Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UPDATED: Haven't even unloaded the new car from the trailer... and have a question..LOTS OF PICS ADDED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Brought back my third addition last night (1976) and have my first question.
I bought the car knowing that the clutch is not releasing. You can start the car in gear and it drives so the clutch has plenty of grip....we even drove it on the trailer.

The clutch pedal is all the way on the floor. I haven't really looked at it yet. Shouldn't the pedal cluster spring return it? Is this the way the pedal cluster should look? Looks messed up to me....

IPB Image
Jeffs9146
broken clutch cable!
billh1963
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 3 2011, 06:39 PM) *

broken clutch cable!

I was thinking the same thing....but came to that conclusion blindly! smile.gif

Is that the way pedal should look? Looks like it has been welded....
billh1963
IPB Image

IPB Image

URY914
If the cable breaks the clutch is released from the flywheel. I think the clutch is rusted and stuck to the flywheel. This happens when a car sits for awhile.
billh1963
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 3 2011, 07:02 PM) *

If the cable breaks the clutch is released from the flywheel. I think the clutch is rusted and stuck to the flywheel. This happens when a car sits for awhile.

How can I check for these two scenarios and how do I "unfreeze" the clutch?
partwerks
Had that happen a couple times in the last 4 months, unfortunately!

It's real fun if it happens when you are driving it......
ripper911
The cable is what keeps tension on the clutch pedal.
It will go down to the floor if it is broken or disconnected.
SirAndy
Where's your pedal board? idea.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2011, 10:06 PM) *

Where's your pedal board? idea.gif

MIA
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 3 2011, 04:02 PM) *

The clutch disk can bond itself to the flywheel, true.

But a broken cable means the clutch will not release.

The spring in the pedal cluster will pull the pedal to the floor when the cable is broken or not there.

The pedal pictured looks close to stock, though it's a little hard to tell from the photo if there has been any welding on it.

--DD
JMKnight
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 3 2011, 03:59 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Pretty car smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty

WHAT?

If the cable breaks, the clutch is in the engaged position, not the released position ................

The Cap'n
ripper911
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 4 2011, 11:11 AM) *

If the cable breaks, the clutch is in the engaged position, not the released position ................

The Cap'n

agree.gif When mine broke I was able to start it in gear and drive to a nearby shop.
SLITS
According to my assdragger friends, a common problem on 911s is that the roll pin that stakes the cable attachment crank to the pedal shaft breaks. Don't know if this translates to a 914.

Just a thought on the 3rd cup of coffee.
URY914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 4 2011, 09:11 AM) *

WHAT?

The Cap'n

OK, I had it backwards.
billh1963
So...found a receipt where the PO had purchased a new clutch cable in October. Looks like he installed it himself....but didn't finish it. Did not connect it:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Jeffs9146
This is about a 0 on a scale of 0-10 to figuring out if the cable is broken!

Reach under the car and grab the cable, pull it away from the firewall and if it is loose it is broken! If it is tight it is something else!

Edit: LOL Never mind!!
billh1963
Supposedly the upper end was rebuilt before PO parked the car when he went on deployment. Looks like, if nothing else, the tubes were replaced! smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

billh1963
Found the pedal board....and other things in the trunk:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Car has a/c...which I want. This is in the passenger floorboard. What is it and what is the plug for?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Engine question....

Has a carb on it. Starts very nicely. Make a "squealing" noise when idling which goes away when revved. Generator light stay on and is brighter when lights are turned on or under any electrical load. Squeal coming from alternator?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Rust issues aren't too bad....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
DRPHIL914
beer.gif Wow! another one? that makes 3, 2 in the last month!!!! nice color, clutch will be an easy fix, and you might want to take that progressive carb out barf.gif --

anyway can't wait to see it!!!!

Phil
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 4 2011, 07:29 PM) *

beer.gif Wow! another one? that makes 3, 2 in the last month!!!! nice color, clutch will be an easy fix, and you might want to take that progressive carb out barf.gif --

anyway can't wait to see it!!!!

Phil

Phil...this is it for now! I want to restore this one to stock. I'm going to need locate fuel injection for a 1976 914. I am really liking the idea of a/c!

I think I am going to use redshifts's old car as a basis for a a GT look car. With the rust issues I want to put on flares and do some modifications....I may even put in a 6 cylinder!

