Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to replace fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
If I let my teener sit a couple of days, the fuel pump leaks until I drive it some and the leak stops. I suspect a dry oil ring that seals when it gets lubricated.

I have a 73 1.7.

I called Auto Atlanta about a rebuilt one and they said they don't have any but I could send in my mine and it they will rebuild it but it would probably take six weeks with Christmas coming up.

Does anyone know anyone else they could recommend?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays.

Terry
SLITS
Go to the Pelican Site or any favored vendor ... purchase the single in / single out as used on the '75 - '76 and eliminate the "t" in the return line.

The pressure relief on the 3 prong pump is useless anyway.
vwsamba
These pumps are so easy to work on, unscrew the cap and just get a new o ring for it.
Dave_Darling
If you remove the cap, make sure you mark it and the intermediate piece as well as the pump body! They go together at least three wrong ways and one right way.

--DD
chuckc
tt
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 30 2011, 03:32 PM) *

If I let my teener sit a couple of days, the fuel pump leaks until I drive it some and the leak stops. I suspect a dry oil ring that seals when it gets lubricated.

I have a 73 1.7.

I called Auto Atlanta about a rebuilt one and they said they don't have any but I could send in my mine and it they will rebuild it but it would probably take six weeks with Christmas coming up.

Terry

Hey Terry,
I don't want to hijack your thread but I backed mine out the other day and saw an 8 inch puddle & trail. Gas. Mine sits for 2 months at a time. Couldn't help but wonder if it maybe a similar problem. ..thoughts?
Peace
Chuck
JawjaPorsche
Hi Chuck

If I start the engine everyday, no problem. But let the car sit a couple of days or three because of rain, it will leak while running until I drive it a little bit.

I assume the gasket or ring is drying out but when it stays lubricated because daily driving it is okay.

Mine doesn't leak while sitting in the garage so we may have two different problems.

Terry

QUOTE(chuckc @ Dec 3 2011, 08:13 PM) *

tt
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 30 2011, 03:32 PM) *

I have a 73 1.7.

Terry

Hey Terry,
I don't want to hijack your thread but I backed mine out the other day and saw an 8 inch puddle & trail. Gas. Mine sits for 2 months at a time. Couldn't help but wonder if it maybe a similar problem. ..thoughts?
Peace
Chuck

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.