Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would this be a good 914 to purchase?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cplego7
Hi I'm new the webstite basicly because I'm wondering if this car would be very restorable? And what it looks like it may need. If I get it, I'm wanting to fix it up enough to run, fixing the majar rust, and try to prevent the rest from getting worse for the next few years. I asked for a few more pictures and in the pictures a few of the pans will need replaced. The only thing I'm worried about is the rocker panel area. I am a beginner with working on cars but I'm willing to learn and work on it. Thanks! For any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Porsch...13#ht_500wt_948
johannes
"Quit driving it in 1987 when the right rear suspension mounting point rusted out"
That sounds very bad !!! that means the longs are dead.

Parts car... Could be worth the price if it doesn't go over 500.
Save you money and buy a better one.
somd914
QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 8 2011, 04:05 AM) *

"Quit driving it in 1987 when the right rear suspension mounting point rusted out"
That sounds very bad !!! that means the longs are dead.

Parts car... Could be worth the price if it doesn't go over 500.
Save you money and buy a better one.

agree.gif Not a beginners project - major body work, engine rebuild (turned over and ran fine 25 years ago, that likely won't be the case now), and the list goes on and on. Plenty of respectable 914s out there in the $5k-$10k range which is less than you'll put into this.
billh1963
Look on this site for some project cars....there are a few nice ones available.
carr914
"Engine ran great in 1987" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

That is a Parts Car only

Run Forrest, Run
sfrenck
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 8 2011, 06:46 AM) *

agree.gif And since you're new to the site they are found in the Classified Forum under "FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers"

In my experience, from newbie to somewhat less of a newbie over the last 1 1/2 years, you're going to end up spending $5000-$10000 to get a 914 that you can drive around (more if you want to autocross / race).

The thing you have to think about: do you want to buy something like your Ebay find for $500 and use the rest of the $4500 - $9500 a little at a time (over a long time) learning / fixing, buy something for more $$ and work on it less, or just bite the bullet and by something that is ready to go with few fixes.
GaroldShaffer
agree.gif with the others, that is a parts car at best. Where in Indiana are you? I'm up in Portage (aka Chicagoland area).

What are you looking for? By that I mean a running project car, complete driver, or??? I might be able to help you find something or at least put yo in touch witha few people that would have better connections than me help you find the right car for you.
tod914
74 copper metalic... probally the only one in existance. Quite rare. As far as fixing up? Doubt it. You'd be better off finding a solid rust free roller.
monkeyboy
That car would be a massive project for an experienced restoration guy. I hate to be negative, but if you haven't restored a car before, this one is likely to be too large a project to get finished.

I'm not saying you couldn't, but I know I couldn't and I have seen a lot of projects like this that got overwhelming and abandoned.

I'd start with a more solid car.

If you are looking to pick it up, there has to be better cars in your area. If shipping is OK, look west.
mtn flyr
By the way, welcome to the madness! Lots of knowledge here, keep looking and welcome.png
aharder
agree.gif this is one you should walk away from...
sfrenck
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Dec 8 2011, 11:29 AM) *

That car would be a massive project for an experienced restoration guy. I hate to be negative, but if you haven't restored a car before, this one is likely to be too large a project to get finished.

I'm not saying you couldn't, but I know I couldn't and I have seen a lot of projects like this that got overwhelming and abandoned.

I'd start with a more solid car.

If you are looking to pick it up, there has to be better cars in your area. If shipping is OK, look west.

agree.gif Again, it's worth it to put the money into shipping a low rust car from the west instead of paying to fix the rust from the east (I, unfortunately, didn't go far enough west with mine).

At least get in touch with Brad Mayeur. He'd be one of my first stops if I were close.

Brad Mayeur
914 Limited Inc.
1162 N. Byerly Hills Dr.
East Peoria, IL. 61611
309-694-1797
poorsche914
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 8 2011, 11:39 AM) *
At least get in touch with Brad Mayeur. He'd be one of my first stops if I were close.

Brad Mayeur
914 Limited Inc.
1162 N. Byerly Hills Dr.
East Peoria, IL. 61611
309-694-1797

agree.gif Seems he has had a car or two in the classifieds recently. Good drivers and under 5k.

driving.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(cplego7 @ Dec 8 2011, 12:09 AM) *

Hi I'm new the webstite basicly because I'm wondering if this car would be very restorable? And what it looks like it may need. If I get it, I'm wanting to fix it up enough to run, fixing the majar rust, and try to prevent the rest from getting worse for the next few years. I asked for a few more pictures and in the pictures a few of the pans will need replaced. The only thing I'm worried about is the rocker panel area. I am a beginner with working on cars but I'm willing to learn and work on it. Thanks! For any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Porsch...13#ht_500wt_948

I bought one in MUCH better shape (basically as rust free as I can see) and it still is a daunting task for someone that isn't a fully-functional "car guy". Listen to the experienced guys/gals on here and do what they say (even if I don't always do it, I know I may have to but I want to be an independent cuss sometimes). I would worry about finding one that is nearly rust free even if the engine is oozing sludge out of every possible place. driving.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 8 2011, 03:46 AM) *

agree.gif that one looks like an unbelievable can of worms! ...... keep looking here & 914club.com , ClubNARP.com , TheSamba.com , Pelican's classifieds, etc.

and..... welcome.png
jcambo7
It's better to run away from that than to walk. Way too much time and money would have to be put into it to get it road worthy again. Be patient and keep looking. You can find decent running car that needs some work for a good price if you are patient.
Also
welcome.png
timofly
agree.gif

With all of the above. This one would cost far more to restore than it will ever be worth, unless it's filled with illegal substances.

I'm not even sure it's a "parts car" as some have suggested. Looks like most of those parts will be junk. Listen to these guys on this site. MOST of them know what they are talking about and the rest are fun to read anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.