Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Alignment Pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toadman
I have a set of minilite wheels, bolts, washers and center caps that I am going to put on my 1976 914. These wheels do not have the ball seat and I do not want to machine them to accept ball seat lug bolts. Should I get two or three alignment pins and use them to ensure the best, most accurate mounting? Also, generally, when do you use alignment pins?
rhcb914
Since you have the later style rotors, you have a hubcentric ring and that what the wheel will center on.

I have a set of minilites and the early style rotors. I had to have the wheels machined to accept a ball seat.
Gint
Just buy the correct bolts. Don't mix ball seat bots/nuts with tapered seat wheels and vice versa. I buy conical (tapered) seat lug bolts from this place:

http://www.eurosportacc.com/hr_wheel_bolts_studs.htm

You can get just about any size, any seat bolt you want.
toadman
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 3 2011, 10:31 AM) *

Just buy the correct bolts. Don't mix ball seat bots/nuts with tapered seat wheels and vice versa. I buy conical (tapered) seat lug bolts from this place:

http://www.eurosportacc.com/hr_wheel_bolts_studs.htm

You can get just about any size, any seat bolt you want.

RHCB914 and Gint, thank you for your suggestions.

I see how hubcentric rings will help with centering wheels on the front but I do not have hubcentric rings on the back. Is someone now making rear rotors with hubcentering rings?

I was lucky enough to get correct, flat factory lug bolts and washers when I bought my wheels. When installed the flat lug bolt head contacts the flat washer that contacts the flat surface of the wheel. This is not a self-centering design.

The problem is that the lug bolt does not fit tightly in the rim hole and basically wallows a bit. I have heard that, because of this, a wheel and tire assembly that balances up properly on a spin balancer may, if not installed just so, behave as though it is not properly balanced when it is on the car.

The ball seat design for the factory wheels and lug bolts is self-centering and totally eliminates this problem. I am simply looking for the best way to ensure an accurate fit on my car without having to machine my beautiful minilite rims or get new hardware.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.