Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I have attempted to extract the oul pressure switch and no luck, I broke 5 drill bits and they are not drilling thru,

This is the condition of the hole as shown in the picture. I would like to leave it alone, if I do, I may need to fill the hole to make sure there is no leak.

What can I use to fill the area?
What are the pro's and con's leaving this alone to prevent me from damaging the block?

76-914
Paul, what kind of bits are you using? Hardware store variety? Are the bits breaking because of getting in a bind after forcing them? Try this, center punch that piece then get some cobalt bits and a good variable speed drill. Drill a #30 or 1/8" hole all the way through your piece where you punched it. Follow that with 3/16". If you stayed centered then go up as large as possible. The trick is to drill thru your piece and to remove as much "meat" as you can. Then use a spiral extractor. Again, don't buy a CPOS or it will break, too! Get a helper to hold the vac while you drill to keep the chips out. Longer bits will give you a visual aid. Why a good drill. You don't need to drill at high speed. It burns up bits faster. Lubricate, low speed, constant pressure and let the bit "cut" which you will feel and sometimes hear. Google Avery Tools. They sell high quality individual cobalt bits to us shade tree mech's.
914itis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 2 2011, 10:50 PM) *

Paul, what kind of bits are you using? Hardware store variety? Are the bits breaking because of getting in a bind after forcing them? Try this, center punch that piece then get some cobalt bits and a good variable speed drill. Drill a #30 or 1/8" hole all the way through your piece where you punched it. Follow that with 3/16". If you stayed centered then go up as large as possible. The trick is to drill thru your piece and to remove as much "meat" as you can. Then use a spiral extractor. Again, don't buy a CPOS or it will break, too! Get a helper to hold the vac while you drill to keep the chips out. Longer bits will give you a visual aid. Why a good drill. You don't need to drill at high speed. It burns up bits faster. Lubricate, low speed, constant pressure and let the bit "cut" which you will feel and sometimes hear. Google Avery Tools. They sell high quality individual cobalt bits to us shade tree mech's.

I got the bits at home depot, and yes they you are right, they are getting bind after forcing them. Thanks I will try this and let you know,
underthetire
Msc industrial, get screw machine cobalt. Already a hole through the center, if you try and only go a little bigger at a time, they will grab, and longer drills= more flex and chance of breaking. Id start with a 1/4" or so split point cobalt screw machine drill.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/Naviga...productsContent
914itis
Thanks 76-914 and jeff,

I used my variable speed drill with the cobalt bit you recommended ( got it at home depot) and it got me a bit further as the middle of the plug was like a piramyd. i decided to tap it with the extractor as shown on the picture, I started with the next bigger size, extractor, it flattened it out, then I use this size until it pokes a small hole. I then Screw the extractor clockwise with a visegrip attach anf here it is, the SOB is out.

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
Now you need to stick some sort of vaccum on that hole to suck out as much of the metal bits as possible . Maybe hook up some air to one of the oil filter holes to blow out also. Don't blow into the hole , you want the bits to come out of the hole to the outside. Great that you got it out piratenanner.gif .good luck...

Jack
SLITS
To late, but drilling with heavy grease on the bit will capture the shards ... no, not Florida heavy grease biggrin.gif
76-914
thumb3d.gif
underthetire
After you think you got all the chips out,might want to pull the coil wire and crank it. Since its a pressurized passage, might help clean it out.
914itis
I don't think there is much in there I vaccumed as I was dilling. And used grease on the drill bit. But I will still use a vaccum and try to suck whatever is there out.

Now the question is , I damadged the surronding surface with the drill. Do I use any kind of filler like Jb weld to prevent leaks?
cwpeden
Get a better camera and post some pics. If its just the surface/entrance , no biggy, the taper thread is the seal.

Use Loctite 567 when you put the new sensor in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.