Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
does anyone know where i can get the D shaped alternator boot? the tube that supplies cool air to the alternator. i need to replace my alternator and chances are mine will be jacked.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 5 2011, 07:38 PM) *

does anyone know where i can get the D shaped alternator boot? the tube that supplies cool air to the alternator. i need to replace my alternator and chances are mine will be jacked.

never mind.....i found one
bigkensteele
It will probably be fine, given that it is most likely covered in oil/sludge, and it probably hasn't seen sunlight in 40 years. Mine was still pretty soft.

If you need to remove it, don't forget the c-clip on the inside of the fan housing (ask me how I know). You don't need to split the housing to remove or install it, but you will need to pull the fan to get to it with some long pliers. I had my engine all the way back together and had that clip left over. Could not think of where it went, but the board rescued me!
mrbubblehead
oh really.... i thought it fit in like a grommet. sounds like a PIA. i ordered one just in case. i guess i'll find out as soon as i get the alternator out.
SLITS
No need to remove the boot from the fan housing .... you can disconnect it from the alternator.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 6 2011, 09:14 AM) *

No need to remove the boot from the fan housing .... you can disconnect it from the alternator.

agree.gif I should have mentioned that. If you are just replacing your alternator, just loosen the clamp and the alternator will slide out. I was pulling everything apart and cleaning, so maybe a different situation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.