Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any quality shops in SoCal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jon Kincaid
I have dual Dellorto carbs on my 2.0 and I've had them tuned a few times by a shop by my house but I feel like it still doesn't have very great throttle response. Also, the carbs cough above 3,000 rpm and I'm getting popping out of the exhaust under deceleration. Any advice about what is going on with my carbs and any recommendations of shops in SoCal that do quality work on type 4s would be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Steve

welcome.png

Otto's in Venice is awesome with 914's and webers.
Most of my experience was with dual webers, but it should be the same. Are you sure these are jetted correctly to match your motor?
You could also reach out to Claudes Buggies to make sure they are setup correctly for your motor.
Socalandy
My long time friend and engine builder, Craig at Image Imports

230 E Dyer Rd # C, Santa Ana, CA 92707-3751
(714) 557-8300
klink
You might give Scotty a call at Steve's Machine down on Arrow Hwy. between Grand and Citrus. Been around for a long time. He rebuilt my 1.7 L up to a 2.0 L a couple of years ago. I've been happy with it and the price.
Tom_T
Any of the above, plus Der Buggy in Garden Grove does a friend's 2.0 D-jet VARA racer, or Bill Brewster down in San Clemente, or Kap'n Krusty on here at West Coast Imports up in Santa Maria, & avidfanjpl/John has another guy in Garden Grove or Westminster who does his 914-6 conversion's work (hopefully John can post in his info on here).

I think Otto's in Venice is closest to you in Glendale though.

Oh & ..... welcome.png
Jake Raby
Dave Greiner at Proformance in Orange is my SoCal choice when our engines in that area need tuning...
76-914
QUOTE(klink @ Dec 4 2011, 10:13 PM) *

You might give Scotty a call at Steve's Machine down on Arrow Hwy. between Grand and Citrus. Been around for a long time. He rebuilt my 1.7 L up to a 2.0 L a couple of years ago. I've been happy with it and the price.

Good God Almighty. That's 3 914's in this one horse town. Winchester might possibly qualify as the city w/ the most 914's per capita. beerchug.gif
monkeyboy

I have been going to him since he had his own little shop behind his house in Baldwin Park. Him and his dad have always done good work for me. I will likely be taking my car over there soon for final carb tuning.
mharmon
Callas Rennsport in Torrance does a real good job
thelogo

Hell YEH smilie_pokal.gif

I you don't go here first , then your screwed ,

otto's is good but it ain't on arrow high way .

GET IT THERE < CALL AHEAD EVEN <
SUNAB914
Jon, I just recently put duel dells on my 75 2.0 and they run great. I had expected more fine tuning, but they didn't require alot, maybe because of the duel webber experience on my 74. Who knows and cares. Anyway, first thing i did was rebuild them myself, not hard at all. I called these guys, told them what I had and ordered new jets, and everything just came out real good.
http://www.aircooledengineering.com/services.htm
Secondly, you must make sure your timing is correct or you will just chase your tail trouble shooting. next make sure linkage between the two is correct and even. very important! Next syncro them. Then you should be very close and require only a few adjustments. Popping probably means they are lean unless you have an exhaust leak. Good luck you can PM me if you need further help. Hope this helps. I have a list of the jet sizes I used at home if you need them.
Jon Kincaid
Thanks guys for all your recommendations! I'm new to 914 world but already it's been awesome!
oldschool

What's the name of the shop?
yeahmag
Let's start simple first. What jetting do you have?

vents
idle jets
main jets
air jets

I can probably help you out too... I have all the tools to do this. I'm sure I'll need help in the future and you are pretty close to Pasadena.

-Aaron

QUOTE(Jon Kincaid @ Dec 4 2011, 07:31 PM) *

I have dual Dellorto carbs on my 2.0 and I've had them tuned a few times by a shop by my house but I feel like it still doesn't have very great throttle response. Also, the carbs cough above 3,000 rpm and I'm getting popping out of the exhaust under deceleration. Any advice about what is going on with my carbs and any recommendations of shops in SoCal that do quality work on type 4s would be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

Jon

monkeyboy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 5 2011, 06:09 PM) *

Steve's Machine Shop
753 E Arrow Hwy # C, Azusa, CA 91702-5861
(626) 967-0782
oldschool
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Dec 6 2011, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 5 2011, 06:09 PM) *

Steve's Machine Shop
753 E Arrow Hwy # C, Azusa, CA 91702-5861
(626) 967-0782
thanks I called him today...funny thing he said he does Not work on FI?
vwsamba
IMHO and experience, if you are going to keep the carbs you are going to have to learn to tune them yourself as they invariably need constant attention. It will be a real pain on your time and wallet otherwise. I gave my friend an engine with dual carbs once but i had to take them off 6 months later as it was bad for both of us with him having to call me all the time for simple adjustments. There is an excellent book called "Dellorto superformance" available more in the vw world but that should get you on the right track. They sound lean but as other posts said start with basic jetting. Best of luck
monkeyboy
I didn't realize you are in Glendora... I'm in Hacienda Heights.

I just jetted my 40 Dells on a stock 2.0.

I'm sure I could help some.

I would recommend an air\fuel gauge. I bet you are lean.
Jon Kincaid
I think you guys are right in saying that it is lean. I don't know what size jets and everything I have in it right now.
DonTraver
Quick question. Nobody asked and I hate to assume. Are you running a stock camshaft or a camshaft made for carbs?
monkeyboy
I have extra jets laying around after jetting mine. I have a business trip coming up this week, and I won't be coming home until the 30th.

If you want to borrow my Dellorto book, carb sync, and extra jets, let me know.

I got all my jets from the EBay vendor in Italy. If you need to use any of them, just replace them.

PM me if you are interested.
klink
I just wanted to follow up on this a little. I suggested Scotty because he is in close proximity to Glendora which for me is always a plus. Also because he's a good guy and a straight shooter. I meant no disrespect for any of the other shops especially Otto's. Daniel at Otto's just put a 3.4L in our 2003 Boxster S and did a great job. Just a suggestion......don't ever put a 3.4L in a 2003 Boxster S. You can put a 3.2L (obviously because that's what they came with) or a 3.6L without major problems. Daniel ended up nick naming our car "Frankenstein" because of all the modifications needed. He did make it work and was real good about dealing with all of the issues. I was warned ahead of time not to do this conversion but I didn't listen. headbang.gif Now that it is done it is a great car. I am sure I could have put a 3.6L in cheaper and easier and it would have been even better. Live and learn. I wish you well with the carbs. Once you get them right you'll love 'em.
mrbubblehead
hi jon, i live in yucaipa and could give you a hand if you want......i have a snail, an lm-2 air fuel gauge and a good working knowledge for tuning carbs. do you have an o2 sensor bung welded in your exhaust? if not i could see if i have an extra. im on the disabled list and have lots of time right now. no charge, just want to help out a fellow teener. its like nails on a chalkboard to hear an aircooled engine thats out of tune. pm me if your interested....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.