Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garage Heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
well the the mercury has been dipping consistently below freezing every eve its getting harder & tolerate working in in my unheated garage.
I had been heating it with a older stand up keroseen heater. But between the stink the thing gives off & the cost of the fuel now I dont use it.
So I thought about sourcing & installing a small Nat. Gas fired hanging heater,
from Dayton or Reznor but the units I come accross are all too big (& expensive) for
my two car garage?
Any Help sad.gif
balljoint
There are small natural gas radiant heaters that are ideal for workshops. A lot of the fuel burners are going to up the humidity in your shop which can be a problem but the radiant heaters don't seem to be a problem that way. There's always electric. Efficient. Portable. Dry. No smell. How are your electricity rates?
MDG
I use an electric heater in my 18' x 25' garage. The garage is very well insulated including the main door, side door and window. One small 4800w/240v industrial heater does the job. Set the thermostat low and it will keep the garage in the mid 50s all winter. When you need to go out and work, turn up the thermo and you can work in shirtsleeves.

Not sure what your electrical costs are down there but Dec./early March costs me about $150ish. The heater was around $100.

A dehumidifier in conjuction with one of these and you could work on your car in shorts if you'd like.
underthetire
You could buy my small gas/deisel fuel heater. 20k btu would do it beer.gif
tomeric914
Both Sterling and Reznor make small gas fired unit heaters. The smallest is 30,000 btu which should be just right for your 2 car garage.

Sterling markets the "Garage Guy" now model GG http://www.sterlinghvac.com/products/indoo...rage-heater.asp

Reznor has the UDAP and its variants https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udap.html

Below is my installation for my current garage. I also put a slightly larger heater in a pole barn application and converted it to propane to run off of a 40 lb propane cylinder.

Contractor price for one of these heaters is somewhere around $400.

Enjoy!

Click to view attachment
messix
Cheap/free wood stove off craigs list
r_towle
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 10 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Both Sterling and Reznor make small gas fired unit heaters. The smallest is 30,000 btu which should be just right for your 2 car garage.

Sterling markets the "Garage Guy" now model GG http://www.sterlinghvac.com/products/indoo...rage-heater.asp

Reznor has the UDAP and its variants https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udap.html

Below is my installation for my current garage. I also put a slightly larger heater in a pole barn application and converted it to propane to run off of a 40 lb propane cylinder.

Contractor price for one of these heaters is somewhere around $400.

Enjoy!

Click to view attachment

Can you get me one?

tdgray
Thats a nice unit... hmmm... when mine dies I think that would do the trick.

Gint
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 10 2011, 11:38 AM) *
I use an electric heater in my 18' x 25' garage. The garage is very well insulated including the main door, side door and window. One small 4800w/240v industrial heater does the job. Set the thermostat low and it will keep the garage in the mid 50s all winter. When you need to go out and work, turn up the thermo and you can work in shirtsleeves.

Not sure what your electrical costs are down there but Dec./early March costs me about $150ish. The heater was around $100.

A dehumidifier in conjuction with one of these and you could work on your car in shorts if you'd like.
Can you tell me more about this electric heater? Make/model, etc,,,? Mid-50's is actually nice garage weather as far as I'm concerned. A couple weekends back I had to use my propane heater to go from 48 to 55. Perfect. But that's about as good as I can get from the thing.
MDG
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 11 2011, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 10 2011, 11:38 AM) *

Can you tell me more about this electric heater? Make/model, etc,,,? Mid-50's is actually nice garage weather as far as I'm concerned. A couple weekends back I had to use my propane heater to go from 48 to 55. Perfect. But that's about as good as I can get from the thing.

Made by Dimplex who manufacture a large range of different types of heaters right up to warehouse sized ones.

I originally was thinking a ceiling mount type as picture above; my issue was headroom; which I didn't have - about 9' max.

The guy who services and cleans my furnace recommended this one. I think my gagrage is classed as a one and a half - I can fit both 914's in with room to squeeze between them. A double car I'd use two of these.

