Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Ok, I've been doing some research into fiberglass parts, since I'm not gonna pay over 2k for steel flares for the race car.

Who's stuff is the best?
Who's stuff is the best value?

Who sucks?

I've been looking around, I see a lot of folks selling AIR and GT-Racing products (but not telling you that).

The car is a track only car, but I still want it to look like a real 914, otherwise Sheridan's kit would be the only choice.
I'd like it to be presentable so I could throw plates on it and take it out to a cruise or carshow, etc...

I'm planning on using my 951 fuch's 8's in front with 9's in the rear.

Thanks in advance!
seanery
Oh, yeah, this is what I'm looking for:

GT Front Bumper
GT Valence
Rear Bumper
Front Fenders & Rear Quarters with flares
Rockers
Targa Roof
Front & Rear Trunks

I think Sheridan's rear spoiler is the spoiler to buy, but I'll listen to any thoughts on that, too.
Jeroen
Hey Sean,

You could try Air Cooled Racing
I asked them about a year ago, they have flared fenders for about $150 each IIRC
(complete fenders with flares, not just the flares)

They are the only ones I could find that make full f/g fenders that still look stock

Best to call them... they're hard to reach by e-mail.

Haven't seen their products, so can't really comment on the quality...

IIRC HPH also has full fibreglass fenders, but I don't like the look of those much (I prefer stock GT look)

The Sheridan kit does look nice, but I don't think I could affort to run that wide wheels and tires...

Tweeks sells narrowbody fenders in f/g for not too much money (150 per front corner and 170 per rear corner). You could slap some regular fg flares onto those too...

HTH

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Steve Limbert owns/runs Air cooled. I promise he isnt making the GT flares. We raced with him back in 95/6 at the Runoffs. Great guy that does some pretty damn good fab work.

Sean,

I would'nt swear to it, but HPH here in the bay area just about has everything in stock you listed. Give him a call 650-364-6234. He owns most of the moulds. Just make sure you have pricing for everything before you call. This way you can tell him what you can get it for elsewhere after he quotes you.

The place I'm dealing with right now is Getty Design (yes the people who does the dashes and STILL does the dashes)

www.gettydesign.com

B
r_towle
Cool web page...
Do they have a catalog of stuff for the 914???
How about a price for the dash????

Rich
Brad Roberts
They will snail mail you a catalog. They have every 914 mould ever made.

The dashes are 375$ my cost for carbon fiber. About 275$ fiberglass.

B
jonwatts
I like their door panels, not sure what other cool stuff they might have (Getty).

Who's making carbon fiber decklids these days?
Brad Roberts
Getty.

They make it all. That is where Richard Hatfield (V8 914) got his.

B
HotRod
I get my glass from Steve Limbert at Air Cooled Racing, he doesn't actuall make it but has a guy that does it for him. He has (I think) three different fenders for the 914 an E-Production set (which is what's on my car in the avatar), a GT-2 fender which is the same as the EP but wider (more flare) and the traditional 914 GT-6 flares. The ep fender works fine with 15x7 using 9 inch slicks, if your gonna run anything wider, or a wider track than is allowed by SCCA,I would recommend the GT-2 fenders (in the front for sure, the rears may be ok). It's quality stuff and priced reasonably. I think he also has a couple different bumper/air dam combinations.
brant
whats the story or lead on stock style fiberglass bumpers. I haven't bought one in about 6 years and need a front now.....

Chris, where did you get yours...
and if you don't mind sharring details.. what was shipping like/price like

I haven't checked with hank yet... although he is local so I might be able to save shipping...

thanks for peoples time.
brant
Robert Sutherland
We bought our fiberglass from Gary Wigglesworth of Translog, he owns the 914GT which won it's class at the Daytona 24 in 1970 and his parts are direct copies. We have looked at other peoples parts including AIR and GT and Translogs parts are by far the best, the front and rear lids in Race quality are built with balsa wood reinforcing like the original and weigh less than 7 lbs each, fit was perfect with no fitting required. rolleyes.gif
campbellcj
I thought Hatfield got his c/f lids from AIR. I'll check out the Getty and Translog guys definitely.

I have heard less than glowing comments about the quality of AIR stuff. Their prices are good, but there may be a reason.

Don't actually recall what I paid for the GT Racing bumpers, but you can check their catalog on the web site (PDF). It's pretty close although the web site seems to never get updated.

Hank is tough to reach on the phone. You basically have to call at 7 or 8am pacific time to catch him.
seanery
Chris,

After installing the bumpers and valence, what are your thoughts on the GT-Racing stuff?
campbellcj
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 16 2003, 09:25 PM)
Chris,

After installing the bumpers and valence, what are your thoughts on the GT-Racing stuff?

Honestly, I have no prior experience with fiberglass. But the front bumper was a new mold and really seems like a quality piece to me. The only trimming needed was on the brackets, and that was very simple. It bolted up to the stock dogbones and wheel well mount points.

One bummer is that he didn't have any without the foghorn grille areas cut out already. However, the way I mounted up the bumper and also my AMB transponder is thru the foghorn grille area. Then I made some aluminum sheet metal covers to close off the holes (I am not using the lamps at this point)

The lower spoiler/valence is not from GT; actually I have no clue who made it.
Brad Roberts
Robert,

I know Translog quality (we raced with them at Ohio also) You east cost guy's should probably buy from Translog or Steve Limbert.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.