Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey East Coast / Midwest Guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
Ever since Brad suggested bringing a tub over to Indy to raise travelling money I have not stopped thinking about how much easier this would be than fixing my worse than expected rust. ohmy.gif

I know that here in MW and EC we are used to salvaging the rust buckets and believe me I have done my fair share of this wacko.gif .

The gang in CA have more tubs than they can deal with (see Brads Smoke Thread). There has to be a way for us to get some of these back here. I'm sure if we put our heads together we can figure out an economical way of getting these out here. idea.gif

Who's with me boldblue.gif
rick 918-S
All it takes is money. I've been told I'm spent my share this year... unsure.gif I'm selling some stuff and then maybe i'm in. I would definitely be in for some parts thrown in on a load.
beemie96
I'm looking into a tub right now, but if that doesn't happen, I'd be in for figuring something out. If everything works out for me, I'll be sure to pass along any helpful info as well!
type.gif
tdgray
Some good ideas on the other thread (see deliver Mid West).

Come on people you know you want one.

Some Ideas are....

Finding a trucking company with no back haul from CA (open trailer of course)?

Stacking (as suggested in another thread). Just like they do boats, trailers etc?

Mass rental of a car carrier?

We could even ship some larger parts out for people here?

Anybody a logistics planner or shipping guru for thier company on the board? Lend us your expertise here.

boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
i love porsche
what exactly are we trying to do??
GaroldShaffer
The same thing we do every day..... take over the world... happy11.gif

confused24.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 13 2004, 10:17 AM)
The same thing we do every day..... take over the world... happy11.gif  

confused24.gif

Ok Pinky - This is Brain speaking.

We are trying to bring

1) Tubs - rust free

2) Rollers - rust free

3) Parts - large in size or weight - rust free

Over from CA. The land of rust free. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Oh and did I say rust free wub.gif
i love porsche
where/who are we bringing them to?
tdgray
Depends on who wants them.

Should be a centrally located place from all those concerned

AND

A bonus would be if there was one of us with a barn or storage building that we could put them in until everyone could pick them up.

If we get say people from IN, OH, PA, MI, IL I'd say we have a good shot at getting these centrally located. (Not excluding any other states these just came to mind)
GaroldShaffer
Ok Pinky
Sorry couldn't help myself. rolleyes.gif

I wish I had the $$ and space. I could store 1 or 2, but that is it.
rick 918-S
I spoke with a guy that was going to have some shipped in a box car. I guess it's unbelievably cheap.
tdgray
Rick. smilie_pokal.gif

Damn fine idea !

I have some contacts down at the Timken Gambriunus rail yard.... I wonder if I can unload there <_<

Too bad we don't have our siding at work anymore... I think they tore it out back in the 80's.

Only problem is I don't have anyplace to put everything.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 13 2004, 12:59 PM)
Rick. smilie_pokal.gif

Damn fine idea !

I have some contacts down at the Timken Gambriunus rail yard.... I wonder if I can unload there dry.gif

Too bad we don't have our siding at work anymore... I think they tore it out back in the 80's.

Only problem is I don't have anyplace to put everything.

Get to know someone with a towing company and impound yard or a wrecking/ salvage yard. They usually have space and don't care about money for something like holding a few rollers for a month or two while people make arrangements to pick stuff up or have it moved via truck or maybe train car again.
mistro
But then once they are unloaded, let say in Ohio, where do these cars live permanently? Who owns them? Do we each own a tub or do we own them in common, who controls the parts, who gets the parts off and ships, etc, etc, etc...
And if they are shipped from there (Ohio) to our respective homes, some of us city folk are hardpressed to keep one 914 garaged, much less have a place for another one. That's why my 73 1.7 is going on the classified section (or to charity) instead of out to the country. Anybody knows where to keep a tub in western CT or eastern NY, I'll pay to put my 1.7 there. It's killing me to let it go but we need to make room for the one that actually is drivable.
Rgds, Michael
GWN7
Free 914 parking at my place.....160 acres (ok, 110 cleared) and the neibours don't care what I do. You ship, I store. wink.gif biggrin.gif
guywan914
Rust free tubs would be so cool, I,d be in depending on cost and logistics, of course.
Verruckt
Oh I'm SOOO in on this. ohmy.gif

Need a roller myself.
Aaron Cox
figger you guys could load up a car carrier with 8 tubs or so. all going to one destination, aught to save you a ton!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.