Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One for the V8 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I decide to work on the car today and try to make some progress to get it on the road. I am routing the hoses up to the engine and pump and everything is going great till I decide that I dont care for the way the hose goes into the pump. Just too much of an angle for my comfort level. On the back of the pump where the hose goes in, it is a stock GM waterneck and angled down. I start looking at it and think, "why cant I run the same fitting as the engine has?" So my question is, where can I get another one of these fittings to run on the pump? Brad? You have one of these laying around? Does Renegade still use this setup or anyone else? Here is pictures for the ones who buy playboy for the articles.
skline
The stock one that was mounted on the pump
skline
Another angle of what I want to run.
Brad Roberts
Call them up and order the water neck and the nylon 90. It bolts onto the back of their early style pump housings. The pump housing I have seen recently has threads for the nylon 90.

Show me your pump.

Yep. Call RH and buy it. Should be less than 100$. This is exactly what I have done in the past. It keeps the lower water line from having a nasty bend in it.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. ONLY if you are running the same size lines too and from the radiator.

B
skline
Hard to get a good shot of it but here it is.
datapace
Good question. I don't like the angle on the 45 degree water pump neck either.

I don't know if a thermostat housing would work on the water pump, might not have enough clearance. The hose size there is 1" not 1-1/4 also but I'm sure you could get a different size NPT nylon fitting from RH

As far as thermostat housings go, Renegade now ships this sexy number:

IPB Image

Price of admission is not cheap, it costs somewhere around $100 ... but hey, it is billet aluminum. I think Scott sells the 1" nylon fittings for $5 each, you'll have to call him to see if he has the 1-1/4".

Now that I think about it, I don't think using that setup would clear the motor mount even at 90 degrees. Have you measured the narrowest part and the height of the thermostat housing?

You could try using a CSI swivel water neck at the water pump, check summit.

-datapace
skline
They are the same size ID but the outside of the suction hose is larger. I am running a hose I bought locally that is for exhaust headers on boats.
bperry
I don't know jack about V8s, radiators, or cooling, but
i've hooked up alot of aquarium filtration systems and I really try
to avoid 90 degree bends in the plumbing.
I've seen that they significantly reduce overall flow which is
bad because in aquarium plumbing the flow is already constantly being
reduced as the filters begin to silt up.
The electric pumps can only push so much pressure and the 90
degree bends add backpressure which reduces flow.
In some cases, I've had to rip out 90 degree PVC hard plumbing and
replace it with flexible hose to bump up the flow rate.
For aquarium filters, its all about keeping up the flow rate.

I would think that this might also be true for your V8 water cooling
systems. But then again, I'm no V8 or radiator guy.

--- bill
neo914-6
Scott,
Scott M told me earlier this year that his pump utilizes the bulb shape at the pump to reduce cavitation. That was the only thing different or improved to the "standard" impeller pump. They have alot of the 90 plastic elbows in stock for $5 ea.
Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.