Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to forum. Hi!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverbullet75
Hi all! My name is Jim.
I just bought a 74 1.8 (SE) *edit: sorry, not an SE* as a project.
I am in process of getting it titled (hasn't been titled since '04).
Once that's finished, the first order of business for the car is to fix the transmission issue.
It's not a linkage problem, because I can manually shift the side-shifter from under the car, but it just won't get out of gear.
Had to disconnect an axle to get it off the trailer.

Interesting thing though... the (interior) shifter will feel like it's going into gears and neutral, but it's not really.

Hoping someone has run into this issue before and knows what it is without me having to even pull the tranny.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Good luck with the projct! Here's a link to the member vendor section here in the forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113587

Dr. Evil or one of our other members may chime in here with some point with some simple advise but it sounds like a transaxle rebuild is in your future.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh and when you get a chance add your vin number to our vin data base. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572 assimilate.gif
jimkelly
when you push clutch in - can car be rolled?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 4 2011, 07:13 AM) *

agree.gif Just had the same thought. Sure it's the trans and not a seized engine? unsure.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

We all understand and speak jackstands. Post some picts.
markb
welcome.png

You have some good people around you in Vegas, I'm sure a jsharp.gif will get a few over to help.
silverbullet75
Here you go!
... and added my VIN too.
smile.gif

http://ppl.ug/KlcJOxLwlTE/
http://ppl.ug/hkceFEImAmA/
http://ppl.ug/kgFnBCYoWWo/
http://ppl.ug/uKMOJ8e2Ji0/
http://ppl.ug/XtPbGCDq3HA/

It's in rough shape, but very little rust. At least no "cancer" rust...
The tranny is the main concern right now. It should go into neutral manually from underneath, regardless of clutch position... but does not.
The shaft moves properly at the side-shifter, but just doesn't release to neutral internally.

This is my 4th 914, but I've never had transmission trouble on any of the previous ones... so I'm kinda in the dark at this point.

But as I stated earlier, I'm not going to pull it apart until I know I own it... fully titled.
silverbullet75
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 4 2011, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 4 2011, 07:13 AM) *

agree.gif Just had the same thought. Sure it's the trans and not a seized engine? unsure.gif

I haven't tried this yet (didn't have much time while I was picking it up from the prev. owner). We just pushed it down hill (slight grade). While it was rolling, the motor was turning over. So, don't believe it's seized. (The guy said it runs, but couldn't prove it).

But here's the thing... shouldn't the transmission manually shift to neutral regardless of clutch?
Dr Evil
Yup, something inside is not releasing. This means that the box needs to be opened to see what is up. It is possible that there is some real badness lurking inside like broken gears. It would be interesting to see smile.gif

welcome.png
rick 918-S
What is the paint code? idea.gif I'm sure if this is your 4th 914 you know where to look but just incase, drivers side between the hinges on the A pillar.
Bartlett 914
It can be the shift linkage inside the transmission. I had this happen to me once.
Richard Casto
welcome.png

As Mike said above it could be a few different things internally.

But, if you provide some more info, we could try to debug it more before you open it up. With the side shifter, when in neutral, you should be able to move the shift rod on the side shift console in/out. Are you able to do this? If not, what motion works/doesn't work?

Richard
silverbullet75
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 5 2011, 06:48 AM) *

What is the paint code? idea.gif I'm sure if this is your 4th 914 you know where to look but just incase, drivers side between the hinges on the A pillar.

Ahhh... I see why you ask.

I said the car was an "SE". From what I remember, maybe I got the term wrong, an SE just meant it has all the "cool" options like front/rear sway bars, center consoles, etc... Is there another term you use for this option package?

My apologies/mistake. bye1.gif I crossed it out on my original post.

I think you thought I was claiming it is an LE... no it is not.
L3OE is the code. Bahia Red.

Also, I hope my "4th 914" comment didn't seem cocky... not my intent.
I had those cars from 1991 to 1995. Note: I was in High School until '93.
2 of which were worse than my current one (Hawaii rust). The 3rd one was my pride 'n joy. It was a 74 1.8, with big bore 96mm, all done correctly. GT flares, 916 nose, etc, etc... I'll try to scan some pics later (pics taken before digital cameras existed... LOL).

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Dec 5 2011, 07:59 AM) *

welcome.png

As Mike said above it could be a few different things internally.

