Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P/C Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
I know this is a stupid question, but can i replace my 1.8L (93mm) cylinders with 2.0L (94mm) cylinders.

Is there any difference between the two.

How much work would it take to make the engine accept the 2L cylinders?

thanx for any imput
skline
Sure you can, the only thing you will need to change is the crank, it has a different stroke.
mightyohm
Pistons too. biggrin.gif
jd74914
To scott

Not to sound like an a-hole I realize i'll need a new crank

to jkeyzer

I've got a good deal on a NOS set, and it comes with pistons, rings and new connecting rods

Thanks guys, i didn't know if the studs were in the same location beerchug.gif
914ghost
I want to do the same thing- here's what I was told-
2.0 Cyl's go right in your 1.8 case, same with the heads I think.. No problems.
BUT the 2.0 pistons have a different wristpin, thus you need a different rod Then you need the crankchaft, cool, you get the longer stroke so its good. --OR!
There's a 94mm piston for VW Bug aftermarket that fits the 2.0 914 (T4) cylinder.
I haven't found out exactly which pistons this would be but it's apparently the budget way to go for some extra kick.
My car just runs too good so I've left it the way it is..
Bob O
eeyore
For clarification:

'A') You have a set of 2.0 P/Cs plus 71mm crank, and you want to install them into your 1.8 ?

OR

'B') You want to put bigger pistons into the 1.8, using existing 66mm crank and rods?

If 'A' you'll also need to new rods due to increase stroke / smaller big end diameter -- the con-rod small end / wrist pins are the same. As long as you use the same 'set' of parts, its all drop in.

If 'B' then get a set of 96mm pistons from Aircooled.net for 66mm stroke and bore your cylinders (much easier!).

Don't forget to re-ignite the jihad-like discussion over use of head gaskets. ar15.gif
thomasotten
If you do option A, will get you to 2056 cc.

If you do option B, your engine size will not be 2.0 L, it will be 1911 cc.
Cap'n Krusty
Can't use bug pistons. Wrist pin diameter is waaaaaaaay different. You'd also need to work out the rod length (and the crank stroke) to accomodate the pin location of the pistons. Not the easy way .................. Best way would probably be to get a 76-79 bus crank and rods, then the 94 mm piston/cylinder set. Might want to consider the chamber volume in the equation while you're figuring this all out. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.