For high ceilings or open rafters I probably would have gone with natural gas. For a typical residential garage, I have been using this one for 3 years now. I do have a dehumidifier in there too and it makes a HUGE difference.
Mark Henry
Found this cool...or should I say "hot" site!
Has a calculator for gargage size, fuel used, etc.

http://www.ultimategarageheater.com/index.php

I won't show you mine because it would be bragging shades.gif 100k DV propane furnace heating 1600sq/ft with 12'ceiling
Not cheap but I traded for work I did on my friends 911, who is a GM at a HVAC supply company, the furnace is scratch and dent. It really did fall of the truck, I had to hammer out a big dent on the backside.

58*F is good for working on cars, but I also do woodworking and the glues need 70*F.
Setting it at 49*F at night I burn $600-1000 year on fuel, depending how much wood and paint work I do in the winter.If I was going full time in the shop I'd say $1200/yr in fuel.
VaccaRabite
*I say this every freak'n winter*
I need to insulate my garage!

The 70K BTU heater I have will warm up the whole thing, and if I actually put some insulation in like I promise myself I would do every year the entire shop would be warm and stay warm. As it is, the shop sheds heat like nobodies business and I have to keep running the heater the whole time I am out there to keep it comfortable.

Do as I say, not as I do. Spend a weekend putting up insulation! It will make the winter much more tolerable, and help keep the heat out in the summer as well.

Zach
MDG
Everything Zach said. Yes. You'll be amazed at how little heating power you actually need if properly insulated. And I can't say it enough - get a dehumidifier. Dry air heats up in a fraction of the time and takes far less cycles required to it keep warm. Your body reacts to the damp chill much more so than low temps.

And our cars? Nuff said. Heating and cooling, Heating and cooling, Heating and cooling - causes a LOT of moisture. The kind that turns our cars to dust.
balljoint
This all said there is no excuse for welding or operating other spark generating tools like grinders while wearing nothing but your underwear. No matter how toasty warm your shop is you should always wear the proper attire and safety equipment.

Just ask Todd. His nickname in highschool gym class was 'Spot'.

This has been a 914world Admin Authorized Tip.

There may or may not be 699 more to follow.

MDG
Good point, Dave.

Plus there is the irreparable psychological damage. Those emails the Doc was sending around a couple of weeks back - Zach wearing nothing but a pair of leather welding gloves and his tighty-whities . . . blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Nah man, must have been Scotty. I ain't worn tighty whities since high school in the early 90s.

I believe my balls should be free.

Zach
SteveL
Both me and my brother-in-law have one of these, both for insulated 3 car garages:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...07961_200307961
I have had mine for 4 years with absolutely no issues. Love it.
tdgray
That looks like a nice on too Steve...

Dudes... I am always wearing the proper protection... I learned my lesson the hard way early on biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I was at home depot today getting stuff I forgot yesterday for the new baby-to-be's room restoration, found myself looking at insulation. Going to start with the roof, then foam the garage doors, then the floor between the attic woodshop and the garage proper. Can't buy anything till after xmas though...
JStroud
My garage is 25 x 25, and insulated, but it still gets cold in the winter. Last year I picked up this propane hanging shop heater on craigslist. My ceilings are only 9', you just have to find a spot out of the way. Mine is 75k btu overkill for my garage but it takes 15min to go from 45 to 70. Its a vented forced fan unit, havent really noticed a humidity problem, but i only run it 15 min at a time maybe 4 -5 times a day. I put mine on a switch instead of a thermostat, that way I don't leave it running. Haven't really noticed a difference in my propane bill, but I dont use it everyday.
But there's nothing like working in a warm garage.
santa_smiley.gif
Jeff

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Since I dont pay for electrical here, I need to find a nice electric heater for my 1.5 car garage. I have been using my two 500W halogen bulbs, but that aint gonna cut it now that the temp has began to plummet.
pete-stevers
Rich I use a wood heater box, which drys out and heats 2400 sqr feet of non insulated metal walled shop...but you may an aversion to having a wood stove in your shop, I also have a natral gas heater, converted to propane, but dont use it unless it gets crazy cold....
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 12 2011, 08:32 AM) *

Since I dont pay for electrical here, I need to find a nice electric heater for my 1.5 car garage. I have been using my two 500W halogen bulbs, but that aint gonna cut it now that the temp has began to plummet.

