Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Okay, a newish noise has begun. It actually started a while back but only when making pretty aggressive turns. Tonight, very cold, the noise happened just driving straight.

It is coming from behind me and low, a bit left. It is a light thunk thunk thunk and is the same speed as the yet to be fixed pulsing front brakes. .but is unrelated because it is from behind me. It slows down and speeds up with the speed of the car, unrelated to engine speed. CV joint? Something loose where the axle half connects to the transmission? Maybe? headbang.gif

Thanks

Sean
EdwardBlume
The rear main drive shaft may be detaching. Your car becomes a push sled at that point.

Mine came off at 70+ and sounded like I threw a rod. Big clunk when they shift. Pull off the rear wheels and look at your hub. Is the cotter pin still in(tact)?
pcar916
100% inspection under the car of every nut and bolt in your drivetrain starting with the cv bolts. Settle in on a creeper and look at, push, pull and shake everything you can get your hands on.

Then go to the front of the car and do the same... it's up in the air after all!
mrholland2
It is against the rules of my HOA (I'm on the board) to work on vehicles on the property. Would you risk a 25 mile highway drive to a friends where we can work on it? I think he and I have time next saturday to be all clever and work on whatever needs to be done (checking this noise out and replacing the warped and one hole stripped out rotors and brake pads on the front)

I'm not going to consider your answer a guarantee, I just don't want the rear axle to fly out of the car or something and drag the back on the ground, ruining the engine and body (can that happen??)

QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2011, 04:27 AM) *

The rear main drive shaft may be detaching. Your car becomes a push sled at that point.

Mine came off at 70+ and sounded like I threw a rod. Big clunk when they shift. Pull off the rear wheels and look at your hub. Is the cotter pin still in(tact)?

underthetire
A hoa ar15.gif and your on the board with a 914 av-943.gif

I had a loose axle as well, could also be a rear bearing. Loose axle at speed coming out = scary and usually more money.
stugray
sounds like a CV joint.
And my attitude towards the HOA is to just do the work anyway.
you dont have a garage or carport?

If you knew which CV, it can be replaced in about 30 minutes.

Stu
mrholland2
No garage or carport. . townhouses circa 1980. . lakefront, and remember, I'm on the board. . I would have to issue a 100 buck fine to myself. Without this rule, we'd have cars on blocks. . engines in parking spaces etc. .

It seems like a GENTLE drive to my friends would be okay??????

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 10 2011, 10:03 AM) *

sounds like a CV joint.
And my attitude towards the HOA is to just do the work anyway.
you dont have a garage or carport?

If you knew which CV, it can be replaced in about 30 minutes.

Stu

somd914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 10 2011, 01:21 PM) *

No garage or carport. . townhouses circa 1980. . lakefront, and remember, I'm on the board. . I would have to issue a 100 buck fine to myself. Without this rule, we'd have cars on blocks. . engines in parking spaces etc. .

So, you would write the check to yourself to pay the fine.. smile.gif

Hmmm, you need our HOA - cars on blocks, sanding body work on driveways, assorted parts hanging from tree branches while they're being painted, compressor and air tools running late into the nights, etc., and that's just our house. But if I try to paint my shutters a different color w/o approval, watch out!

Seriously, can't you at least put each wheel up and do a simple inspection - not much different from changing a flat, or is that against the rules?

Concur that I would suspect a CV. My experiences with bad/loose bearings has been growling/rubbing sounds.
Spoke

Only you can answer that question. How bad it is. How long until it explodes or comes apart.

You could always do the ghetto thing and take it to a nearby strip mall, go behind the mall and out of the way and jack it up there. If someone (police) questions you just explain you may have a major issue and the car may need towed. You are just inspecting for trouble.
Als914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 10 2011, 08:26 AM) *

It is against the rules of my HOA (I'm on the board) to work on vehicles on the property. Would you risk a 25 mile highway drive to a friends where we can work on it? I think he and I have time next saturday to be all clever and work on whatever needs to be done (checking this noise out and replacing the warped and one hole stripped out rotors and brake pads on the front)

I'm not going to consider your answer a guarantee, I just don't want the rear axle to fly out of the car or something and drag the back on the ground, ruining the engine and body (can that happen??)

QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2011, 04:27 AM) *

If you have AAA have them pick it up and ship it over to you friend's place.
Ductech
I love the bull shit involved with HOA and trying to survive as someone who doesn't drive a new benz everywhere... and you don't have a garage to go with your teener? I guess you didn't get the check list of whats required when owning an older car.

ahh Home Owners Associations,, destroying the ingenuity that we americans were known for.
TheCabinetmaker
Unless your very large chested, you should be able to get far enough under the rear to grab, shake, and inspect cv's and axles.

BTW, I've heard wheel bearings make the exact noise you describe. At least jack up each rear wheel and check them (grab tire a 12 and 6 oclock and try to move it up and down). You could be done before anyone can get the camera turned on. Actually, you wouldn't even be working on the car, just testing the jack. Twice.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 10 2011, 11:11 AM) *

Only you can answer that question. How bad it is. How long until it explodes or comes apart.

You could always do the ghetto thing and take it to a nearby strip mall, go behind the mall and out of the way and jack it up there. If someone (police) questions you just explain you may have a major issue and the car may need towed. You are just inspecting for trouble.

The nearest strip mall is 25 miles away as well. smile.gif
mrholland2
I imagine I can get away with some checking. Honestly, I like the HOA rules, they have worked to help improve the place alot. You can't imagine what was going on before, people owning a place with no front door and animals moving in etc. But that isn't the point of this topic.

As long as I don't report myself, I can probably do the "Jack test" yank on the tire thing. I'll do that and decide from there.

If I can get it to my friends place, I'll do a more thorough inspection.

Thanks guys/gals.

Sean

(if you ever have questions about what band instruments to buy for your kids or whatever, I"m the go to guy to pay ya back for your 914 advice)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.