Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KB pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black22
I read a lot about the KB Hypereutectic pistons but, I've not really heard about the Silv-o-lites. From what I researched these are hypereutectic pistons as well but, I can't seem to find the part number on the box anywhere online.

Anyone know if these definitely work as the 96mm "Big Bore" kit for a 1.8L? That's what the seller claimed and I got a screamin' deal for these.

Seriously, I paid less than a hundred bucks for this set!

Anyone?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
That wrist pin is low. I just installed a set of Silvo-lites today, but they didn't look like that.

Try calling KB.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2011, 11:57 PM) *

That wrist pin is low. I just installed a set of Silvo-lites today, but they didn't look like that.

Try calling KB.

agree.gif easy quick check is to get a stock 1.8 piston and stick one pin in both pistons and you'll see the height differences.
If they end up being for a 2.0 and not a 1.8then..
I would be very interested in taking them off your hands???

Good Luck
Black22
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2011, 08:57 PM) *

Try calling KB.

Mark, would you be able to give me a measurement from the top of the pin to the top of the piston?

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Dec 6 2011, 04:16 AM) *

If they end up being for a 2.0 and not a 1.8then..
I would be very interested in taking them off your hands???

Good Luck

I will call you immediately if that is the case.

Well looks like I will need to break out the mic. I don't have a stock 1.8L piston to measure. The engine is still running and in the car. I'm just stockpiling parts for the rebuild. The add said they were Porsche 914 1.7/1.8 and Bus engine big bore 96mm pistons. Now I'm worried about the pin height! I guess a call to KB is in order. Thanks guys.
Mark Henry
Unfortunately I don't have a 1.8 piston kicking around but from the top of the pin to the top of the piston

2.0, .933"
1.7, 1.184"

This is top of the pin not center of the pin, as I'm too lazy to figure out center.

I Know from the pic it's not a 2.0, a 1.7 piston should be in the ballpark of a 1.8 pin height.
Mark Henry
Found one

1.8, 1.178" again from the top of the pin to the top of the piston.
McMark
I can't measure the ones I used since they're on the engine now. laugh.gif
Black22
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 6 2011, 10:09 AM) *

Found one

Thank you. I'll have to check the height tomorrow as I'm at work now and the pistons are in storage. Thanks again for the important info!
reharvey
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 6 2011, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 6 2011, 10:09 AM) *

Found one

Thank you. I'll have to check the height tomorrow as I'm at work now and the pistons are in storage. Thanks again for the important info!

Those look like NOS pistons from a decade ago ( or longer ) . If you lay a 1.7 piston next to it I'm sure you'll find that it's a perfect match for the wrist pin location. Hastings has the rings for those and cylinders are available.
Black22

Those look like NOS pistons from a decade ago ( or longer ) . If you lay a 1.7 piston next to it I'm sure you'll find that it's a perfect match for the wrist pin location. Hastings has the rings for those and cylinders are available.

Yeah, that's what the seller said. He had them in storage for over 10yrs., but they are supposed to be 96mm. I hope they're correct for my 1911 build.
Black22
Well after a few emails to KB and a call to European Motor Works here in the LA area, the mystery is solved!

KB said that they have only done Type 4 pistons for EMW. They told me to look for 1 of 2 numbers stamped on the skirt. Well there were NO #'s stamped and they did not recognize the p/n so they advised me to give EMW a call.

I talked to two people at EMW. Once we realized that the 99 number in the casting was the year they were produced, they had to go to an old catalog. They have since changed the p/n on the newer pistons. Well in the old catalog, there was my p/n! These are indeed 96mm pistons for a 1.8L with stock pin size! piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif

I have to tell you I was sweating it out after McMark mentioned something about the pin location. w00t.gif He is the one who recommend I call KB directly though. Thanks McMark!

I'm glad I can use these and I grateful for the replies I received to point me I the right direction. You guys rock!
Mark Henry
They still look high to me, did you actually measure them?

(sorry, I don't trust numbers on a box)
Black22
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 8 2011, 01:21 PM) *

They still look high to me, did you actually measure them?

(sorry, I don't trust numbers on a box)

Sorry Mr. Henry, I thought this thread was dead so I did not see your post. I did measure them.

Although I did not have mic handy, I used a tape measure and the distance from top of pin location to top of piston is a hair over 1-1/8" which translates to roughly 28.6mm. That's a little shy of your 29.9mm, but i figure it's for one or two reasons (or a combo of the reasons). One is that I used a tape measure. Not the most accurate. Also there are no valve reliefs on the top of the piston so KB added some clearance. Or both reasons? At any rate they'll work for my application.

Thank you for your help.
Mark Henry
Sounds close for a 1.7/1.8, good score.

Mr. Henry is my dad.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.