Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bent Dipstick help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jandro62
I'm putting all the accessories on my new longblock this week. Ok, go to put the dipstick in and it will only go down as far as the crimp? in the tube. the tube visibly looks bent back and forth. What options do I have? I'd rather not pay freight to ship it back. Is there some way I can straighten the tube back out? I'm also considering ghetto rigging a more flexible dipstick. Not my favorite option either.

Thanks,
Alex
Brad Roberts
I cant help you... but I can bring attention to the thread. I have seen many tubes bent in the past... I just grabbed another block and went on my way. I have NO idea what the fix is for this. I'm sure you can heat the case up and yank the tube out... but how do we go about finding another one ?? Is it a simple straight tube with a flair ??

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 15 2004, 12:24 PM)
I cant help you... but I can bring attention to the thread. I have seen many tubes bent in the past... I just grabbed another block and went on my way. I have NO idea what the fix is for this. I'm sure you can heat the case up and yank the tube out... but how do we go about finding another one ?? Is it a simple straight tube with a flair ??

B

i had a similar problem.
my dipstick channel was broken off just about flush with top of my GA case. DAPO brazed it back on...only for it to come off again. so. i bought an extra dipstick...shortened it the length of the broken off piece and made new fluid level marks.

your problem....
would it be poddible to heat it and stick a long hard rod down it and slowly take the kinks out of it?

also...post a pic..may be able to help you more
Eric_Shea
I bent my dipstick once... hurt for about a week after that when I tried to get it in. I got lipstick on my dipstick too... nother story. w00t.gif

Not being a -4 guy I'm not sure of the layout but me thinks Aaron has the right idea. If you can get at the bent area with enough heat to turn it red then you should be able to reshape it with a suitable rod. smash.gif
jandro62
Thanks for the ideas guys. Especially the quick response, Brad. I ended up using the long shank on a drill bit, oiled it up, and used a rubber mallet and a board to hammer it in and some pliers to work it around and bring the tube back into round. It took some elbow grease, but it worked.
Joe Bob
Aren't they just pressed in...the tube? Pull it out, replace it.....if it breaks off at the block, cram a screw driver in and turn....aren't they like brass or something?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 15 2004, 07:27 PM)
Aren't they just pressed in...the tube? Pull it out, replace it.....

uh. replace with what? not available afaik
Joe Bob
Put a caliper on the tube...go to a hardware store.....or buy one used from Bradolio.....or the "Camp" guy.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.