Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VHT Paints - do they last?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
The headers for my conversion have a touch more "patina" than I would like. I had planned on taking them up the street and getting them coated - 230.00.

Ran into a car guy buddy at the office and he told me just to use VHT on them. He has an awesome, 100% fully restored 67 Camaro that his dad bought new with litterally zero options - total base model (it may even be a 6 cylinder). He restored every single nut and bolt - it is really fantastic. He said he used VHT on several high heat parts. I am concerned that his "high heat" parts do not get as hot as my "high heat" parts.

I found several threads on guys using it on mufflers with some good results. Has anyone used it on headers?

Thanks for any insight -
Scott S
Eric_Shea
Yup. Works well. Get SP104 for the closest match to stock.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP104-FlameProof...t/dp/B000CPIMUI
MDG
Odd.

Eric's link shows 1 photo of a VHT spray bomb . . . and 6 photos of some ugly suede boots?

What's he up to now confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
I think you may know what my wife's been up to... (wow... that's weird huh?)
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 2 2011, 07:08 PM) *

I think you may know what my wife's been up to... (wow... that's weird huh?)

ohmy.gif

What did Scotty and Dave tell you?

And to get this back on track - I have used the VHT stuff and it does work well. If they are small parts (and your's or Eric's wife is not home) slow bake them in the oven as per directions. Once they cool and are cured the finish is rock solid. HOWEVER, there is a slight . . "smell" . . left over in the house after the cooking is done unsure.gif Your wife WILL find out about this even if she is 'out' for the day shopping with friends. The first thing her and her friends will say when they come home 6 hours later is, "What the F*CK is that smell??" Have exit strategy worked out in advance. A few trial runs would not be amiss.

I also used their 'Cast Iron' finish on the engine mount bar on my 2.0 - I had bought a new one from the dealership a couple of years ago and it came from the factory with almost like a light flash rust. The VHT paint is almost an exact match to factory. I did NOT bake this in the oven.
Eric_Shea
The first thing her and her friends will say when they come home 6 hours later is, "What the F*CK is that smell??

Mine is use to it. She simply says "WTF did you put in the oven this time?"
Scott S
screw thw paint. I just bough a very fresh pair or boots..............

biggrin.gif clap23.gif

Thanks for the link - placing the order right now...
beerchug.gif
NC_Colfax
I used the "Flame Proof" on my Powerstroke Diesel Hot pipes. Stuff held up great and I was running crazy high EGT's.

Not a great(show) finish but went on even
MikeM
My 2 cents...this stuff did not work at all on my 2.0 liter banana muffler.
Smelled very bad and flaked off immediately. I sandblasted and sanded the muffler in advance too...
KaptKaos
So i bought the paint and put it on the boots and put them in the oven like you guys said. Wow! The house reeks! My wife is so pissed and the boots like like hell.

What did I do wrong?
MDG
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 2 2011, 10:48 PM) *

So i bought the paint and put it on the boots and put them in the oven like you guys said. Wow! The house reeks! My wife is so pissed and the boots like like hell.

What did I do wrong?

You may not have baked them long enough and you have to do it in stages; low heat for awhile then high heat and then a long cool down.

I'm not sure of the quality of boots Eric is trying to unload. The suede kinda looks like squirrel confused24.gif

As far as your wife, I was pretty clear about the run like hell part, no?
Mike Bellis
Works great until you spill gasoline on it. Then the paint comes off like stripper sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.