Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing correct engine cross bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pt_700
after years of driving around with the incorrect early bar on my '71 sideshift conversion, i've sourced the correct late bar (with the holes for cables & shift rod - i'll be sure not to install it reversed!).

i'm planning to back her up onto ramps and supporting the engine on at least a couple stands. provided i do that well, any reason i couldn't replace that cross bar without disturbing parts other than the rear shift rod and clutch cable?

i seem to recal that flipping the washers on the bar to body mounts might stiffen things up a bit. is that correct or should i just replace those?

long term plan was to change to sbc but, that's a long way off...
SirAndy
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 9 2011, 12:17 PM) *
any reason i couldn't replace that cross bar without disturbing parts other than the rear shift rod and clutch cable?

Trying to add the rubber mounts to the engine with the engine in the car is going to be a major PITA ...

IMHO, if you have a floor jack, it's easier to just drop the engine and trans together and work on the brackets and rubber mounts with the engine out of the car, then bolt the bar to the engine and put everything back into the car.

DO NOT use rubber outer mounts on the late style bar! The outside needs solid mounts.
shades.gif
pt_700
yikes! i was kind of afraid somebody would say to drop the engine/trans!

why no rubber body (outside) mounts with the later bar? did the stock late model cars come with rubber or solid mounts? if i buy solid mounts for the body, would these still be useful if i ever complete my sbc conversion?

thanks for the input andy!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2011, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 9 2011, 12:17 PM) *
any reason i couldn't replace that cross bar without disturbing parts other than the rear shift rod and clutch cable?

Trying to add the rubber mounts to the engine with the engine in the car is going to be a major PITA ...

IMHO, if you have a floor jack, it's easier to just drop the engine and trans together and work on the brackets and rubber mounts with the engine out of the car, then bolt the bar to the engine and put everything back into the car.

DO NOT use rubber outer mounts on the late style bar! The outside needs solid mounts.
shades.gif

GeorgeRud
The sideshifter engine bar was firmly attached to the body with a U-channel shaped piece at the outer end. I think if you have two rubber mounts in the system, the engine/trans will probably shift around too much.

It's a pretty simple piece to fabricate if you can't find any.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 9 2011, 12:54 PM) *
The sideshifter engine bar was firmly attached to the body with a U-channel shaped piece at the outer end.

agree.gif
No rubber on the outside for sideshifters. It's a solid mount.

On a sideshifter, the rubber mounts go between the engine bar and the engine. You will need those and the appropriate brackets. They are a bitch to get to, even with the engine out.

smash.gif
pt_700
thanks for the input gentlemen! think i need to take a closer look at a later car before i start unscrewing things...

i do have the correct later mounts that go between engine and bar, threads a tiny bit buggered on one but, i can try to fix or get another.

anybody have a sideshifter car in the s.f. bay area (south san jose) i can gawk at?

something new to learn anytime one starts in on these little cars, no?

if anybody else has wisdom to share, please do! hard to believe i did most of this stuff (if somewhat incorrectly) myself years ago...
JStroud
I don't live close enough for you to look at my cars, but here's a few pics of the set up on my 74.

The engine bar to body mount

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rubber mount between engine bar and engine

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps.
Jeff

pt_700
awesome jeff! mahalo! looks like i'll need to source (or fab, as george suggested) that little u-shaped piece that spans the hole in the body.

turning into more of a project than i thought.. oh well, better now than when i've taken things apart!

anybody have those u-shaped pieces they can part with?
TheCabinetmaker
Its doable from the bottom. You need the brackets that bolt to the front of the block that the mounts bolt to. You'll need to remove all the heat ducting from the exchangers forward, and the oil filter. the four bolts from bracket to block will be the challenge.
Cap'n Krusty
I might add that the brackets are '73'76 model year 914 ONLY. Buse equivalents don't work. Not even close. I have a couple of the outboard brackets I can spare. Used. New, too
Maybe the engine ones, too. I'll look. PM me.

The Cap'n
pt_700
man, i love this place! piratenanner.gif

besides finally (started this conversion many years ago) gleaning the knowledge to complete this project correctly, a local member has stepped up with the pieces i was missing.

the tips and pics are much appreciated.

bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.