000 for Make a Wish over the weekend. Good booze works wonders.
Howard
Drew, how did you do with the big boys?

Only thing that bothers me about timing is the 'race face'. Many folks are already scared about going on on the TRACK, so thought we should downplay any competitive feeling. Quote from MikeZ...

One of the better descriptions of why drivers should take baby steps before getting on a track full of testoterone....

I had five years of AX, 3 of DE and I STILL almost crapped my pants when I came around to the start finish line at Willow Springs the first time.....I was in the middle of the grid and the sound of 30+ cars lighting it up with mostly straight uncorked exhaust.......

I got moved on by five cars before I pulled my head out of my ass...I was able to catch them before the end and finished right where I qualified...but just barely.

Andrew, you're the track guy; your call. It's in the budget.

On raising money... it is amazing what we can do. I'd be curious where the $$ came from at the Make a Wish event.
drew365
Howard; Mike is describing a race situation. I think our event would be less competitive than a POC STS event, which is pretty friendly competition I think.
I assume most of the money was raised from the silent auction. People and businesses donated goods, everything from a plasma TV to Dodger tickets, wine, car parts, a box of adult toys. One sponser paid for all the booze and all the money we paid for drinks went to MAW. There was a 50/50 raffle where half the money raised from tickets went to the winner and half to MAW. Everyone entering the track Saturday paid a donation to get in. If I can remember any other gimmicks I'll post them but they were trying to sqeeze a buck anyway they could and did a pretty good job of it.
VegasRacer
A compromise on the timed runs question might be to do it like POC does a time-trial. The majority of the day is spent in a drivers-ed / open track format. People would be on the track in our run groups as planned. At the end of the day we could offer timed runs (for an extra donation ?). There would be only 2 or 3 cars on the track at a time. They are well spaced so each driver get 2 or 3 clean laps. There would be no chance for contact or racing. Just you against the clock. I am sure we could time it ourselves with a few stop watches.
Toast
QUOTE(Howard @ Aug 22 2004, 11:19 PM)

BTW, inlaws coming into town and taking them to sin city 9/28 to 10/1. Love her, but he's a PIA. A real buddy would call me at the Sahara and get me out of there for a few hours cool.gif

Sounds like a HINT to Vegas Racer..... beer.gif

I really like the special olympics deal. I would be more than happy to strap one of those wonderful kids in the passenger seat of my 914 and take them for a spin with the top off!! How exciting that would be for them! w00t.gif

If we could get sponser to just donate stuff, maybe we could exclude the cost for the goodie bag if the donations supplied the majoraty of the "goodies".

I think a Timed track would be fine. Maybe have part of the day without the time. That would be for thoes who don t want to participate in the timed runs or feel they dont want to "race". Then for the other part of the day, do the timed runs for thoes that want to do that.
Just a thought.

Anyone have suggestions for songs they would like to here on the CD?
drew365
Anyone have suggestions for songs they would like to here on the CD?

Queen - I'm in love with my car
Beatles - Drive my car
Hendrix - Cross Town Traffic
David Lindley - Mercury Blues
Dishwala - Counting Blue Cars

Do you sense a theme here? driving.gif
seanery
Dishwala - Counting Blue Cars

I have THE BEST live version of this song! wub.gif
I can get it to you if you like.
drew365
I have THE BEST live version of this song!  
I can get it to you if you like.

I'd love a copy, if you have a mp3 version and it will e-mail. They play live on a local radio show here once in a while, Mark and Brian KLOS. They're from Santa Barbara.
seanery
I tried the Mark & Brian show. I'm more of a Kevin & Beene, Hell I even listened to Jamie & Danny (I think Jamie is sooo hot!)
IPB Image

I'll find it and post it on my web page and send you a link.
drew365
I tried the Mark & Brian show. I'm more of a Kevin & Beene,

Funny thing is, there's talk that when Mark and Brian's contract is up in less than 2 years they'll retire and Kevin and Bean will replace them.
But to get back on topic: WCC05 beer.gif
Toast
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

Any more???

aktion035.gif driving.gif
VegasRacer
Toast - Here is an old thread about favorite car songs.
I'm sure you can find some good ideas here. tunez.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.