Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Heat lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Exactly what does it do and how does it do it? In other words, when you move the lever, what does the lever, in turn, move? type.gif

Thanks for your help

Sean
srb7f
As you lift it up, it pulls cables which open the flapper valves between the heat exchangers and the passenger cabin to let air funneled around the exhaust pipes warm up and in turn keep you warm inside the car. The further you pull the red lever means the valves open up more. At about the halfway point, an additional electric fan in the engine compartment is kicked on to boost the volume of air already being sent through the pipes by the impeller fan attached to the crankshaft.
mrholland2
QUOTE(srb7f @ Dec 6 2011, 06:13 PM) *

As you lift it up, it pulls cables which open the flapper valves between the heat exchangers and the passenger cabin to let air funneled around the exhaust pipes warm up and in turn keep you warm inside the car. The further you pull the red lever means the valves open up more. At about the halfway point, an additional electric fan in the engine compartment is kicked on to boost the volume of air already being sent through the pipes by the impeller fan attached to the crankshaft.

Are those flappers part of the body of the car? Or are they built into the heat exchangers?
dlee6204
The heat lever does two things...

1-When you pull it up all the way, it turns on the electric fan in the engine compartment which aids in pushing warm air to the cabin.

2- It is also attached to a cable that when pulled, opens heater valves underneath the car which allows warm air to enter the longitudinals and into the cabin.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 6 2011, 06:16 PM) *
Are those flappers part of the body of the car? Or are they built into the heat exchangers?

Neither. They clamp onto the heat exchangers and are connected to your longs with a hose.

shades.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 6 2011, 07:02 PM) *

Neither. They clamp onto the heat exchangers and are connected to your longs with a hose.

shades.gif

So, if there are no hoses at all, there are no flappers and the red lever is connected to nothing?

Also, I have no parking brake at all. (I'm trying to figure out how to do many things at once when I have a few days to work).
Thanks
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 6 2011, 09:07 PM) *

shades.gif

So, if there are no hoses at all, there are no flappers and the red lever is connected to nothing?

Also, I have no parking brake at all. (I'm trying to figure out how to do many things at once when I have a few days to work).
Thanks

Yep, sounds like your missing some parts.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 6 2011, 07:07 PM) *

shades.gif

Thanks

Flapper boxes are visible under the car at the L & R engine compartment near the fwd. firewall - the aux. heat fan is topside in the L engine compartment below the relay board, & - yes - you'll need the cables, power/wires & hoses/tubes all hooked up for heat to work.

Ditto for the E-brake! biggrin.gif
mrholland2
Flapper boxes are visible under the car at the L & R engine compartment near the fwd. firewall - the aux. heat fan is topside in the L engine compartment below the relay board, & - yes - you'll need the cables, power/wires & hoses/tubes all hooked up for heat to work.

I need to see a fully functional ebrake system. I can't even figure out where the stupid handle would mount. The heat I think I have a modification for, but I won't worry about it until next winter, I'll just shiver for now. . when I drive it, generally 12 miles highway each way.

Is the love for 914's totally irrational or what? LOL
jcambo7
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 7 2011, 01:24 AM) *

I need to see a fully functional ebrake system. I can't even figure out where the stupid handle would mount. The heat I think I have a modification for, but I won't worry about it until next winter, I'll just shiver for now. . when I drive it, generally 12 miles highway each way.

Is the love for 914's totally irrational or what? LOL

the e brake is on the left side of the driver seat bolted to the long.
partwerks
As I recall that electric fan sucks in cold air on the back side of it and enters it into the system. Don't seem like it would be helping the situation out any?

Wonder if it would be too crazy of an idea to have some sort of hose on the back side of the fan that would be somehow be hooked into the heat exchangers and would at least circulate the warm air back in as opposed to outside cold air??
dlee6204
As I recall that electric fan sucks in cold air on the back side of it and enters it into the system. Don't seem like it would be helping the situation out any?

Wonder if it would be too crazy of an idea to have some sort of hose on the back side of the fan that would be somehow be hooked into the heat exchangers and would at least circulate the warm air back in as opposed to outside cold air??

For the heat... your main fan, the engine fan, is what supplies most of the air to the cabin. The Electric fan only helps a little when engine speeds are low. Both fans however suck up cool air and warms it via the exchangers. Simply looping the electric fan will have very little effect on the warm air going into the cabin since the majority of the air comes from the engine fan.
SirAndy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 7 2011, 01:04 AM) *

Wrong fan! shades.gif

There's two electrical fans in a 914.

- One is in the engine compartment and pushes air through the heat exchangers. It is switched on by the red heater lever on the floor.

- The other one is the front mounted fresh air fan which, true to its name, only pushes *fresh* air from the outside into the cabin.

popcorn[1].gif
type47
Look at PET illustration 202-15 for exhaust and heater parts. (If you don't have a copy of the PET, see the link in my signature).
bulitt
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 8 2011, 10:17 AM) *

Look at PET illustration 202-15 for exhaust and heater parts. (If you don't have a copy of the PET, see the link in my signature).

Wow, awesome parts catalog!
jtg
Ok, this is sorta off topic but you guys might get a laugh out of this. In my electric 914 there is no wasted engine heat so I mounted two blow dryers (donated by my wife) either side of the front air mixing box. Instant hot air whenever we need it! No waiting for the engine to heat up. The red heater knob was not being used so I hooked it up to my main circuit breaker (1000 amps!) that's in the engine compartment. It's used only in emergencies to cut all power to the motor. Using the heater lever kept all high voltage wires out of the passenger compartment. Sort of a James Bond ejector switch. The now unused head duct tunnels on either side of the car I used as a conduit for the high voltage wiring that went front to back. Too much fun....

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.