Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can this be? 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am the original owner of my 73 1.7. Until recently I just drove and had it serviced/repaired and that was it. Did really didn't know or remember what they did at the shop! I did not really look under the hood and learn things.

As I get older I want to know more about the car.

I was reading that the 73 1.7 engines had yellow injectors. I was looking at my injectors and they are green! No, I am not color blind!

I had the engine out this summer to be resealed and I took a picture and you can see I have green injectors.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Terry
jcd914
Someone replaced the original injectors with the green 2.0 injectors. They are identical in size and shape, so they interchange. 2.0 injector will spray more fuel for the same injector pulse width and fuel pressure.
The rest of your engine looks to be 1.7, 4 bolt intakes, spark plug angle, throttle body on the side of plenum, etc...
Why they used 2.0 injectors instead of 1.7s, who knows!
They may have been cheaper (not likely).
May have been misordered?
May have been "the hot thing" at the time?
They may have been compensating for a lean mixture (work around not a fix).

If you do not have a mixture or running problem then it does not really matter.

PS: The cloth covered fuel hose on the injectors in the picture are typically considered to be failure points and cut off new injectors and replaced with high pressure fuel injection hose or ellbows (if you can find elbows).

Jim
JawjaPorsche
Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback. No wonder my teener was getting poor gas mileage!

I will replace with the correct Yellow Injectors and new fuel elbow hoses.

Terry

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 7 2011, 02:43 PM) *

Someone replaced the original injectors with the green 2.0 injectors. They are identical in size and shape, so they interchange. 2.0 injector will spray more fuel for the same injector pulse width and fuel pressure.
The rest of your engine looks to be 1.7, 4 bolt intakes, spark plug angle, throttle body on the side of plenum, etc...
Why they used 2.0 injectors instead of 1.7s, who knows!
They may have been cheaper (not likely).
May have been misordered?
May have been "the hot thing" at the time?
They may have been compensating for a lean mixture (work around not a fix).

If you do not have a mixture or running problem then it does not really matter.

PS: The cloth covered fuel hose on the injectors in the picture are typically considered to be failure points and cut off new injectors and replaced with high pressure fuel injection hose or ellbows (if you can find elbows).

Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.