Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 owners/stock 4 with carbs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverbullet75
Thinking about doing an older SBC, carbbed. Those who have this setup, do you pass smog?

Thanks,
JIM
BMITCHELL
75 and older in CA don't need smog. I guess Neveda is not the same.
914GT
Mine easily meets Arizona HC/CO emissions limits (400ppm/5%) as long as I don't have to wait in a long line or let it idle long. Otherwise the carburetor gets too hot due to lack of airflow in the engine compartment and excess gas spills into the intake. Last week mine passed with 207 ppm HC and 1.18% CO.
silverbullet75
QUOTE(BMITCHELL @ Dec 8 2011, 11:39 AM) *

I WISH!
67 is the current year/cut-off.
silverbullet75
QUOTE(914GT @ Dec 8 2011, 12:13 PM) *

Mine easily meets Arizona HC/CO emissions limits (400ppm/5%) as long as I don't have to wait in a long line or let it idle long. Otherwise the carburetor gets too hot due to lack of airflow in the engine compartment and excess gas spills into the intake. Last week mine passed with 207 ppm HC and 1.18% CO.

Ok, that helps... gives me optimism.
Thank you!
matthepcat
My conversion saw the referee in CA back when the smog year was 67 or somthing like that.

If done correct, with a correct air cleaner, Cat, EGR and smog legal Holley carb, you can pass.

It from that point on is smogged as a Camaro or similar vehicle of that year.
SirAndy
QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *
I WISH!

I thought Nevada just switched to a 30 year rolling exemption? idea.gif
silverbullet75
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Dec 8 2011, 12:38 PM) *

My conversion saw the referee in CA back when the smog year was 67 or somthing like that.

If done correct, with a correct air cleaner, Cat, EGR and smog legal Holley carb, you can pass.

It from that point on is smogged as a Camaro or similar vehicle of that year.

Thank you!

Note: I just changed the title of this thread to add Stock 4cyls. with aftermarket carbs.

Have any of you been able to get a 914-4 with carbs to pass smog?
silverbullet75
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2011, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *
I WISH!

I thought Nevada just switched to a 30 year rolling exemption? idea.gif

That would be nice...
Here are the current rules (if interested).
It's even more complicated than I lead on...
The 67 year is only if you have registered as a classic vehicle, and plan to only drive 5000 miles a year.

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm#Fail
SirAndy
QUOTE(silverbullet75 @ Dec 8 2011, 12:47 PM) *
That would be nice...
The 67 year is only if you have registered as a classic vehicle, and plan to only drive 5000 miles a year.

That website might be out of date. I'm pretty sure i heard that NV just recently implemented a 30 year cutoff for classic vehicles.

Or maybe i just had a few too many drunk.gif
biggrin.gif
r_towle
It could be done with carbs...if they are basing the numbers on the year of the car, and a V8 motor...you can get a 70,s v8 to pass.

If you need to meet the standards of today...forget it.

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2011, 01:30 PM) *

That would be nice...

That website might be out of date. I'm pretty sure i heard that NV just recently implemented a 30 year cutoff for classic vehicles.

biggrin.gif

Most of NV is exempt, but Reno and Vegas still have some restrictions. The loophole is to get it registered as a classic vehicle. Then you are exempt. That is a recent implementation, at least here in Reno. Check into it for Vegas.
silverbullet75
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 8 2011, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2011, 01:30 PM) *

That would be nice...

biggrin.gif

Most of NV is exempt, but Reno and Vegas still have some restrictions. The loophole is to get it registered as a classic vehicle. Then you are exempt. That is a recent implementation, at least here in Reno. Check into it for Vegas.

Same for Vegas... but you can't drive more than 5k miles a year.
914GT
The Nevada exemption looks better then here in Arizona metro areas. I can get classic registration and emissions exemption here, but the catch is I have to get collector car insurance. Doing that means no driving the car to work, even as a backup vehicle and no running errands. I could drive it to work, but if I was in an accident I could be denied a claim. If Arizona just had the 5k mile limit and keep my existing insurance coverage I'd jump at that.
VaccaRabite
Call around. Different classic car insurance companies have different rules. Some allow trips to work once a week or are willing to negotiate a rate that allows occational trips to work. Everything is negotiable.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.