Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early (70 & 71) 914-4 steering wheel adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hmmm... With my new 1971 4 cyl purchase, I'm learning more about the early cars everyday. I had no idea the steering shaft was different on these cars. And I can't seem to find any adapters (PP or eBay) to fit a Momo steering wheel to a 1971 4 cyl car.

Is this right? Any ideas?

-Steve

McMark
If you run out of options, a machine shop could cut the center out of a stock steering wheel and drill it to mate to a Momo.

I wonder if the early splines are the same a some VW model... idea.gif
McMark
The PET doesn't have any info, but based on the drawings, it appears that the early steering shaft has the U-joint as part of the assembly, whereas the later style has a separate U-joint. It also might be possible to install a late shaft into an early housing without too much work. idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 6 2011, 11:16 AM) *
It also might be possible to install a late shaft into an early housing without too much work. idea.gif

Nope. Tried that. I ended up using a complete assembly from a '74 in my '70 and it was a *major* pain in the butt, including some creative grinding on several parts.

There is no easy way to interchange any of the parts, i'm afraid.

The early style Momo adapters do show up every once in a while, but they're rather rare these days.

sad.gif
Valy
Here is a picture of what you need.
Click to view attachment
siverson
Great, thanks for the tips. Upon more research (and comments above), it seems like the early/late 914 splines are the same, it's just there is a gap on the early cars if you use the late adapter.

I think I'll get a late adapter and tinker with it...

-Steve
Valy
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 6 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Great, thanks for the tips. Upon more research (and comments above), it seems like the early/late 914 splines are the same, it's just there is a gap on the early cars if you use the late adapter.

I think I'll get a late adapter and tinker with it...

-Steve

Yes the splines are exactly the same. I had the early adapter mounted on my 74.
The only difference should be the height of the adapter.
GeorgeRud
Would another choice be to get a hub for a Nardi/Personal wheel and then an adapter to convert to the Momo wheel?

I seem to remember that I had to make some sort of spacer when I put a Momo wheel on my 914, but I don't rememberthe details (sucks to get older, but beats the alternative).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.