Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need..BOOM..bass..BOOM..BOOM....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
i might be convinced in cutting up the console but has anyone used one of those tube things in the passenger footwell? i am getting tired of listening to something that sounds like an am radio....
Mike's2nd914
I had my first 914 back in high school and was into the bass thing back then. I built two boxes that went down at an angle from the front of the seats to the floor. They went right under my thighs/knees. I carpeted them with matching carpet and had RF 10's in them. They did not get in the way at all. You could not move the seats forward and back but then I never had a reason to move them anyway. I had RF separates in the factory 5" x 7" locations and some RF tweeters mounted in small, vinyl covered cubes mounted between the headrest and the coat hooks. Up front, I had a carpeted board mounted to the vertical wall above the spare. That board held a RF 300 watt amp to drive the subs and a RF 150 for everything else.

That little car would really rock! When I sold the car, I kept the boxes. Another guy in my area had a 914 and had heard about the install I had done on mine. He gave me $200 just for the boxes. That was back in '88.

Anyway, where there's a will, there's a way!
scottb
DAMN!

all i wanted was one of those tubes i can buy at the crappy car parts shack down the street. i may have to re-think and entirely over-engineer this whole thing! harry conick will never sound better! hehehehehehe aktion035.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif
Mike's2nd914
Yeah, I guess if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!! mueba.gif
Brad Roberts
I used a Stillwater Kicker Classic under the dash. It was designed for the package shelf of a BMW 325. I flipped it upside down and ran a AC cut center console. It semi covered the fuse panel... but rocked out big time. The tweeters where pointing straight at your face and the subs where pointing straight at the floorboards. It would blurr your vision with a Punch 45 wired mono to the subs on one channel and sterio for the tweets. I ran nothing else in the car. Worked great and you couldnt see it standing above the car looking into it. The tubes scream... STEAL ME.

B
StratPlayer
I saw a thread I think over at the PP bbs and some guy had a tube base in between the seats it doubled as a center rest... He also posted some pictures of it. Also showed a speaker in the center console on another post.
madd_dogg_914
I took out the passanger side styrofoam footrest thingy, behind the carpet. I used it to make a box out of 3/4" MDF to house a 10" Pioneer Premier sub. The passanger only loses about 2-3 inches of footroom, but if you move the seat forward a notch, then recline it a little it works out great (except for the 6 foot and up people, but hey, what are they doing in a 914 anyways.

If I find my camera I wil post some pics of it. It is pretty neat-o I think.

-Chris
Curvie Roadlover
Madd Dogg, I'm anxious to see pics. I'd like to do somethiing like that myself.
madd_dogg_914
Okay I dug out the ol' camera and took a few clicks. Here we go.

Here is a side view of the box. I know it looks crazy, but it fits in the opening PERFECTLY!
madd_dogg_914
Here is the other side. I know it LOOKS like it is really big, but take out your styrofoam peice and compare. This is only a couple of inches bigger.
madd_dogg_914
Here is a closeup in the car
madd_dogg_914
And the final product, from a step back. It looks a little gaudy, but I think you could cover the sub completely (like a sealed box, and carpet right over it, just vent it out the top. This is a prototype I spent a day making. I carpeted it really crappy and it has a few holes which I filled with silicone. I am sure there is a better way, but I know of only one way, and that is MY way. Hope you enjoyed. It is a PITA to make it but GOD what bass! I have 500 watts mono going to her and she LOVER it!
scottb
i noticed a boat load of room under the dash at the end of the passenger foot well. a great place for a bass unit. absent putting a triangular box up there, could a tube be hidden? i know about having the car broken in to and it sucks. fortunately the thieves were too stupid to pull the stereo. smash.gif fighting19.gif
Brad Roberts
We did the same thing several years ago and completely hid the speaker and used a non sound absorbing "carpet" over the top of it. Most people didnt know it was there until their feet starting vibrating.

B
scottb
my wife is 5'10 and would hit a box at the end of the foot well. i think i have to fashion something to fit up inder the dash....

hmmmmm....... time to buy more tools i think. lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
Interesting console....no third gauge? hmmm interesting...very interesting...i too need to buy more tools!
Brad Roberts
The console has 3 gauges.. just spaced closer together top to bottom.

I saw one of the AC consoles for sale this past weekend at my swap meet (which is what reminded me of the system I did when I was 20-21)

B
madd_dogg_914
I have the temperature guage in the updated gas and idiot light pod in the stock location. Certainly didn't need to see how hot I was running on two different guages, so I popped in the emblem and it looks good I think. So now I have a Porsche emblem in console, on steering wheel, on shift knob, and a 914 emblem over the ash try. No one is gonna think I am driving a Ferrari from the inside!

