Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion resources
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Ok think I'm going to chuck the Boxster and start 914-6 conversion this winter. What are some of the best online resources for 6 conversion?
Dr Evil
Rich Johnson is by far the best! Also check out root works thread on cheap conversions. Rich is very easy to deal with and gracious as hell.
McMark
Check this place out.

biggrin.gif
lol2.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 13 2004, 09:23 PM)
Check this place out.

biggrin.gif
lol2.gif

Damn it, ya got me <_<

But...I agree, there should be a page on this site that -- at the very least -- lists the necessary parts and briefly describe what needs to be done i.e. 1. install 6-cylinder front engine mounts 2. Install oil tank 3. etc... Maybe make those the chapter headings...
Dr Evil
Already been done on the bird board. If you cant find it I can get the link for you.
Brad Roberts
Jesus people... answer his f_cking question or dont post...

GrantsFo..

Come over the hill and I will physically show you exactly everything required to install a 6cyl engine into a 914.

B
watsonrx13
Here's Rich Johnson's post from this board for the conversion.

Is this what you mean Brad?
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 14 2004, 07:18 AM)
Here's Rich Johnson's post from this board for the conversion.

Is this what you mean Brad?

smilie_pokal.gif
bookmarked!
Cap'n Krusty
Last one I did, I used Rich Johnson and GPR for most of the stuff. Found the tank, the rear springs, and other loose stuff on the net, bought a 2.2S engine locally from a racer looking to move up, the front suspension at a swap meet, and the front bar from Charlie Spira. Better be prepared to spend a LOT of money. It'll be more than you think. Might want to look into buying one already done. Gwen has the GTEENER up for sale, and I can tell you it's likely a bunch cheaper than doing your own. The Cap'n
thomasotten
So, what are the hidden costs? Please share.
Cap'n Krusty
Engine, front mount, new tranny mounts, modded shift rod, headers or heat exchangers, oil lines, oiltank, CDI (if the motor doesn't come with one), rewire for engine, engine tin, throttle linkage and cable, suspension upgrades (granted, this is an option, but a good one), rear springs, tach, fuel pump, chassis reinforcement kit, engine service parts prior to installation, and any labor you have to sublet. If you sub out the welding for the chassis kit, you could be looking at between a day and 2 days labor, done right and depending on the shop. If you have to have the mount done, figure 3-4 hours. You might want new front torsion bars, maybe a front anti-roll bar, a 5 bolt conversion, new wheels and tires, stuff like that. If you go with MFI, there's mods to the sheetmetal kit and fuel system. If you go with CIS, there's plumbing mods and an accumulator, as well as more electrical work. I'd plan on 6-7K and up for parts, and a TON of time. The Cap'n
J P Stein
My spread sheet for the conversion to a 2.4L got lost in a puter crash, but off the top of my head.....and at 1998 (?) prices.

Just the conversion bits (including motor...& DYI, Cap'n)$6400 all up.

All the other stuff (which has since been mostly ...ah....upgraded)
$8K give or take. Once you start, you gotta know when to stop....er...if anyone finds out how to do that (short of death), lemmeno. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I have your spreadsheet somewhere, JP. Based on $3500 for a good engine needing NO work, $6500 is probably in the ball park for 5-8 year old prices. The Cap'n
J P Stein
The engine was a good un'.... a 2.4L euro (I think....no type # or SN on the case) T with Webers.....$2400 from Aase (sp?) bros.
So, 4K for the bits -motor. The oil tank & hardware was 500 bucks back then.
thomasotten
It seems like alot of the expenses come in when you put in an injected engine. What size of engine are you figuring for $3500? That seems a little high.

Hey, and I didn't see A/C in there. Are all you people living where it don't get hot? I posted a question the other day about putting A/C on, and where is would mount (compressor). Presumably I could use my existing compressor? confused24.gif I have only seen it done once, and they had to cut into the firewall to make it fit, thus reducing seat travel for the driver. But I am 6'4. I need the leg room. Anyone got any pics, or info about how this is done?
seanery
$3500 is cheap for a big motor even a fresh small motor. It's way high for an old tired mag cased motor that needs a rebuild.

A/C may be a pipe dream. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.