Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Dimensions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thestigz06
Ive noticed that alot of different exhausts marketed (exchangers and headers) for different size motors so whats the difference measurement wise in the 1.7 vs the 2.0?
Dave_Darling
The main difference is at the muffler flanges, where the heat exchanger part bolts up to the muffler. The 1.7 (and 74 1.8) versions are a different distance apart when mounted on the engine, and they are a little further up off the ground.

There is at least one post out there that has the measurements along with pictures, but I haven't looked for it in a while.

--DD
pilothyer
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Dec 10 2011, 12:20 PM) *

Ive noticed that alot of different exhausts marketed (exchangers and headers) for different size motors so whats the difference measurement wise in the 1.7 vs the 2.0?

Compliments of The Jeff Bowlsby Site. This picture is worth a thousand words.

johannes
1.8 and 2.0 of 1975-1976 exhaust system is also very different.
Thestigz06
Good to know. Thanks from the knowledge guys! smile.gif
Highland
I just put on my heat exchangers/exhaust on my 2.0L (torqued to 15 ft-lb at the heads) and the 19 3/4" dimension shown in the picture measures 19 1/4" on my set-up. Engine is outside of car.

Do I have to loosen up the exhaust to head nuts to wiggle the muffler and muffler bracket in place then tighten everything or is there something wrong?

Drums66
QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 12 2011, 05:33 AM) *

1.8 and 2.0 of 1975-1976 exhaust system is also very different.

.....Yes! idea.gif
bye1.gif
Highland
I think they're 2.0L 73-74 heat exchangers. Aren't the 75-76 more square? and the 1/7/1.8 L heat exchangers have a vertical bend at the muffler end?

I know it's a poor picture, but maybe someone can tell me if I've got the wrong part.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 10 2014, 04:12 PM) *

I just put on my heat exchangers/exhaust on my 2.0L (torqued to 15 ft-lb at the heads) and the 19 3/4" dimension shown in the picture measures 19 1/4" on my set-up. Engine is outside of car.

Do I have to loosen up the exhaust to head nuts to wiggle the muffler and muffler bracket in place then tighten everything or is there something wrong?

Yes loosen the nuts on the exhaust studs at the heads and you can get the muffler and bracket to line up.
Bruce
Highland
That worked. Thanks for the help.

A couple more questions.

1) Does it matter what order in which I tighten everything back up?

2) Do I just add washers between the transmission and muffler hanger to close up any gap there?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.