Full Version: OT: To whomever moved the Pearl Harbor Day thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 7 2011, 12:20 PM) *
Leave this country and don't come back.

Goodbye then ... confused24.gif

- This is 914world.com, not 914usa.com.

- I had no idea it was "Pearl Harbor Day" and the thread didn't say a word about Pearl Harbor.

- It isn't 914 or even car related and as such should have been, at a minimum, titled OT. But it wasn't.

Simple as that. Off topic stuff should go in the off topic forum (Sandbox) or at a minimum be clearly labeled as such.

stirthepot.gif
JRust
I don't want you to leave Andy wub.gif . Thanks for all your hard work
PBC914
There was a picture of the Arizona memorial listed in the posting.

The post was a thoughtful reminder and rememberance of Pearl Harbor.

I understand guidelines were being followed in moving the post. Let's demonstrate more flexibility and less rigidity around posts such as this one where it may have been posted in the wrong area, but all members were grateful it had been thoughtfully posted in rememberance of that tragic day.
SLITS
eric914
December 7th - "a date which will live in infamy" ring a bell?
SirAndy
QUOTE(eric914 @ Dec 7 2011, 01:19 PM) *

December 7th - "a date which will live in infamy" ring a bell?

There's only about 300 million of "you" and about 6.5 billion of "us" in this world. That's a whopping 21:1 ...

So no, "a date which will live in infamy" does not ring a bell since i did not grow up in the US and US history was not high on the list of things to learn in school.

Now, if the thread had said *anything* at all about Pearl Harbor, and i mean ANYTHING, i would probably have made the connection.

But it didn't and so i didn't.
popcorn[1].gif
Twise
Damn Nazi's...

Oakland technically isn't part of the United States anyway, so its okay for you to stay where you are. We will call it "TIME SERVED"...
DanT
Ouch that last "N" word is a bit over the top, isn't it? sad.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 7 2011, 01:56 PM) *

agree.gif
I don't think it belongs here even if used in jest.

Jim
Richard Casto
It's not like it was deleted or closed? It was just moved to the Sandbox? I don't see the need for the drama here. confused24.gif

Richard
brant
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 7 2011, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 7 2011, 01:56 PM) *

agree.gif
I don't think it belongs here even if used in jest.

Jim

I agree..
please just delete your own post
no need to start calling names.
I'll happily go to the sandbox and read the thread
I respect all of our vets and especially remember those from 12/7

please get rid of the name calling though.
brant
jcambo7
QUOTE(Twise @ Dec 7 2011, 04:48 PM) *

Damn Nazi's...

Oakland technically isn't part of the United States anyway, so its okay for you to stay where you are. We will call it "TIME SERVED"...

A very pernicious comment. I am probably not the only one to take offense to this. It's not Andy's fault that in Germany where he grew up they don't teach U.S. History and than to state that is just insensitive. We all come from different nationalities and I have some German in me and proudly serve my country. Yes their are people out there still believing in that cause but absolutely no need to say that. You may not have intended it but it is offensive. sad.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Twise @ Dec 7 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Damn Nazi's...

idea.gif
Is real red back?

Not a cool thing to say, especially about the guy who put this whole thing together FOR FREE!
shoguneagle
Not cool to be name calling!! I understand what Andy did and would have done the same thing if I did not have a background in US History and having lived in this country all my life.

How can I say anything concerning this subject?

I am retired military 29 plus years. I am a Viet Nam Veteran. I have personal and unit citations going back many years including the 2.5 tours I did in Nam.

Please do not get on Andy for just doing his job. Many of us have done basically the same thing during our life which if we had additional knowledge we would have done things differently.

Andy, thanks for the many hours you have put into this site as well as the other 914 site. We would not be as far along as we are now without your efforts.

We all make mistakes or do things differently; time to move on and still honor the WWII Vets.

Steve Hurt
Drums66
......... flag.gif
Tom_T
Might I suggest that the admins use a process similar to the Classifieds, where a FS lister forgets to put in a price & you folks ask them to add it - rather than moving or locking the thread.

Maybe in the Garage you could just remind the original poster to add OT to the title instead of moving them? confused24.gif

I suggest this since there is a lot of OT/SOT/NPC in the Garage already - such as the "Happy whateverholiday" posts every time one rolls around. Also, it's probably easier just to remind them of the need for an OT etc. tag, than to move them.

Most folks really don't have a problem with the OTs being in the Garage & most folks look in the Garage - not in the Sandbox, so somebody wanting to reach more members naturally do it here, such as for the Birthday Fairy posts. And if it's not a topic in which we're interested, we just move on. SLITS has been around this group a lot longer than I, and he's made a point here.