Nice calculation tool here: http://www.ultimategarageheater.com/garage...-calculator.php

Use their numbers then find a nice electric units for under $200 on the web.

When back in Great Falls, VA, it was so cold and the garage so big (2 car plus) and not insulated, it was about impossible to heat the sucker.
Eddie914
I have a 30,000 BTU propane reddy heater rpl30 I am not using that you can borrow ... although it needs a high pressue regulator. I friend bought it off craigslist with no regulator ... bought a BBQ regulator from Lowes only to find out the BBQ regulator is LOW pressure and the reddy heater needs a HIGH pressure regulator. He gave up and bought a new complete unit.

I have not had the time to enclose my carport so I will not be ready to use the heater in the forseable future.

Cheers,

Eddie
914werke
well Zack hit it on the head I know I should have already insullated my Garage
but that would start an ENTIRE new project including emptying it, stripping the walls of all the crap Ive got hanging addressing the Air piping and wiring for necessary lighting addressing my standby panel ect ect.... wacko.gif slap.gif rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif
My floor space is all but consumed so a wood stove wont do. Thats why I was thinking of a hanging unit as access to my gas line is easy.
The units depicted seem pretty big at 24x19x12 I recall seeing older reznor units that were smaller than that.
tdgray
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 12 2011, 11:24 AM) *

I was at home depot today getting stuff I forgot yesterday for the new baby-to-be's room restoration

Congrats... I think... you do know what makes that happen right blink.gif

Better you than me... I'm too old for that now

tdgray
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 12 2011, 05:00 PM) *

well Zack hit it on the head I know I should have already insullated my Garage
but that would start an ENTIRE new project including emptying it, stripping the walls of all the crap Ive got hanging addressing the Air piping and wiring for necessary lighting addressing my standby panel ect ect.... wacko.gif slap.gif rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif
My floor space is all but consumed so a wood stove wont do. Thats why I was thinking of a hanging unit as access to my gas line is easy.
The units depicted seem pretty big at 24x19x12 I recall seeing older reznor units that were smaller than that.

I don't know... I didn't they were all that large... besides the have a low clearance design and mount to the ceiling... not really going to be in the way.

My problem is venting... I don't want to go through the roof but I don't want to melt my siding either... must do more research.
jt914-6
In a garage I worked out of I had a heat/air unit installed. The inside portion which was about the size of a unit in a motel room was inside the garage. It had another unit which was mounted outside. Worked great in summer and winter. Had a remote control for on/off, temp control, and to aim the air up/down and left/right. Well worth the money spent on it.
tomeric914
My garage wasn't insulated when I first installed the unit heater. Now it is, except for over by my workbench and it's a night and day difference.

BTW, calculating what size heater isn't that difficult. 35 BTU/sq ft ahould be more than enough to heat even an uninsulated garage.

SO for example, my garage is 25 x 25 x 35 BTU/sq ft = 22,000 btu

Keep in kind that's the OUTPUT you need from the heater.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 11 2011, 12:13 AM) *

Can you get me one?

I could. Where in Messytwoshits are you located? Probably better to PM me.
rhodyguy
cold in the winter, blazing in the summer so time to insulate. while you're in there, ancient service needs an upgrade, weird/shared with house circuit wiring, undersized (failing)post and beam, 2x6 ceiling rafters were overspanned, 0 insulation, stupid old wood burning stove and stack. so...200amp service with new desinated ciruits for the garage, R-15 in the walls, R-38 in the lid, 5/8 type X gwb for ceiling, and 1/2 for the walls. old p&b removed and clear spanned with 4 24' LVLs and a double up on the rafters, and a nice older elect wall mount heater(free).

call insulation4less. they provided the insulation and installed it way cheaper than i could just buy it from lowes, home depot, etc and way, WAY faster. i sure didn't miss the fiber itch.

make sure your elec service has room for the heater before you buy.

k
championgt1
WOW!! Kevin that is looking great. Way different huh? I gotta stop by and check it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.