Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Number "stamp" above engine serial
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Tearing down my LE engine to get it ready for a rebuild and saw this today.
Anyone know what the upper number sequence is for?

Q22010P

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Tom_T
022-010-P

I think it's the part no. for the entire GA engine or case, but I didn't find it listed in the 7/08 PET I have (only listed the GB motor number). Maybe someone with an earlier edition of the PET or a copy of the complete 914 Parts Catalog can look it up for you to verify.

For an LE, make sure it gets preserved in any clean-up & rebuild, since the LE's were so rare & always getting more so!
nathansnathan
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Dec 5 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Tearing down my LE engine to get it ready for a rebuild and saw this today.
Anyone know what the upper number sequence is for?

Q22010P

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

My 72 EA engine has the same thing, but "022010C" - I think that's a "0" at the front
The PET lists the part number for a complete engine as "022 100 061"

"022" is a bus part number.

Course it's not quite right, "100" and "010" but I think it is a part number.
poorsche914
The first number definitely has a little "tail". After seeing it in the picture I went back out to double check.

Never have seen this before. Will definitely retain it when rebuilding.

thanks.

driving.gif
orange914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Dec 5 2011, 04:46 PM) *

The first number definitely has a little "tail". After seeing it in the picture I went back out to double check.

thanks.

driving.gif

Jeff bowlsby, LINE 1 for Jeff bowlsby poke.gif
dlee6204
rick 918-S recently posted about the same stamp...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=156518&hl=
nathansnathan

thanks.

driving.gif

The "tail" looks like it might be a dot or period. I've seen it before on bus engines that don't have a stamped number, it means it is a replacement engine, but yours, and mine, have numbers stamped so I'm not sure.Yours is a bit different than mine. Mine's futura font, yours is Univers(?) if you want to get technical. smile.gif Here's my EA 72 1.7 49 state
Click to view attachment

and an EB was in my other car, a 71. This is a california engine, might not be original to the car as the head ports look hammered in/ modified.
Click to view attachment

I figure it is the first part of an engine number, the last 3 digits in the part number would indicate the build. I do wonder why it's 010 not 100
Click to view attachment
screenshot from http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...USA_KATALOG.pdf

nathansnathan
Your case has moss growing on it smile.gif
dlkawashima

I wonder if the tail you're seeing is actually part of the "2" next to it?

Compare your stamp to mine. Notice the 2 on mine swoops way to the left? I'm wondering if yours would do the same thing. Also on mine there is a period between the second 2 and the 0 next to it ..... not sure what that is all about.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
This is getting a little weird, guys. The engine numbers are stamped into the case by a human, and they're done by hand. Any variation in the spacing, the angle, the intensity of the impression, and any other variable is purely due to the age of the stamper, the time of day, what that person had to drink the night before, how much longer it is until lunch, break, or quitting time, and a number of other less well known factors. The painted codes are part of the internal part identification system for the production process. Or messages from alien creatures living among us. Take your pick. Same goes for the mysterious paint stamps on the sheet metal.

Move out of your parents' basements and get a life!

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 5 2011, 06:20 PM) *

This is getting a little weird, guys. The engine numbers are stamped into the case by a human, and they're done by hand. Any variation in the spacing, the angle, the intensity of the impression, and any other variable is purely due to the age of the stamper, the time of day, what that person had to drink the night before, how much longer it is until lunch, break, or quitting time, and a number of other less well known factors. The painted codes are part of the internal part identification system for the production process. Or messages from alien creatures living among us. Take your pick. Same goes for the mysterious paint stamps on the sheet metal.

Move out of your parents' basements and get a life!

The Cap'n

...or is it weird to read 9 replies to respond how weird this is???

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif
Cool914
My GA has the same number on it- 0.22010P.

On a related nerd note when am I going to get ride of this newbie designation. I have probably spent more time on here reading stuff that I did for my degree. I guess I need to start contributing more drivel type.gif
nathansnathan
Really should be in the originality forum, where the really nerdy stuff goes on

I'm a graphic designer, went to school to use type/ typefaces. The 914 uses univers - very classic, futura - very scientific, and Garamond - most classic, and readable typeface ever.
smoke.gif

The 3rd posted image, it is using the same stamp that is often on the tin, a swash version of garamond.
IPB Image
I love the way the engines look with the numbers and all. I've never seen anyone redo them and the ones they're still there are faded and rusty. I can imagine how cool it would look though new, with the colored hoses and all that. drooley.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Cool914 @ Dec 5 2011, 06:52 PM) *

My GA has the same number on it- 0.22010P.

On a related nerd note when am I going to get ride of this newbie designation. I have probably spent more time on here reading stuff that I did for my degree. I guess I need to start contributing more drivel type.gif

Don't worry about the cap'n, thats his job
"The only dumb question is the one not asked"
gotta go now, my mom just instructed me back to the basement
poorsche914
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 5 2011, 09:08 PM) *
Your case has moss growing on it smile.gif

The engine is one of the nastiest I have ever seen. barf.gif

Got out the DSLR for a close up. Looks like a tail but probably just extra ink since an "0" makes more sense here.

Click to view attachment

dlee... I remembered that thread but wasn't sure how to search for it.

cool914... you can edit "newbie" by going into "My Controls" and then on the left "Edit Profile Information"
Change "Custom Member Title" to your message.

nathansnathan... interesting info. beerchug.gif

driving.gif
Cool914
Thanks guys. Now I can spend a few hours editing my profile while trying to keep it as original as possible...
mtn flyr
I think when you get 50 posts you become a member type.gif
Krieger
Maybe, just maybe Herman the German screwed up that day. He probably got fired. If we research the build date for the engine and cross reference human resources records for employees let go that day maybe we can figure out who is to blame for this post.
sww914
The tail on the 0 is a bubble in the ink. Look at all of the other bubbles along the numbers and the one between the two 2's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.