Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to identify an unmarked aftermarket cam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I have a used cam and lifters (that are marked in the order they came out) but it isn't marked on the pump end. It's built on a CWC, bolt on gear, cam blank so I know it's aftermarket.

The base circle is 1.244 and with lift 1.540, so lift at the cam is .296.
The lifters are the 2 piece w/snap ring type, still perfectly convex. Both lifters and cam show almost no wear with the oxide treatment just barely worn off. I know the lifters are not hydraulic, I've had one apart.
I'd like to ID it to sell or if it's an FI cam it would be perfect for an engine I'm building (of course I'll let the guy know what I'm doing and major discount on the cam/lifters).

I should have the tools to measure duration, but I'm not too sure how to go about it.
Mark Henry
If anyone has a WEB stock FI cam on your bench could you measure the base circle and lift at the cam for me?
Thanks
Valy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 30 2011, 09:20 AM) *

If anyone has a WEB stock FI cam on your bench could you measure the base circle and lift at the cam for me?
Thanks

Hope I got the links right. It's a Webcam #73 with 5 degree added to exhaust. The base circle is stock.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1570145

IPB Image
Valy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 30 2011, 08:41 AM) *

I have a used cam and lifters (that are marked in the order they came out) but it isn't marked on the pump end. It's built on a CWC, bolt on gear, cam blank so I know it's aftermarket.

The base circle is 1.244 and with lift 1.540, so lift at the cam is .296.
The lifters are the 2 piece w/snap ring type, still perfectly convex. Both lifters and cam show almost no wear with the oxide treatment just barely worn off. I know the lifters are not hydraulic, I've had one apart.
I'd like to ID it to sell or if it's an FI cam it would be perfect for an engine I'm building (of course I'll let the guy know what I'm doing and major discount on the cam/lifters).

I should have the tools to measure duration, but I'm not too sure how to go about it.

The lift looks close to stock. The stock lift on the cam should be I=0.297 E=0.279.
The cams are usually stamped near the oil pump driver.
bulitt
Some engine builders have a machine which will give you the profile of your cam, called Cam Pro Plus. You should call around. I know Mondellos in Tennessee has one.
www.mondello.com
naro914
I had a set of cams I sent to WebCams and they verified the profile for me. For free....

Turns out they are 911 S cams smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.