-Chris

Or from the outside for that matter!!! lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
East coaster
Sacrificed a 6"powered tube and put the components in an MDF box made to replace the console tray. It pumps bass nice! Your going to win any thump contests, but it looks good and sounds better. I also had one a few years ago with an 8" in the passenger foot well area (where the foam goes) and it worked good, but this one actually sounds better.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2003, 06:54 PM)
The console has 3 gauges.. just spaced closer together top to bottom.

i see that it had three gauges, but was curious as to why he pluuged in an emblem....now i know wink.gif what sender did you use? you wanna post a pic of your gauge? i am dooing the same thing...do you have a handbrake warning light?
madd_dogg_914
Here is the picture. It uses the stock sender in the taco plate thingy. The e-brake light is now one of the small ones, next to the alternator warning light.
Jeffs9146
Here is mine again!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Another, custom contacts!
Jeffs9146
Last one!
Brad Roberts
East coaster... send me your avatar pic.. I'll resize it for you.

Use: Brad@all914.com

B
TonyAKAVW
I don't have a pic of it at work unfortunately, but I replaced the center armrest/cushion between the seats with a similarly sized box that I made from half-inch wood ( I think it was that really densly layered plywood) and installed an upward firing 6 inch woofer. It doesn't provide a ton of bass, but it sounds decent enough, and looks kinda cool.

I'll try to post a pic of it later

-Tony
Anton
Anyone installed a bass-box in the front luggage compartment? Cause that is what I intend to do. Already have 2-way Infinity speakers behind the original grilles. Sound fine, only no bass... sad.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Anton @ Apr 30 2003, 09:57 AM)
Anyone installed a bass-box in the front luggage compartment? Cause that is what I intend to do. Already have 2-way Infinity speakers behind the original grilles. Sound fine, only no bass... sad.gif

The front trunk is effectively sealed from the cabin. There is no air passage between them. I don't think this will be effective unless you start drilling great big holes in things. To have good bass you need to be able to move the air between the speaker and the listener. You can put a sub in the trunk of a typical car because the trunk isn't really sealed - there's just a fabric seat-back separating the trunk and cabin. In the 914 you would have not just one, but two sealed steel bulkheads separating you from the sub. This could work if you could port from the trunk to the cabin but I don't see how you could with the gas tank in the way.
You could do what a local stereo shop did. They build their competition vehicle out of a 914. They moved the gas tank to the spare tire area (don't know why they didn't use a fuel cell) and then built the old gas tank location into a huge enclosure for 4 x 12" subs firing directly into the cabin under the dash.

-Ben M.
Anton
Thanks Ben, this sounds logical to me and puts a stop to my plan. Doing complete gas tank relocations is off-limits for me, so I will have to come up with plan B. wink.gif

Anton
airsix
QUOTE(Anton @ Apr 30 2003, 10:45 AM)
Thanks Ben, this sounds logical to me and puts a stop to my plan. Doing complete gas tank relocations is off-limits for me, so I will have to come up with plan B. wink.gif

Anton

I really like Jeff's console (assuming adequate volume). I did a console last year but it was from scratch, not a modified stock console like Jeff's. Did I mention I like Jeff's? smile.gif Anyway, I yanked out my console box and built a passenger footwell box and made it fit under the carpet. Stealth. You can't tell it's there unless you know 914's and notice 5 inches of footwell missing. But... I might be tempted to get a real console and modify it like Jeff's. I really like the look and could use some more guage space.

-Ben M.
Russ K
I think this is the subwoofer solution every 914 owner has been looking for.

Think about it.. I'm guessing you could get a (crappy looking) spare targa for ~$40.
kdfoust
I've been thinking about getting this one:

NOS bass tube

Do an under dash mount or on the floor mount in the center where the console would go (no console in my car).

It'll probably get some attention at tech inspection biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Thanks Ben! You don't know how much your complements mean to me!! lol I spent many hours calulating volumes and designing that! I have a spair consol with gauges if someone needs a starter ($150) mueba.gif

Jeff
Anton
QUOTE(Russ K @ Apr 30 2003, 06:01 PM)
I think this is the subwoofer solution every 914 owner haas been looking for.

Darn, there goes the neighborhood. lol2.gif
meursault
That car is too funny.

There was some joke phenomenon on the internet some time ago that the writing on the front bumper on the car alludes to. Otherwise, I might be tempted to think that the license plate refers to the more fishy variety of bass. Here's a video having to do with the joke. Kinda catchy...

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/video3.shtml
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.