Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oversize bores
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
Having blown a hole through the head of my 75', so called 2.0 I have now found that the bore has been taken out to 103mm by a PO. If I can I would like to replace the cylinders with smaller bores because I have to do cylinders and therfore pistons anyway because of damage to the cooling vanes.
Question is the size of the outer diameter of the cylinder in the block is 108.3. Does anyone know whether I am likely to get cylinders with a smaller bore that would fit this block. I suspect the 96mm cylinders will be around the 105mm ID in the block?
Ideally the answer would be that the 96mm bore cylinders also have an OD of 108.3 but I won't hold my breath!

Sorry, I guess this is in the wrong Forum
Mark Henry
You have to stick with 103's or find another block.
r_towle
or, you could press in a sleeve into the case to bring it back to 96mm cylinders.

Ask Chris Foley about this...he may be able to help.

Rich
porschefile2010
Thanks. I suspectd as much. I might check out the sleeve option. The whole idea of a 103mm bore with everything else standard, doesn't feel right somehow. Where do I find Chris Foley?
Richard
Valy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 30 2011, 09:37 AM) *

or, you could press in a sleeve into the case to bring it back to 96mm cylinders.

Ask Chris Foley about this...he may be able to help.

Rich

You also need to work the heads back to the smaller cylinders.
r_towle
I know Foley made some inserts for a set of head once...to downsize them..

http://www.tangerineracing.com

Rich
porschefile2010
Thanks again. I will track that down. The heads are stuffed anyway so no problem with replacing with the smaller size. Probably look at getting Mahles. The ones Autoatlanta sell seem very chep. Has anyone had any experience with them or know the manufacturer?
r_towle
AA (when talking about pistons and cylinders) is not Auto Atlanta.

Those are chinese made units...and you might do better shopping locally...they sell type1 and type 4.

Sleeving the case is not rocket science...I just saw your location....
Find a local shop and have some made up..

Rich
Valy
You might consider keeping the 103mm. The cost of fixing the case and heads back to original will be higher than the new cylinders. See something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Porsche-Type-4-...7#ht_1374wt_864

If you're fixed on 96mm, I would get a new core engine and work on it. Should be cheaper.
porschefile2010
Thanks Rich. Not really that easy. I think there are now seven or eight 914's in thcountry. Lots of VW followers and I have a good Type 4 mechanic looking at it to, but getting parts is thrick. The piston /cylinder sets on Auto Atlanta are in their performance parts section and seemed real cheap but you are probably dead right about their origin which is a bit scary-nfortunately.
I have seent Chris an email so will see what comes back.
Thanks again for your interest.
porschefile2010
Thanks Valy. Sounds/looks like the Auto Atlanta kit and maybe from China also. Sounds crazy but I would rather pay more for well proven brands than end up dropping the engine out again because of a piston problem. Has anyone used these cheaper cylinders before. That would be good to know.
Valy
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Nov 30 2011, 10:56 AM) *

Thanks Valy. Sounds/looks like the Auto Atlanta kit and maybe from China also. Sounds crazy but I would rather pay more for well proven brands than end up dropping the engine out again because of a piston problem. Has anyone used these cheaper cylinders before. That would be good to know.

Most of us use the AA 96mm sets. I'm currently rebuilding an engine with that set. See my signature.
r_towle
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Nov 30 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Thanks Rich. Not really that easy. I think there are now seven or eight 914's in thcountry. Lots of VW followers and I have a good Type 4 mechanic looking at it to, but getting parts is thrick. The piston /cylinder sets on Auto Atlanta are in their performance parts section and seemed real cheap but you are probably dead right about their origin which is a bit scary-nfortunately.
I have seent Chris an email so will see what comes back.
Thanks again for your interest.

My point is look into the locals that sell Type1 parts.
They most likely sell the pistons and cylinder from the same manufacturer for the type 1 crowd...so that means they can order the type4 ones for you.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.