Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working out the bugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
Well, I took the 914 out for a spin today after tinkering and started doing more troubleshooting since i've had some time to do so. Turns out my ECU doesn't have the knob for tuning mixture as other ecus have. After some research I see that mine is a very early ECU that didn't get that functionality on it. Part # is 0 280 000 015. I've tried to see how mine is tuned and thus far I can't find out a way that the fuel mixture is tuned on the early ecus (if at all?).

But I think may issue may be perhaps other variables. I have dealt with the vacuum leaks and found the last few and patched them up. I also noticed at idle if I pinch the retard hose that the car smooths out and seems to run ok. I believe that I have either set my timing incorrectly or perhaps one of the hoses is routed improperly for one. I also have a spare Manifold Pressure Sensor that I am going to try as well that is good and rebuilt.

Aside from that, the car is still running great and it feels good to get out and drive it. Work has been so busy lately I haven't bothered to slow down and enjoy the simple things.
rick 918-S
Do you have a vaccum hose diagram? I don't have one for the early cars but I'm sure someone here has one. IMO you shouldn't ever have to tweek the ECU setting if all other things are right with the car. Timing is absolutely important. Vaccum is equally important. Good luck.
r_towle
Swap the hoses going to the distributor?

Or
Remove the retard hose and plug it closed.
Leave the port on the distributor open to the air.
You don't need the retard.

mrholland2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 11 2011, 07:44 PM) *

Swap the hoses going to the distributor?

Or
Remove the retard hose and plug it closed.
Leave the port on the distributor open to the air.
You don't need the retard.

Soooo, if the vacuum retard isn't working on my 1.7 (1.8 sorta), what should I do?
corsepervita
Alright good info thanks guys. I'll doublecheck and reset my timing and my vacuum hoses and see where it's at from there. I recently bought an analog multimeter just so I could check dwell and things like that for the 914 and troubleshoot things better. I've been 100% digital up till now but I'm finding the analog tools really helpful in my diagnoses lately.

I'll report back when I find out more.
r_towle
I am not sure if a mutlimeter can verify your dwell.
I use a dwell meter from sears.
Its just for dwell and tach.

Rich
corsepervita
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 12 2011, 06:18 PM) *

I am not sure if a mutlimeter can verify your dwell.
I use a dwell meter from sears.
Its just for dwell and tach.

Rich

It's an old analog "diagnostic tool" has a dwell meter setting on it for 4/6/8 as well as tach on it. It's a heathkit CM1073.

I guess perhaps I'm used to calling it a multimeter, that may be the incorrect word for the tool.
TheCabinetmaker
Multimeter usually refers to an electrical meter that reads volts, ohms, continuity, etc. I don't know if there is a digital dwell meter. Most all dwell meters read dwell, rpm, volts(sometimes).

BTW, dewll MUST be set prior to timing.
corsepervita
Thanks vsg914. You could say I'm a "young'n'..." and I'm normally a digital kid. The 914 is the first car I've owned that is a points system. So I haven't dabbled with these sorts of tools before. Pardon my neuling ignorance. I appreciate all the advice. Good tip on the timing, I did not do that last time, will ensure I do this time around. I'll learn this stuff yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.