Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have a short shift kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I have a "Mid America" Performance Choice Short Shift Kit 911/914 65-72.
Part # 406117A (like that helps)

It has the shorter shifter with longer lower lever.
It also has the aluminum spacer to put under the stock shifter.

This would be for a stock tail shifter.

Anybody tried one of these?

Stu
VaccaRabite
IMHO, I'd stay stock or get a Rennshift shifter.

If you are having shift issues, a short shift will amplify them. If you want to change the shifting in you car for the better do this:
All bushings and cone screws replaced (get the kit from Pelican)
Drive and see if you are happy. If not, get a Rennshifter, which can shorten the throw and improve the overall shifting of the car. Drive more. If still not happy, get the parts needed to recreate the rear shift brace that some of us have on our cars.

Zach
Dr Evil
I had one of those CORRECTLY set up in one of my REBUILT boxes and it impressed people all the time in how well it shifted. I got a Rennshifter from a friend and sold it, though. On a tail shifter it can be made to work right, but see the capitalized words above, they are necessary.
stugray
This is part of my vintage-racer/restore and I found the parts in the crates from the PO.
All new bushings front to rear are also in the pack.

I never had the chance to drive it but the PO was still racing when it went into storage.

Sounds like I'll try it, but keep the old parts.
I was planning on a rennshifter, but cant afford it this season.

Stu
Eric_Shea
It's simply a throw reduction device. Nothing more, nothing less. They work well. One is going on my GT project as I didn't need fancy and I "did" need a vintage shifter look.

IPB Image

The shaft is slightly shorter too...

IPB Image

914werke
This would be for a stock tail shifter.

confused24.gif
PancakePorsche
Work great if your stock throw shifter is already working perfect. If not, it will exaggerate existing problems. I like mine.
sean_v8_914
EVERYTHING ELSE MUST BE CORRECT, fresh bushings...
they work great but reduce the mechanical advantage so a fresh box will feel stiff and notchy
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2011, 05:39 PM) *

I had one of those CORRECTLY set up in one of my REBUILT boxes and it impressed people all the time in how well it shifted. I got a Rennshifter from a friend and sold it, though. On a tail shifter it can be made to work right, but see the capitalized words above, they are necessary.

I am using one with my evil built trans and new bushings throughout and I love it. If everything is dialed in it works great. driving.gif
stugray
Eric_Shea,

That shifter looks different than mine.

Mine has the ball on the end that gets the cylindrical nylon cap.
Which model is the one in the pic? Maybe for a side shift?

Stu
Drums66
..........I drove a friend's car with 1...did'nt like it period
replaced all the bushings front to back...the tranny was kickn idea.gif
I think it is all hype! poke.gif (like they say it's the nut behind the wheel lol)
bye1.gif
Eric_Shea
It's simple; shorter throw = shorter throw. No hype needed or given. If you don't want or like a shorter throw, it's not for you.

Which model is the one in the pic?

Late model.
Katmanken
One way to see if you like it is to grab the shift rod between the shift boot and the knob and try shifting.

Because you are closer to the pivot point of the shaft, the throw is less.

The problem is people use them to speed shift. Wanna play beat the syncro's? Long shifter gives more time for the shift which gives more time for the synchros to syncronize the speed between the tranny shafts.

It's quicker shifting with a short shifter, but the carnage in the tranny is ugly.. barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

And yes, I speed shift from time to time. Was called out driving to lunch by a guy that owns a factory Porsche Turbo. sad.gif biggrin.gif

I try to take it easier now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.