Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1974 914 1.8L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
gcrotvik
Asking $3,750.00

VIN: 4742909456
Engine Number: EC005731
Karmann Production Number: 4759590
Production for VIN {4742909456} began on 11/30/1973 (Friday) and was the 90th car of the day.
Color Code: L51P

Numbers matching, un-restored 1974 914 1.8 liter in (mostly) original condition. Original California delivered car (the COA confirms this). This car has minimal rust and is very structurally sound. It has the original sheet metal and doors and all gaps are factory perfect. The car does not appear to have had any type of major body damage in it's life. The right side rear trunk hinge has separated from the body and needs to be replaced (welded into place). An OE style (Restoration Design) replacement hinge is included with the sale. The rear window was removed, cleaned and reinstalled with the factory butyl seal. The car has new inner door, window, targa top, dash and engine lid seal(s). The original, complete tool kit, tow hook, spare hold-down and Bilstein jack are included with the sale. A Porsche COA is also included. The car has a clear Oregon title and is currently registered and insured.

Interior
The interior is in very good overall condition. The passengers seat has a small rip in the lower inner and outer bolster seams, and in the seat back. The dash has the normal cracks for a car it's age, but is usable/presentable in it's current condition. The carpet has been replaced with Auto Atlanta's charcoal loop carpet set. This set looks very much like the OE charcoal loop carpet that came with the car (it is a little brighter in color than the original carpet). The original (aging/non functional) Repa 914/911 seatbelts have been replaced with later Repa belts and buckles from a late model 951 (944 Turbo). All interior (and exterior) lights work as does the cigarette lighter. The fresh air/heat controls will need to be adjusted for the heat/defrost to work correctly. The defrost fan does not come on so it may need to be replaced.

Electrical
The windshield wipers do not work. A replacement wiper assembly comes with the car. Other than the defrost fan and the windshield wipers, all electrical on the car works. It has a new positive battery and ground cable, a rebuilt engine compartment relay board, a new OE backup light switch and a new Bowlsby replacement ignition harnesses (Starter, Back-up lights, Coil, Oil Pressure Sender, Aux Air Regulator) cable. The dreaded seatbelt interlock relay has been bypassed.

Targa Top
The targa top has been partially restored with new paint and seals. It does need a new headliner (the original perlon headliner has been removed). It looks very presentable in it's current condition.

Engine/Transmission
This 914 has the original 1.8 liter motor (confirmed by COA). Unfortunately, a previous owner removed the fuel injection and added a single progressive carburetor. The odometer shows 93,047 miles. The odometer does not work (but the speedometer does). The motor fires right up and runs strong. I'm sure that it could use a full service. It does drip a small amount of oil. I would expect the push rod tube seals will need to be replaced. A previous owner replaced the stock exhaust with a VW 411 exhaust. The fuel pump has been relocated to the front trunk under the fuel tank by a previous owner. The transmission shifts smoothly. It does not pop out of gear in any gear. It appears that the shift rod bushings have been replaced. The heater flaps and heat ducting was removed by a previous owner but is included with the sale.

Rust
There is very little rust in this car. The entire interior floor pan has been cleaned and sealed with a rust preventative (Rust Mort) where needed, primed and painted. The battery tray is intact but rusted through. It will need to be replaced. There is minor surface rust on the passengers side engine tray and inner quarter below the battery tray that will need to be repaired. Early in the car's life someone sprayed undercoating in this area that prevented any major rust. There is no rust in the rockers, suspension consoles or floor pan. There was surface rust in the drain area of the engine compartment on the left (drivers) side. It has been cleaned and cauterized with Rust Mort and primed. The rear engine cover release tube has partially rusted through near the upper firewall. It will need to be replaced, although it is currently functional. There is a slight amount of surface rust in the front trunk rubber seal channel at the drivers side cowl to fender area. There is no other rust in this channel. The front and rear trunks are rust free.

Metal/Rust Repair (to bring the car back to its original condition)
The original owner used this 914 as a tow car (pulled behind a motor home, used as a driver when arriving at their destination). At one time there was a towing hitch added to the front of the car. It was attached to the structural braces behind the front cross wall panel in the front trunk. It has since been removed. You will need to have the three (3) holes (2" x 3" each) patched in the front cross wall panel. The structural integrity of the cross wall panel has not been compromised by these holes. The original owner added an antenna to the right front fender top but it was not placed in the factory suggested location. The antenna has been removed and the hole will need to be welded closed. In the engine compartment you will need the replacement engine tray for use with the suspension console (part P319, $175.00) and battery tray (part P316, $58.00) from Restoration Design to complete the sheet metal repair in this area.

Paint/Body
The car wears its original Olympic Blue (L51P) paint. The entire exterior does need to be repainted. The original owner had deco side impact strips added to the car. They have since been removed but there are pop rivet holes in the L/R front fenders, rear quarter panels, and doors. These will need to be welded closed. As stated above, car is very straight but there are a few minor scrapes and dents on the exterior body panels (left front fender right behind the bumper, top of the passengers door, front and rear deck lids) but nothing out of the ordinary for a 37 year old car. The L/R targa bar (sail panel) vinyl will need to be replace due to cracking/aging. A new OE right side targa bar lower chrome/anodized trim, and clips is included with the sale of the car.

Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes
The car has EMPI 2.0 liter Fuchs copies with relatively new Kuhmo 185/65 R15 tires. The suspension is mostly stock. The car did not come with front or rear sway bars. The front strut cartridges are original but firm. The rear OE shocks and coil springs were replaced with new Bilstein Sport (yellow) shocks and Weltmeister 140 pound lowering springs (0 miles on them). The suspension is quiet and the car handles very well. There is no front end shimmy nor does the car pull left or right when driving at normal speeds. The brakes feel tight without any drag or squeal and the car stops as it should. The car has been lowered approximately 1.5 inches from standard OE US ride height.

More pictures available on request. PM your email address and I will send them off to you.
jonferns
Beautiful car!

This is a great ad, really well written, great description and good pictures.

Good luck with the sale!
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 29 2011, 03:59 PM) *

Beautiful car!

Good luck with the sale!

Thanks Jon,

It's a nice car at what I think is a good price.

Regards,

Greg
BajaXJ92
Ohhhh man I wish I had the cash for this car. wub.gif

I'm guessing this will sell quick!
Slick914
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 29 2011, 06:59 PM) *

Beautiful car!

Good luck with the sale!

I agree. I wish all sellers gave a good, honest description like this guy!

Good luck!
tod914
Very nice Greg! Love Olympic blue. I assume that's not the one your restoring?
gcrotvik
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 30 2011, 04:30 AM) *

Very nice Greg! Love Olympic blue. I assume that's not the one your restoring?

Hi Tod,

I was going to restore it but have always wanted a light ivory 74. I was able to find one in great shape so I will pass this car on to someone else who will love and care for it. As they say, it has "great bones."

Greg
Gint
This is the best classified ad I've seen on this site in a long time. Good luck with the sale. Looks pretty decent.
Ottoman
PM sent.
Stonepilot
Wish you lived closer Id buy it now
gcrotvik
SOLD! The car is going to its new home in France.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.