Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine rebuild. . . Found a Rats Nest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
First off. . the previous owner let this car sit for 15 years, last 6 months was outside. . . I found a lot of rubber and plastic body parts chewed through. . things like the brake fluid reservoir, the steering boots, engine relay board cover. . .

When I pulled the engine apart, I was puzzled when I found all this fabric on top the engine under the shroud. . . first thought was the PO started the engine and it sucked in some rags. . then I saw all the rat turds and looked closer at the fabric. .
It was from one of those breathable car covers. . those little critters had built a regular rat hotel on top the engine.

Asked the PO about his car cover and had it been mysteriously missing small pieces. . . he said he couldn't figure out what was tearing it up and eating it.. fortunately it didn't get driven like this. .
Krieger
w00t.gif Good thing your checking it out.
scrz914
At least the rats were kind enough to plug up the intake ports too. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Dec 7 2011, 11:35 AM) *

At least the rats were kind enough to plug up the intake ports too. biggrin.gif

The San Diego rats are very smart! ....after all, they were smart enough to move to a warm climate & great beaches! biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 7 2011, 12:32 PM) *

The San Diego rats are very smart! ....after all, they were smart enough to move to a warm climate & great beaches! biggrin.gif

Did they update the chain tensioners while they were at it?
Series9
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Dec 7 2011, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 7 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Did they update the chain tensioners while they where at it?

laugh.gif
pete000
I wonder how many rats were born in that 2.0 ???
carr914
A True Rat-Rod! biggrin.gif
toolguy
I'm glad someone else got a chuckle out of this. . . I was amazed that the little ass---es crawled thru the fan to find this spot. . . so the next thought. . . how about if this was an operational car, you go out in the morning and start it and Presto ! . . . Roasted Rat . It's just gotta to have happened to someone. .
brp986s
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 8 2011, 07:37 AM) *

I'm glad someone else got a chuckle out of this. . . I was amazed that the little ass---es crawled thru the fan to find this spot. . . so the next thought. . . how about if this was an operational car, you go out in the morning and start it and Presto ! . . . Roasted Rat . It's just gotta to have happened to someone. .

It happened to me a couple months ago. I started it, got 50 ft down the road and heard grzzzount and bzang like something ricocheted off the fan. I thought maybe a bolt or socket got sucked in. The little guy attempted to bid a hasty ado and was not successful. Not pretty. Nor odorless. icon8.gif And for your viewing pleasure I did snap a pic. But I think I won't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.