Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater lever.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
All,

Thanks for the help on the heater lever operation. I disconnected the battery and disassembled the lever, removed most of the parts and cleaned them up and removed 40 years of corrosion. Sir Andy, thanks for the warning on the wire, probably would have shorted something out if I pulled the lever with the battery connected.

With that said, hopefully these are my last questions. unsure.gif

1. Is the wire that is connected to the lever "hot" when the ignition is in accessory mode, or only when the engine is actually on? Can I use my 12V sensor (screwdriver looking thing with a bulb in it and a ground wire) to connect to the wire and an approriate ground and make sure I actually have power?

2. If it turns out that I can't verify that the wire is hot and I reassemble everything and the fan does not work with the lever up, do I look at the relay in the engine compartment?

3. If my fan motor is not working, can I verify by pulling the wires at the fan and connect directly to the battery and a ground and check that the fan works?

I know the fan does not add much air flow, I just feel compelled to tinker with it until it works....need to spend some time in the garage before it gets too cold...
PancakePorsche
The wire just grounds when lever is lifted. It completes the circuit that energizes the blower relay on rear relay panel (relay has +12 volts waiting on one side of the coil) There is also a fuse on the board for the motor. Try swapping the relays to see if you have a bad one.
The blower really helps on very cold days, always good to have it operational.
type47
I'm not sure there is an "accessory" position on the ignition switch, or at least not like the 'merican cars I('ve) have (had). I thought an accessory position was the first turn of the key counterclockwise. My 914 key has OFF-ON-START positions.
(but that's a small detail and not important to your question)

What I would do is connect the fan motor to +12V by using a length of wire from the + post of the battery to the terminal of the motor connected to the green wire to see if the fan actually runs and is good. +12V and ground connections to the fan motor should make it run to verify a good motor (if not already verified).

The heater blower motor is in Track 94 of the factory schematic for '74 (pelicanparts has the schematic).

The green wire from the motor goes to a connector (plastic 2 wire connector at the motor) and from the connector to the relay board 14 pin connector plug terminal 11 (as shown in the elec diagram Track 94). You could then remove the connecting plug from the relay board and connect +12V to terminal 11 on the board and that should make the fan motor run. The +12V goes through the relay board from the 12 pin plug Terminal 11 to the 14 pin plug Terminal 11.

At the Heater Blower relay, identify terminals 30 and 87. 30 should be +12V and is connected to 87 by the relay closing the terminals. Jumping 30 and 87 should make the fan motor run.

Looking back at the stuff above, jumping 30 and 87 and seeing if the motor runs would be a better shortcut to do first.

Don't know if this makes sense and I hope others will edit and/or correct my post.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.