Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Build a Center Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I'm ready to start, in earnest, to build my center console. I've made card board templates since this is a V8 conversion car with cable shifter, brake bias adjuster, and fuse block that all need to be compensated for.

I checked out the console fabrication posted on the French 914 site where the layout and translated description leaves me with a couple of questions that perhaps someone that's built a console can share their experiences.

I found some maple plywood at HD that looks really nice and dense. It measures under 1/4" thickness, and I suspect it may actually be 5mm, which is the same thickness of material the French site specifies. What did you guys use for material?

Same French site describes what I think says to use 5mm foam on only the outside surfaces. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, it seems to me that would make the final width a bit thin looking, however I don't have a stock 914 console to compare it to. Is that how you guys did it, or did you do it with foam on both sides and wrapped over the edge?

Any other suggestions, experiences, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Andys

ellisor3
I used MDF for the outsides in the event it got wet. If you are buildingit to stock dimensions, you just have to compensate for the thickness of the MDF. I had to change the measurements from stock because I added a subwoofer in the footwell so my measurements would not help you.

Make sure you test fit after the carpet is in and leave room for the vinyl and padding if you are padding it. Here are a couple of photos of my finished console, I thought I had photos of the process, but I am sure it is in by build thread which is in my signature. (Page 13)
Good Luck.
wingnut86
I've got an older one that was made by a PO. It had soft pine which I don't consider for anything but very hidden dry places or shelves for dirty parts, etc. You don't want a picture of this one, but if you insist I'll dig it out late tonight and take an image or 2.

I would start with Birch plywood if available locally. It finishes out real nice if surfaces are left exposed and it's a pleasure to use on the proper table saw as it cuts well. You see it used a lot for finer cabinetry as it stains well for different looks and paints smooth too.

Downside = $$$
Drums66
.....Somebody on this board makes custom 1"s idea.gif
bye1.gif
andys
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 2 2011, 02:42 PM) *

I used MDF for the outsides in the event it got wet. If you are buildingit to stock dimensions, you just have to compensate for the thickness of the MDF. I had to change the measurements from stock because I added a subwoofer in the footwell so my measurements would not help you.

Make sure you test fit after the carpet is in and leave room for the vinyl and padding if you are padding it. Here are a couple of photos of my finished console, I thought I had photos of the process, but I am sure it is in by build thread which is in my signature. (Page 13)
Good Luck.

What was the thickness of the MDF that you used?

Andys
ellisor3
1/2 inch I think. Might could use 1/4 just so it does not flex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.