Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to get Halon fire extinguisher refilled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
My Halon fire extinguisher is almost empty. Are there any good places in South Orange County to get it refilled?

thanks for the help!!
Krieger
Call your local fire extinguisher/supply co.
GeorgeRud
You might have trouble as Halon is on the EPA's hit list. I don't think they can produce any more except for military uses. There are other extinguishing substances (ie foam) that may actually work better and not leave any corrosive residue like the dry chemical ones.

Halon is great, but if the heat source is still present, the fire can reignite after the halon leaves the area. I've always used Halon extinguishers (and did save a 914-6 with a carb fire once), but I think my next purchase may be a foam extinguisher.
Drums66
.....you have to beat the bushes(research) but there are people out there! idea.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Under the Clean Air Act (CAA), the U.S. banned the production and import of virgin halons 1211, 1301, and 2402 beginning January 1, 1994 in compliance with the Montreal Protocol On Substances That Deplete The Ozone Layer. Recycled halon and inventories produced before January 1, 1994, are now the only sources of supply.
EPA's final rule published March 5, 1998 (63 FR 11084) (14 pp, 222KB), bans the formulation of any blend of two or more of these halons with one exception. An exemption is provided for halon blends formulated using recycled halon solely for the purpose of aviation fire protection, provided that blends produced under this exemption are recycled to meet the relevant purity standards for each individual halon. A fact sheet summarizing this rule is also available.

It is legal to continue to use your existing halon system. It is even legal to purchase recycled halon and halon produced before the phaseout to recharge your system.
However, due to the fact that halons deplete the ozone layer, users are encouraged to consider replacing their system and making their halon stock available for users with more critical needs.

The term "critical use" is used by HRC to identify priority uses of recycled halon. A use is considered "critical" when a need exists "to minimize damage due to fires, explosions, or other extinguishing agents, which would otherwise result in serious impairment of an essential service to society or pose an unacceptable threat to life, the environment, or national security even though all other appropriate fire protection measures have been taken."

The HRC has established two ways to make this determination. To be "registered," a buyer must sign a self-evaluation form. To be "certified," a buyer must submit an application that will be reviewed by an independent review committee. The committee certifies that the user has a legitimate need to continue using halon, taking into account technological, economic, and legal considerations.
nathansnathan
It's supposed to be that halon only lasts for 5 years, so what is left must be questionable. Halotron is the replacement for Halon, but I'm not sure if you can for certain refill a halon extinguisher with Halotron?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.