Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Finally bought a trailer my 914 won't scrape loading
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I just bought a 20x8 foot enclosed trailer. I have been through probably 5 different trailers. All of which my 914-8 wanted to bottom out & scrape loading. I was finally going to just give & buy a tilt trailer. I came across this on Craigslist today & went to look at it. Guy had it listed for $2250 blink.gif . It is solid & has brakes on one axle. It needs a little TLC but not much at all. I asked if he had a title & he pulled it out. It was his uncles who passed away. I was immediately wary. He then pulls out all the paperwork the DMV will need for it. They have already sold 2 of his trailers & 2 cars. Haven't had a problem with the DMV yet. I'm ready to pay the guy as the trailer is easily worth the price & then some. I figured I may as well ask if he if firm on his price. He said well how about $2100 & before I could say okay. He says screw it $2000 & it's yours piratenanner.gif . I jumped then & happily happy11.gif Had to borrow some cash to do it but to good a deal to pass up. Good thing I didn't buy that LS1 now.

Extra bonus is now I have an extra garage for winter aktion035.gif
mepstein
Nice purchase!
Tom_T
Not only an extra garage on wheels, but a mini-shop up front too! biggrin.gif
Nice score! smilie_pokal.gif
wingnut86
beer3.gif

Very nice...
JRust
It has an electric winch up front but it's mounted up top. I think it is a pretty small one anyway. Yeah the bench up front is cool. Guy was using it as his wood shop confused24.gif . He had a lathe & other tools in there for woodworking. They had cleared it all out before I came by though. I am pretty stoked. I'm going to buy some fold down bunks for it. I'll also put some more cabinet's up front with a microwave. Not sure if I would bother adding a sink & water or not idea.gif .
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 6 2011, 04:23 PM) *

It has an electric winch up front but it's mounted up top. I think it is a pretty small one anyway. Yeah the bench up front is cool. Guy was using it as his wood shop confused24.gif . He had a lathe & other tools in there for woodworking. They had cleared it all out before I came by though. I am pretty stoked. I'm going to buy some fold down bunks for it. I'll also put some more cabinet's up front with a microwave. Not sure if I would bother adding a sink & water or not idea.gif .

Jamie, great find! Oh, by the way wasn't that about 10 hours ago you said something about being "sensible" and not impulsive when it comes to 914 related stuff. biggrin.gif
Mark
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 6 2011, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 6 2011, 04:23 PM) *

Jamie, great find! Oh, by the way wasn't that about 10 hours ago you said something about being "sensible" and not impulsive when it comes to 914 related stuff. biggrin.gif
Mark

Jamie being "sensible" and not impulsive when it comes to 914 related stuff. av-943.gif lol-2.gif blink.gif
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 6 2011, 07:15 PM) *

Mark

Hey this was a very sensible buy. Did I jump on it yes. Only because it was a great deal. I have been keeping my eye open for an enclosed trailer for at least 3 years. I have actually been very patient dry.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

It wouldn't be sensible for me to go pick up that LS1 in the trailer confused24.gif
Valy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTI9MsE-9g
JRust
Hey anybody know what registration is for these in Oregon. Going in tomorrow to title it. Hoping I don't get a huge shock at the DMV confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice box. cheer.gif
VegasRacer
Nice score for 2 grand. aktion035.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 6 2011, 11:45 PM) *

Hey anybody know what registration is for these in Oregon. Going in tomorrow to title it. Hoping I don't get a huge shock at the DMV confused24.gif

Try your DMV website or call them.
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 6 2011, 11:45 PM) *

Try your DMV website or call them.
Tom
Jamie,
Looks like a great deal! Guy I know just purchased a 12' X 8' light weight enclosed trailer for his bikes, almost 6K. 2K was a steal!
Tom
aharder
Sweet........
Krieger
Extra mobile garage piratenanner.gif
JRust
Went straight to a trailer place down the road. Dropped it off to get the plug rewired & the bearings packed. Also just a general checkout to see if everything like the brakes are working properly. Just got back from the DMV & paying $177 for title/tags. Not to bad really smile.gif . The trailer is old though. Title says 1972 on it which is a little surprising confused24.gif . Does it look that old?
r_towle
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 7 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Went straight to a trailer place down the road. Dropped it off to get the plug rewired & the bearings packed. Also just a general checkout to see if everything like the brakes are working properly. Just got back from the DMV & paying $177 for title/tags. Not to bad really smile.gif . The trailer is old though. Title says 1972 on it which is a little surprising confused24.gif . Does it look that old?

no,
Do the VIN tags match the title?

rIch
JRust
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2011, 12:18 PM) *

no,
Do the VIN tags match the title?

rIch

I'm going to look into it some more when I get it back from the shop. Hopefully tonight but we will see. It may be tomorrow as they were fitting me in today. Are the Vin tags typically on the tongue somewhere? Everything went smooth but now I am a little worried I have the wrong one. Which will be a PITA since I just put it in my name at the DMV. I'll update later when I can verify it.
JRust
I couldn't find a vin tag anywhere. The trailer guys did say it was an older style. While they couldn't confirm it was a 1972. They thought it was probably right. I'll look some more this weekend. If I can't find a vin anywhere I am not going to worry about it.

What do you think if I can't find it anywhere if I engrave the numbers in an oddball place under the trailer. Just as a precaution if it was stolen in the future?
Lennies914
the vin should be stamped into the front A-frame section.

Good score beerchug.gif
messix
It's probably an old travel trailer chasis rebuilt to what you have now.

I'd check out all the metal for......... rust!

I wouldn't haul anything heaver than a 914 in it.
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 7 2011, 07:03 PM) *

What do you think if I can't find it anywhere if I engrave the numbers in an oddball place under the trailer. Just as a precaution if it was stolen in the future?

Jamie, maybe it's an LE av-943.gif Check for some orange under that black paint.

No worries, it was probably a makeover.
championgt1
lol-2.gif

Nice find!
JRust
Damn I tell you what. It has been so damn cold the last week. No way I am going ot work out in my barn. Even with a nice 3 burner propane heater I freeze unless it is on my back. It also will not heat up my barn. It is just to big & open. So I am oging to use my new trailer/shop biggrin.gif .

I'm going to pull my LE into my trailer. I'll be able to heat that area so much better. I'll be much more apt to go out to work in something I don't have to bundle up in. Already my trailer is coming in handy. Plus I have some paint touch up I've got to do. Be much better in the trailer than in my barn. Actually I have to repaint both my trunks. Damn rust bubbles headbang.gif . Oh well at least it is the trunks & I can make those look good. Nothing like having newer paint with rust issues dry.gif . I'll make it work though. Damn close to having the Creamsicle finished finally. I can't wait to say goodbye to that beautiful 914 (that has been my curse of a restoration the last 3 years evilgrin.gif )
KELTY360
Nice score Jamie. That thing is screaming for some cool graphics on the side. Maybe some kind of Grasshopper scheme. grasshopper914.jpg shades.gif
TC 914-8
Great score Jamie !!!
JRust
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 8 2011, 11:23 PM) *

Nice score Jamie. That thing is screaming for some cool graphics on the side. Maybe some kind of Grasshopper scheme. grasshopper914.jpg shades.gif

Yeah I would like to put something cool on there. A nice graphic of a 914 plus my 914rustorations & website. Those could be small though. Who out there does the wraps or graphics & needs some parts to take in trade idea.gif
PanelBilly
Nice find
NORD

Nice find first.gif

Nobody has asked yet; Can I Use it to move a car? lol-2.gif
JRust
I'd be happy to help any of my buddies move a car smile.gif . Just so long as it doesn't end up as part of my herd happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.