But, if you provide some more info, we could try to debug it more before you open it up. With the side shifter, when in neutral, you should be able to move the shift rod on the side shift console in/out. Are you able to do this? If not, what motion works/doesn't work?

Richard

Thanks Richard. Yes, I am able to move the shift rod in/out.
Dr Evil
If it rotates with the engine, and the rod goes fore/aft/in/out then it is stuck in gear on the inside. This needs opened up and fixed.
silverbullet75
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 5 2011, 03:00 PM) *

If it rotates with the engine, and the rod goes fore/aft/in/out then it is stuck in gear on the inside. This needs opened up and fixed.

Ok. I was afraid of that.

If I were to obtain another (working) tranny, what would my broken one be worth?
SirAndy
QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 5 2011, 03:35 PM) *
If I were to obtain another (working) tranny, what would my broken one be worth?

That entirely depends on the type and condition of the internals ...

Anywhere from $0 to $big $bucks if it is a custom build race box with a LSD and some rare gears inside.

shades.gif
silverbullet75
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2011, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 5 2011, 03:35 PM) *

That entirely depends on the type and condition of the internals ...

Anywhere from $0 to $big $bucks if it is a custom build race box with a LSD and some rare gears inside.

shades.gif

I have a feeling it'll be closer to $0.
LOL
Thanks
jabberwocky
Two summers ago my transmission would get "stuck" in 4th gear because the fork would slip off and jam between the 3rd and 4th positions. This could never be popped out using the shifter. but could be fixed by manually shifting the slider with a flat blade screwdriver after removing the side shift transmission fork.
After popping the slider back this was only a temporary fix as it happened again soon after.
To complete the final fix I purchased Dr. Evil's transmission video and an alignment tool from pelican parts. total of 40$

To fix I pulled the gear assembly out and realligned the shift forks offsets.
Ive put on about 3k miles in sense and no problems.

Hope that helps I may have pictures and there are one or two old posts on it in here use the search.

silverbullet75
QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Dec 5 2011, 04:19 PM) *

Two summers ago my transmission would get "stuck" in 4th gear because the fork would slip off and jam between the 3rd and 4th positions. This could never be popped out using the shifter. but could be fixed by manually shifting the slider with a flat blade screwdriver after removing the side shift transmission fork.
After popping the slider back this was only a temporary fix as it happened again soon after.
To complete the final fix I purchased Dr. Evil's transmission video and an alignment tool from pelican parts. total of 40$

To fix I pulled the gear assembly out and realligned the shift forks offsets.
Ive put on about 3k miles in sense and no problems.

Hope that helps I may have pictures and there are one or two old posts on it in here use the search.

GREAT info! Thank you!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 5 2011, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 5 2011, 03:00 PM) *

Ok. I was afraid of that.

When in neutral the rod should have about 1/2" or so of range of travel in/out. There should be a slight bit of free play front to rear. All the way in is the 1st/R plane, all the way out is 4th/5th and inbetween is 2nd/3rd. Pulling back toward the engine is 1st, 3rd and 5th and the other way R, 2nd and 4th. When you rotate the rod front to rear to shift it should move about 1/2 to 3/4" or so from neutral toward the gear you are selecting. It should have a solid "thunk" as it engages and also requires some pressure to disengage as well.

As as mike says above, if you can go through the motions of shifting and it is still stuck in gear, then it needs to be opened it up. As others have mentioned the #1 suspect would be that a shift fork is sliding on a shift rod (a loose bolt on the fork) and to fix that you need to open it up. And of course there might be something else going on as well as other issues that might need to be addressed.

Regarding value of your transmission as it sits today. It would have a core value of being an unknown transmission. It might be full of gravel, or it might just need the shift forks to be adjusted and tightened. If you open it up, you will need a new seal kit at a minimum. I would put the value at $125/$150 tops with it really being lower as you can't manually shift it right now.

Richard
Dr Evil
The parts inside the box may be worth something to you for putting into another core. Core value for that box to someone who doesnt know how to fix them is about $50. Yes the internals are worth something, but only to the few of us that can use them. This is likely an easy fix, with all things considered. Pull the stack and take pics, then we can help you out.
Drums66
..... welcome.png (I see the car has already welcomed you) poke.gif
bye1.gif
silverbullet75
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 6 2011, 03:15 PM) *

..... welcome.png (I see the car has already welcomed you) poke.gif
bye1.gif

LOL
Thanks!
No doubt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.