Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Texture / Repair Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
I realize this may be a re-hash of a past post but I couldn't find it.

My top looks like hell... definitely faded, and a few small spots have the texturing & paint rubbed off. I would like to restore the targa to its original textured condition. I am keeping the sail vinyl so am not interested in painting to match the car.

I could:
1. Repair the few 'bald' spots & paint the roof -or-
2. Sand and retexture & paint the entire roof

Has anyone done either of these? If so, what did you use to fix the bald spots or how did you achieve that stock textured look (rocker paint, etc.)?

Thanks!!! mueba.gif
Lawrence
I have not done this myself, but have heard of using body schultz to recreate the original texture.

Good luck,
Lawrence
airsix
When I painted my first 914 the paint guy had me scrub the top good with a medium scotchbright pad and then he painted it black. I don't know what the tops looked like when they were new, but mine came back looking nice, if not original. It was glossy, but retained the textured surface.

-Ben M.
AZ914
Thanks for the posts. I took an orbital sander to it to knock off the loose stuff. I'm probably going to use a little body filler on the bare spots (about quarter size) and on the edges. I'll see if I can match the textured look by hand. If it looks like crap, I guess I'll just strip it clean.... confused24.gif
Anton
Discussed this issue just today with another Dutch 914 guy (my roof looks scrappy too wink.gif
Zeke
If I know anything (which is doubtful), the tops were splattered with gel coat. Now splattering is not too hard, they do it in the drywall industry every day. Mixing up a small amount of gel coat to the right consistancy and getting it on and then cleaning the stuff up is fairly complicated.

But, IMO, the top can be spotted in just as a wall can be repaired. Requires a cheap pressure pot type of gun. Kind of like the ones that sand blast. varying the pressure produces different effects.

Also, the 911 rocker panel texture should work. Just blend it in. The tops were not glossy. The paint should be like rustoleum semi gloss or satin. Or a blend of the two, which I've done many a time to get just the right sheen.
krk
The workshop manuals I have are not all that enlightening. In fact, it totals two sentences.

"The fiberglass roof, fron and rear bumpers (beginning with 1973 models, except cars built to USA specifications), front and rear panels, and outer covers of the rocker panels are painted a dull black.

If repainting becomes necessary, use domestically supplied paints, such as Rinshed-Mason Nr. 681 Black or equivalent."

"how to restore and modify your porsche 914 adn 914/6" suggests the best (although not perfect) paint match is Wurth Matte Black paint.

hth.

kim.
john rogers
I've had two tops done in TJ Mexico and they matched the original finish just about perfect. They removed the old spatter type finish and reapplied it and painted it black, sort of a semi-gloss off-matt color? If you are close to San Diego I can take you over there to the shop where I get my work done.
meursault
If you decide to sand the top, make sure you seal it. I'm no expert on fiberglass by any means, but I can tell you about targa tops with cracked up paint because whoever painted it didn't prep it properly.

Also, there's somebody in the San Diego area who's been skinning original tops with a layer of carbon fiber. He does a good job and it looks sweet.
kdfoust
QUOTE(john rogers @ May 1 2003, 01:21 PM)
I've had two tops done in TJ Mexico and they matched the original finish just about perfect. They removed the old spatter type finish and reapplied it and painted it black, sort of a semi-gloss off-matt color? If you are close to San Diego I can take you over there to the shop where I get my work done.

John, like how much$? I'd like to get my targa top redone.

Have fun,
Kevin
Brad Roberts
We load the spray guns with clear 3M Rock guard and lightly haze the top after scuffing it. Then shoot the paint. They almost look stock when done.

B
AZ914
Yeah, I was thinking the rocker panel stuff would be good. This is not going to be a concourse car, just looking for something that looks good. Thanks for the tip on the Wurth etc...

I'll let you know how it went on Monday mueba.gif
john rogers
I think the cost was $25 but it was part of lots more work I had done. I think they used the method Brad mentioned?
kdfoust
QUOTE(john rogers @ May 2 2003, 08:59 AM)
I think the cost was $25 but it was part of lots more work I had done. I think they used the method Brad mentioned?

I've got two tops that I want to have refinished. Did they do any repairs (I've got a corner dinged) or should I take care of that stuff?

Have fun,
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.