Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Auto Restorer Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I already get Panorama (skim it), Excellence (read most of it and like it), Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car (probably my favorite), and Road & Track (mainly because I love Peter Egan's column).

I am typically months behind reading most of them, so I have to ask myself if I really want to get into another magazine. Not sure if I would get much out of this magazine that I can't get here. In fact, this site is why I hardly have time for the printed stuff - magazines by nature appeal to a relatively broad audience, but the World pinpoints my main interest.

Anyway, thoughts on Auto Restorer?
nomore9one4
I got it a few years back..save your money..You probably will not learn anything you dont already know.Just my opinion..
Tom_T
To the contrary, I've found something useful in every issue, although their bent is toward American Classics, much of the techniques & info. are applicable to our 914s
& P-cars/Imports. Maybe I'm just not as well versed as others on here! huh.gif

So IMHO it's worth every penny. Sometimes they run a discounted price special.

Also Ken it's a smaller publication that you can get through faster, as I have the same over publication problem as you! biggrin.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 5 2011, 09:58 PM) *

To the contrary, I've found something useful in every issue, although their bent is toward American Classics, much of the techniques & info. are applicable to our 914s
& P-cars/Imports. Maybe I'm just not as well versed as others on here! huh.gif

So IMHO it's worth every penny. Sometimes they run a discounted price special.

Also Ken it's a smaller publication that you can get through faster, as I have the same over publication problem as you! biggrin.gif

Thanks, Tom. The price is negligible - $20 for the first year. I would honestly pay far more than that for a publication that has me riveted, such as this site. However, I hate to drop coin for a rag that I get nothing out of. It is not really about the money, because $20 over a year is nothing. It is more psychological with me. If something arrives in my mailbox every month, and I know that I am paying for it, I feel like I need to get some really tangible gains from it. At this point, I think that I really need to learn more about the process - how to keep things organized more effectively, how to restore parts most cost-effectively, etc. Maybe this might be worth a year or two.
billh1963
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2011, 10:36 PM) *

I already get Panorama (skim it), Excellence (read most of it and like it), Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car (probably my favorite), and Road & Track (mainly because I love Peter Egan's column).

I am typically months behind reading most of them, so I have to ask myself if I really want to get into another magazine. Not sure if I would get much out of this magazine that I can't get here. In fact, this site is why I hardly have time for the printed stuff - magazines by nature appeal to a relatively broad audience, but the World pinpoints my main interest.

Anyway, thoughts on Auto Restorer?

Are you sure you aren't going through my mailbox? lol-2.gif

You have EXACTLY the same reading style with thise mags as I do.

I have been subscribing to R&T since I was 16 (1979) and used to really love it. It's changed quite a bit since those days. Now, the first thing I read is Egan's column and if I get bored I will look through the rest of the magazine. The Hemmings mag is really quite good.

I also like a few of the British 911 and classic car magazines...they are just so darned expensive that I only buy them as a treat! biggrin.gif
TurbOH Brad
I read every damn magazine I can get my hands on. I devour them to try to learn something new that I didn't know before.

I am a nutjob for Porsche, and reading other people's writing helps me develop my own writing talents.

I sometimes go back and re-read stuff I wrote a year ago or so, and I can tell that my journalistic talent is improving... biggrin.gif
injunmort
i subscribed to it a few years back. it sometimes had some interesting tips in it but for the most part did not find it very helpful. i have found surfing the net yields more help and it is free. fwiw.
zymurgist
Don't know about this magazine, but just wanted to say I'm another Egan fan. beerchug.gif
nomore9one4
I should also add that it was only a every other month subscription. Atleast it was when I subscribed to it.
worn
I subscribed to it for a few years. It fills a very large void in showing how to fix stuff. The problem is that the editors rarely check the articles much. I am a scientist and the errors in physics and chemistry bothered me, especially when they would have an impact on how stuff comes out. They have a guy named Lary Lyles who always does a body shop article and he does good work - a bit of a shill for Eastwood though.

They do focus on american iron. The thing is if you want to see people actually working on cars the hot rod mags have the most stuff. Porsche magazines always drift off to describing the intoxicating sound of some engine burbling away and are about having someone else do the work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.