You'll have to come check out the new car. If you want to buy a set of the Fuchs I picked up let me know.
bdstone914
You will need a clutch pivot and two 7mm nuts to install the clutch cable. There is also a metal retainer clip that holds the clutch cable to the bracket.

I have a few sets if 2.0L FI. One or two are 75-76. Let me know if you are interested.

I also have the parts to back date the heat exchangers to the more free flowing dual pipe type.

Bruce
billh1963
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 4 2011, 08:37 PM) *

You will need a clutch pivot and two 7mm nuts to install the clutch cable. There is also a metal retainer clip that holds the clutch cable to the bracket.

I have a few sets if 2.0L FI. One or two are 75-76. Let me know if you are interested.

I also have the parts to back date the heat exchangers to the more free flowing dual pipe type.

Bruce

What is the pivot and where do the nuts go? Is the pivot the piece that is on the end of the cable?

PM me on what you need to get for the FI set-up.

Thanks,
Bill

'73-914kid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that plug in the passenger footwell was for the EGR system. At certain mileage intervals (Not sure how many) the box that was in the cubby hole in the foot-rest would turn on a light on one of the gauges stating that the EGR system needed to be serviced at your local Porsche Dealership.

Unneeded at this point given that all the FI and smog equipment is gone.
Dr Evil
You have the pivot on the end of the cable already (block with tow triangles on it that slides into the clutch arm), so likely you have the nuts attached. You need the locking washer still. Check a pic in the book, explaining it is difficult and pics are easy.
naro914
Bill
Car looks nice!
After reading through the whole thread...doesn't sound like you have a clutch problem anymore, just connect it and you should be OK. The retainer clip is helpful, keeps the cable in the slot where the guide wheel is (see pic) though mine have always had a zip tie on them... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
The cut out and plug in the passenger floorboard is for the EGR counter. It has probably been bypassed in your car, if your speedo works.

Zach
billh1963
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 5 2011, 08:54 AM) *

Bill
Car looks nice!
After reading through the whole thread...doesn't sound like you have a clutch problem anymore, just connect it and you should be OK. The retainer clip is helpful, keeps the cable in the slot where the guide wheel is (see pic) though mine have always had a zip tie on them... smile.gif

I have a feeling the PO replaced the clutch cable...and couldn't get the clutch to work. He said the car had sat for a while so I am thinking that the clutch may be frozen to the flywheel...so he just gave up when he replaced the cable and it still didn't work. I can't imagine getting that far (changing the cable and putting on the pieces) and then not finishing up! mad.gif

Guess I'll find out some night this week....when I get a chance to experiment wacko.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 5 2011, 10:22 AM) *

The cut out and plug in the passenger floorboard is for the EGR counter. It has probably been bypassed in your car, if your speedo works.

Zach

Haven't driven it yet to see...the tach works, at least!

SO does the alternator light....cheerfully glowing red smile.gif
naro914
Or he just didn't adjust it right. There's a fine line between working and not. I also find that with a new cable, after about 100 miles or so, it needs to be re-adjusted/tightened up, once it stretches out a bit.

At least you don't have to take the engine out to fix a frozen clutch like you would with a 911... smile.gif
SUNAB914
In one of your photos, below the relay panel engine compartment drivers side you have a red wire that looks cut. Check it out. Good score on that car!
Dave_Darling
As mentioned earlier, the mystery plug in the passenger's footwell is for the CAT/EGR counter. When the car had gone a certain number of miles, the little box in there (which looks to be gone now) would turn on one of two lights in the dash. You were supposed to test the EGR and test (or replace??) the CAT, then press a button on the box to reset the lights. The plug is for those lights.

The squealing is almost certainly your alternator belt. Could be a frozen alternator--the light staying on certainly means it isn't working correctly--or maybe just the belt slipping. Could be from the belt being loose, even. You'll have to check to be sure.

--DD
billh1963
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 5 2011, 08:05 PM) *

As mentioned earlier, the mystery plug in the passenger's footwell is for the CAT/EGR counter. When the car had gone a certain number of miles, the little box in there (which looks to be gone now) would turn on one of two lights in the dash. You were supposed to test the EGR and test (or replace??) the CAT, then press a button on the box to reset the lights. The plug is for those lights.

The squealing is almost certainly your alternator belt. Could be a frozen alternator--the light staying on certainly means it isn't working correctly--or maybe just the belt slipping. Could be from the belt being loose, even. You'll have to check to be sure.

--DD

I think you are right about the alternator. The light stays on the whole time the car is running. I'll check the belt first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.