Although I do understand the need for moving the nekked girls pix, cuz otherwise nobody would get any work done! laugh.gif

BTW - I already promised Gint that I'd keep my "R-word" stuff in the Sandbox!! lol-2.gif
SLITS
ConeDodger
Having a retired military id in my pocket qualifies me to speak up about this. Just because something is in the Sandbox doesn't make it any less of a contribution. It is simply the 'correct' place for posts that aren't car related.

So chill out and thanks for remembering the sacrifices of perhaps our most heroic generation. smile.gif
Steve
I know its 914world, but most of the people on this board and on the admin staff live in the states. It would be nice to be able to post dates such as today as OT in the garage. I also wouldn't have a problem with members posting memorial dates from there country in the garage as OT.
rick 918-S
Sir Andy, I appoligize for the guy that used that vulger, tasteless and hurtful word. It was thrown carelessly on this forum. I happen to know you love this country as we all do. I'm sorry. There is no excuse.
montoya 73 2.0
Sir Andy, Keep up the good work and you did what should have been done.

I mean really, do you guys think everyone in the world knows what Dec. 7th means to some Americans? Half the people at my work didn't even remember that it was today and a good percentage of the others didn't even know what date it was on (I asked).

Give Sept. 11 some 70 years and we will be having this same conversation about that too. Just telling the truth.
Elliot Cannon
I was born in this country, served 4 years in the US Air Force 1966-1970 and have voted in every election since I was old enough. flag.gif I consider myself a patriot and I believe complaints about moving this post are somewhat missplaced. It's just a car forum (a good one). Get over it.
Krieger
This thread is now locked.
r_towle
Drop it, Andy did what he did, and it's over.
I also apologize for the tasteless and uneducated response you got.

Rich
Steve
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 7 2011, 08:31 PM) *

I was born in this country, served 4 years in the US Air Force 1966-1970 and have voted in every election since I was old enough. flag.gif I consider myself a patriot and I believe complaints about moving this post are somewhat missplaced. It's just a car forum (a good one). Get over it.

agree.gif
Not funny story... My wife is named Pearl and she was born on Dec. 7th and our wedding anniversary is September 11th. I never forget her birthday or our anniversary. dry.gif blink.gif

IBTL
lagunero
driving-girl.gif

Life is good

And sorry Andy
TheCabinetmaker
zymurgist
Personally, I don't see an issue with the thread being in the Sandbox. I "View New Posts" and I don't pay attention to which area a thread is in.

Oh, and obligatory...

ILBT
Twise
Dude, you guys gotta lighten up - really - of course he is not a nazi - i felt someone needed to make light of the situation.

I don't think Andy needs to learn a damn thing about our country or Pearl Harbor, how much German history outside of Porsche stuff do any of you guys know.

You need to move this post to the bottom of someones shoe where it belongs.

And before you start mouthing off about military this and that - I served, did you?
SLITS
Car

All the rest is gone.

You fuchers can be happy now!
tradisrad
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 7 2011, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Twise @ Dec 7 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Damn Nazi's...

idea.gif
Is real red back?

Not a cool thing to say, especially about the guy who put this whole thing together FOR FREE!

FWIW That is not real red.
montoya 73 2.0
I tried to get into the military back in 1988 (when I was 18) but due to my philosophy of "shoot first ask questions later", the recruiter said the military probably wasn't for me. I guess I don't deal well with rules when it comes to me living or dieing.
VRROOMM1
if it wasnt for the germans the site would not be here(porsche 914 a german car) i like andy he is doing his job ps i work for vw
EdwardBlume
914s were made by Germans... driven by Americans who make Americans. Its all good.
Ductech
geez guys lets just get along, I am one for unbiased enjoyment of porches, I mostly could care less of cultural historic differences. why is it always us americans that get pissed when someone that isn't part of our nationality originally Does not have the blind support of all things american like most of us do. I respect and am thankful for all of the sacrifices that have been made by this country's soldiers and civilians in time of war. But I feel that we do not have an open enough mind to realize that maybe our shit isn't the most important in the world. Besides. Lets not point fingers at other people cause last I checked this was a car forum for a import car from one of our ww2 enemies. Why don't we get all worked up and hold a memorial for the thousands of Japanese that died after we built the bomb. This is 914world right? Or should it be 914Team America? Now all yah all get back to work! welder.gif
VaccaRabite
If interested I'm the jerk about to close this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.